Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  They're Coming, They're Coming!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They're Coming, They're Coming! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
The relatives are coming!

The girls and their families are visiting in June within 2 weeks of each other. I cook for 2 most of the time, now and then we have family for 1 meal and DS usually brings a dish or two. But in a few weeks we will have Five guests for almost a week! OMG!!! The next group will be only three, but I will probably still be recuperating from the first one.

Here is the plan:
Breakfast: We are cereal people so I'll have a variety of dry cereals, strawberries, blueberries, milk and juice to help yourself. I will probably do the big country breakfast one morning.

Lunch: Between going to the beach and day trips that will not be a big priority. I am stocking up on luncheon meats from the deli when it is on sale and vac sealing and stashing in the freezer. Plus I'll have a variety of breads, rolls, peanut butter, etc on hand along with some chips and other snack foods.

Dinner: That is the big concern and I think I have a plan to keep it all under control and not make me crazy.

Not in any particular order:
Spaghetti night. Meat sauce, garlic rolls, salad with fix your own toppings. Desert - something.

Barbecue Night - Great local bbq place I'll get a couple of pounds of bbq and hush puppies. I'll make fries, coleslaw, baked beans. Desert - something.

Charleston - We're going down to Charleston (actually Mt. Pleasant) to visit Victory park and tour the aircraft carrier and other ships. We'll pack a picnic lunch and then have dinner at Cosmic Jack's hotdog restaurant on the way home.

Burger and Fries - Pull out the grill one night and burgers, hotdogs, chili, fries, and all the fixins.

Seafood night -Out comes the grill again. Fish, and shrimp on the grill with all the sides.

That leaves one more night. I have a whole boneless pork loin in the freezer I might marinate and cook now. I can just under cook it and seal it and freeze it. Then Take it out in the morning to defrost. Some corn on the cob and a couple of sides and we're done!

Depending on the weather and how we feel - we might go out one of the nights to a local place. But all the restaurants get so busy it is usually a long wait at the good restaurants.
I admit - I'm exhausted thinking about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3407 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got a good plan that leaves plenty of time to enjoy your family.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh how exciting Charming!! Admitedly we entertain alot(family and non family), but the key is to be organized, make lists and do as much ahead as possible. The freezer is your new best friend. When my daughter comes she always pitches in as well tho I want her to relax and enjoy herself. Are there little ones to plan and stock up for?
Just be prepared for the clutter an extra 5 people in your house bring, and surrender to it until after they leave. Enjoy!!

Posts: 3056 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support.

I am not used to a lot of people around at one time. While I enjoy it in small doses, I'm completely stressed after too much family for too long.

I use the freezer a lot. One of my chores in the next 2 weeks is to defrost the spare freezer. UGH!

With the first group I will have one 8 year old, two 20 year olds and on the next visit a 13 year old. None are big snackers or soft drink kids. We'll have some stuff, but they are all pretty much water and tea drinkers.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun to me! But yes it can definitely be tiring.

I thought about making and freezing lasagna. That's my go-to dish for company. When I make it for us, I divide it into four pans (three lined with foil). Bake one and freeze the other three for later.

My son just moved "back home." His last job was culinary manager at a 13-bed assisted living center. He cooked for the residents and staff. When he first cooked for us, we had lots of leftovers. Wink

Posts: 16558 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not used to a lot of people around at one time. While I enjoy it in small doses, I'm completely stressed after too much family for too long.

Yes after our family visitors left on Monday DH said the love is gone but so is the chaos! There actually wasn't any, just 6 people in a house that usually has two.

Your menus sound wonderful. I love your part of the country, our across the street neighbors live 1/2 the year in Mt. Pleasant and DGD's BF's family on Sullivan Island. You'll have a great time and yes be exhausted too. Don't kill yourself cleaning ahead of time and let others help with meal preparation etc.

Posts: 12209 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Charming - those sound like low stress yet elegant meals that all should enjoy. Be prepared to have a night or two when pizza could be delivered or things brought in from a great deli when your daytimes were busy away from home.

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a plan! And it all sounds wonderful. And don't forget the "dessert -- something" can be from a favorite bakery. You don't need to kill yourself baking sweet treats.

Martha

Posts: 5432 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Martha - I'll probably bake a couple of pound cakes and freeze them along with some other freezeable goodies. We'll have strawberry shortcake with the pound cake. We're not big on deserts so it will not be anything extravagant.

DH loves to make milkshakes - so I foresee several milkshake nights.

posted Hide Post
I hope you have wonderful times with your family. I agree with others that you have the most fun when you don't get stressed out about things. Relax and enjoy the visits. Surrender to the chaos...LOL!

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Great ideas and suggestions from everybody! Don't forget to have plenty of ice Smile

ETA....have fun with your family Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2136 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have it all perfectly planned, Charming! For the life of me, I couldn't come up with even one suggestion. Well, actually I did ~ start stocking up on ice and store it in your freezer as you will be AMAZED at how much ice 3 times the people will go through in a single day, much less a week ~

But, Georgia Peach already covered that one ~ great minds think alike! So go with the plan you have now ~ think you will have a great 2 weeks! Cool

PS. Wouldn't hurt to schedule a spa appointment for a long, hot relaxing massage for the day after the last of the "visitors" leave....

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:

I am so much the same way, Charming, I love having visiting family or friends but have to admit that, after more than a day, it can become wearing ~ not because of anything they do, not because of meals and not because of more activities than normal; but simply because I need time to myself without noise, clutter, chatter and such.

So my best suggestion to you is to take at least 3 30-minute "time outs" for yourself each day ~ schedule them as you wish, maybe one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening ~ whatever works best for you OR skip out an some outside activity every other day and take that time for yourself.

Hoping you have a wonderful two weeks.... Cool

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I am now officially in panic mode!

I made the appointment for the carpet to be shampooed on Monday. Monday morning - the HVAC died!!!! Clean - very damp carpets upstairs, everything out on the decks and no a/c to help dry the carpet!! So my upstairs is not finished. And I have yet to start prepping food. Did not get to defrost the freezer. Mad Oh well, such is life.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charming -- that's what makes life more interesting! You'll do fine! And you'll have fun!

Martha

Posts: 5432 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Charming! Breathe!! Whoever the company is will be inconvenienced by no A/C, but no more than you will be. Just roll with it and you'll do fine. Besides, guests need to help do things, too.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6231 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
The upstairs unit was replaced today. I hope the carpet will dry out tonight so we can bring in the rest of the furniture.

I have the pork loin in marinade and I will cook it tomorrow then wrap and freeze it. Depending on how tomorrow and Friday goes I will see about baking.

FFG - Um - it was over 90 degrees today - HVAC is not a convenience. It was well after midnight last night before it was cool enough for us to go to sleep and that is with the doors and windows open, ceiling fan and a large portable fan blowing.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Phase one came and gone. We had a great visit although the weather was not perfect. We ended up with Spaghetti on night one, Burgers, hotdogs and Stadium brats (smaller than usual) with all the sides, backed beans, oven fries, etc. night 2. That was celebration night and we had ice cream cake for desert.

On Monday we had the grilled pork loin (came out very good) we skipped the green beans (too much work) and had corn on the cob, cole slaw, roasted potatoes, etc. Tuesday we had a big lunch at the hot dog place in Mt Pleasant we had pizza for dinner. Wednesday we went out for seafood instead of cooking on the grill. They had to go back a day early so no Thursday meal. For breakfast it was cereal some days, we had bacon quiche one day with fresh fruit on the side and then on Wednesday we had big breakfast with pancakes, bacon, sausage, fruit, etc.

The 2nd crew might not be able to come. Frown We will wait and see.

They were a great group - everyone chipped in and helped out. I didn't wash a dish or clear a table the entire visit. I'm still looking for some of my cookware - but that's okay. DH never puts things in the correct place either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

posted Hide Post
Charming, So glad everything came off so well! Cool

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Glad the visit went well -- and you enjoyed yourself and aren't feeling frazzeled!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Glad to hear all went well--ac problems and all--you did well!

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post