Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Make-Ahead Dishes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Make-Ahead Dishes Sign In/Join 
Picture of Seaborne
posted
I'm often gone to meetings during the early evening hours - eating later with friends. But I like to prepare a meal for my DH before I go. However, we normally eat late - 7:30 to 8:00 PM - so if I'm leaving at 5:30 - the food needs to have been cooked and left under refrigeration until my DH can reheat it. And he does this willingly - and will reheat for two days in a row. In the colder months, stews and chili and other hearty one-pot dishes are easy. But in the summer months, it becomes more of a problem. And in the Seattle area in older homes, we do not have A/C - and the temps can get up into the high 80's - sometimes 90's (like it di this past week) and cooking in the kitchen at the dinner hour is just too uncomfortable. And we are not great outdoor grillers, either. Any ideas?

Seaborne

Posts: 980 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I am often in the same situation! In the winter it is easy. During the warmer months I often make a large salad that he can eat, often with some bread....or in tonight!s case, he is going to bring one of those ready made chickens home from the grocery store. He will add that to his salad,and I will use the leftovers to make chicken salad sandwiches.

I usually have a fruit salad ready, too.

Other times I make a batch of hamburg barbecue. I keep it in the frig, he puts a "blob" on a hamburger roll, wraps it in a paper towel and nukes it for 45 seconds. It comes out perfectly. He can then make as many as he wants.

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Yes, making a meat mix of some kind for a sandwich is a good idea, either already cooked or not. I do that with pork quite often. And I also make ground turkey patties ahead - and refrigerate. Then, he likes to cook one or two of them - and I pre-slice an onion which he cooks at the same time. DH will cook some simple things - like a small filet mignon or lamb chops.

Seaborne

Posts: 980 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Take advantage of seasonal veggies and fruits via salads. There are TONS of recipes for them and they are healthy and nutritious. You can grill or bake chicken in advance to add to some or use canned tuna or beans for protein. Sandwich spreads can also be made in advance and using a processor to make them ensures a quick task. You can make a chicken or turkey spread. Add herbs and spices so they are never dull. Pulled pork is a breeze when made in a crockpot and your kitchen isn't overheated. Develed ham can be concocted from ham steaks that you process, then add mayo, some mustard, some chopped onion, some pickle relish and a touch of hot sauce. That is one of DH's favorites. Leftover beef roast can make for a hot or cold manly sub. The standard picnic fare is always popular...baked beans, a pasta salad, coleslaw (vinegar être or mayo bases)' potato salad. He can boil cob corn in just 10mins. Summer casseroles can be made ahead and divided into single serving containers then frozen. Crab cakes are another family favorite.

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Some of our hot day menu favorites are BLT's; fruit plates with cottage cheese or yoghurt and banana bread, cinnamon toast or a fruit muffin;
gazpacho, stir fry dishes, Chef's salads.

We like breakfast for dinner, quiche, fried egg & egg salad sandwiches, homemade sub sandwiches (for individual ones I use hoagie or brat buns.)

Fresh veggies of the season to excess, such as more than just a few ears of corn on the cob and 1/2 a bologna sandwich per person (to say we had some protein.)

And some evenings I bet a big bowl of ice cream with some fresh fruit would be refreshing except I can't tolerate icy foods down my throat! but DH can!

DS2 just moved to the Pacific coast, I didn't know A/C was not the norm out there. I'm pretty dependent on the dehumidified air at home.
Noticed you folks have been unseasonably HOT lately. Hope it breaks soon.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Seaborne - does your DH like pasta salads? This will last for about 2 days or more if you leave out the nuts. You can always add more chicken than it calls for:

Poppy Seed Chicken Pasta Salad - American Profile magazine

12 ounces bowtie pasta, cooked
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
6 oz pkg dried cranberries
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green onion
3 oz slivered almonds OR 1/2 c walnuts, toasted
4-6 oz poppyseed dressing
Salt and pepper, to taste

Combine the pasta - almonds in a medium-size bowl. (I use toasted walnuts.)
Stir in the dressing, and season with salt and pepper.
Serve chilled. 6 to 8 servings

- A teaspoon of garlic salt gives this salad a tangy taste.
- For a creamier dressing, add 1/2 cup of plain yogurt.
- Also good with a small can of mandarin oranges.
- I had it with blueberry muffins and extra fruit on the side (grapes)
- it will look like it isn't enough dressing. I used about 3/4 cup; add a lil more at serving time if needed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ideas. Thank you so much.

I do make the pulled pork - even barbecue beef dishes - they are standard - but I do try to vary to meat. I even roast turkey pieces - and he will reheat for a 2nd day - and then I will add barbecue sauce and have turkey ready for a hot sandwich.

And I also do make pasta salads - and my pineapple cole slaw - and today, I made a 4-bean salad. But the one thing he is NOT BIG ON AT ALL - is adding chicken to a green salad. That doesn't work. He needs to have a hearty meat of some kind - and then he'll eat a pre-prepared salad on the side. What he likes best is having something cooked that he can re-heat in the oven - all at once. So, that's where the pork and beef comes in handiest.

And we don't really get all that hot a lot out here - but when we do get temps in the high 80's and even 90's, then we're all just stymied - and can't handle it until it cools down. The newer homes do have A/C - the more expensive ones - but any homes built in the 50's, 60's, 70's - do not have A/C. We never need it for more than a week or 10 days at a time - lots of cost for short-term use.

Seaborne

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I am a HUGE fan of crockpot cooking ESP. When I was working full time. The prep can be done the night before or the morning of. Meats are always tender and juicy. The flavors mesh and the house smells great. If a stew needs thickening, it's a quick task. Make enough for left overs. Things like roasts, stews, soups, BBQ ribs, pork, chicken and even cakes can be made in crockpots.

Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to say that for the first time, ever, I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot. I was pleasantly surprised at how succulent it came out. It did fall apart when taking it out of the crock, but wasn't too ugly. It was so good that DH has requested it for MY birthday.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 992 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Peppermint, just call it fricassee! Smile

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peppermintpattitotherescue:
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to say that for the first time, ever, I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot. I was pleasantly surprised at how succulent it came out. It did fall apart when taking it out of the crock, but wasn't too ugly. It was so good that DH has requested it for MY birthday.

Maybe you could share the recipe!!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I guess I should specify that I do not use a crockpot. Usually, anything that is done in a crockpot, can also be done in an oven - in an earthenware cooking pot - and I do. And when I do, then the leftovers can easily be reheated, again, in the oven, at low heat of course. And because I have two ovens, stacked on top of each other and fairly new, I can use the bottom oven and barely feel any additional heat in the kitchen.
I also love to oven-roast whole meals - chicken with lots of different vegetables. But that's usually best when made fresh. Though, we do use those veggies again the next day - and reheat in the oven.
So, it's oven re-heating that's mostly on my mind. And sometimes, DH will use a skillet on top of the stove for re-heating.
This past week, I roasted turkey pieces for a first meal, then re-heated for a 2nd meal, then I added barbecue sauce to shredded turkey meat and had sandwiches - with thin sliced buns. And I need to add that my husband is a Type 2 Diabetic, in his mid-70's and is very conscious of his diet - as I am. So, we are very careful of eating too many carbs - as to potatoes, rice, bread, cakes, pies, ice cream, etc... He eats them all - but in measured quantities. But no such thing as eating dessert for a meal - we never do that. But when we were younger, we did it all - and ate it all - in much larger quantities. No longer abele to do that.

Seaborne