Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Sides to accompany BBQ Turkey--Updated to say you might want to try Aychi's recipe :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sides to accompany BBQ Turkey--Updated to say you might want to try Aychi's recipe :) Sign In/Join 
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted
In the past I've always baked a turkey and also had one bbq'd. This year I'm considering just the BBQ turkey. So, if it were you what sides would you have with a BBQ turkey? The same sides as with the traditional baked turkey? I usually have the cornbread dressing but with only the BBQ turkey I'm not sure, although, my family may miss the cornbread dressing if I don't prepare it! Just seems to me I may need more spicier dishes. TIA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2269 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Yum! BBQ turkey!

I'd make an easy corn dish called maque choux, which is similar to succotash, except that the corn is not creamed. And, lima beans are optional.

Here's a recipe from FN's Sunny Anderson that I tried last year. Absolutely delicious. If you go with the lima beans, try the baby ones...or try butter beans instead.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec...sh-recipe/index.html

Fried okra would also be a great side.

Posts: 5325 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
You have two choices - serve what goes with BBQ...or serve traditional sides. Either one will work.

If you think family will miss the dressing, you could make chicken and dressing with deboned chicken in the dressing. My grandfather liked that...only he wanted whole pieces of chicken. My grandmother loaded one end of the pan with chicken...the other end without so that everyone could have what they wanted.

Posts: 17219 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aychi for the corn dish recipe. I'm may try it with butter beans instead of lima since I have those in the freezer. And I hadn't thought about fried okra which I also have in the freezer.

KYIS, I have about decided that I will prepare the cornbread dressing and the oyster dressing in again this year. I won't prepare as much as in the past but it will still be offered and I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone. I think I'll also have Brunswick Stew and potato salad to go with the BBQ chicken.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Are you grilling your turkey on the Weber or gas grill or is it turkey with barbeque sauce brushed all over it? In my mind BBQ poultry is the stuff with the red sauce smeared on it.
Grilling a turkey is just a different way of roasting, but both would get the same sides.
BBQ turkey however screams picnic type sides to me - potato salad, beans, cornbread muffins and chocolate cake.

Posts: 2800 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Lurah, this will be a smoked BBQ Turkey from a local eatery. Each year you make an appointment for your turkey to be BBQ'd. Very delicious.

I'm liking your choice of sides too!

DH is now trying to throw a kink in my Thanksgiving dinner plans. He nows thinks he would rather have baked turkey. Do men just do this to see how us women will react?? I'm not much worried because I know him well enough to know he will eat it either way Smile

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach
YES men do that to women!

We once had the Thanksgiving menu down to a T - who brought what. We were having fried turkey. Last minute BIL decided he had to have a "real" baked turkey. Most people ate the fried. SIL had a LOT of leftovers.

Posts: 17219 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
GP - The smoked BBQ turkey would be my choice! Something different for a switch.
I always switch up the sides but might have to switch up the turkey one of these years.

Friends of ours always do their roast turkey on the grill for holidays and anytime yard parties and open houses. They offer it with barbeque sauce on the side when making sandwiches. YUM!

Posts: 2800 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of bbq'ing a turkey. I do like to smoke the turkey. When I serve it smoked I have the same sides as with baked.

Aychihuahua - never heard of using creamed corn in succotash either, in the south it is either fresh off the cob, frozen or canned as last resort.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3578 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked turkey tastes like ham to me. Why bother?

Posts: 3484 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:

Aychihuahua - never heard of using creamed corn in succotash either, in the south it is either fresh off the cob, frozen or canned as last resort.

Never did either. I don't know where I first saw creamed corn (which I am not too crazy about) in a succotash recipe, but apparently, this is how some folks make it. Not me.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Aychi, do you use kernel corn in this recipe?

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgia Peach:
Aychi, do you use kernel corn in this recipe?

I use frozen petite white and yellow corn because they are sweet and firm. I don't care for canned corn. And, I am too lazy to scrape kernels from fresh corn cobs. Smile

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I want to thank Aychi for sharing the Succotash recipe. It was delicious.
I used butter beans and scraped the corn off the cob only because I'd gone to so much trouble back in the summer to gather and put it in the freezer! Couldn't find Frank's Red Hot Sauce so I used a sauce DH uses for roasted oysters. All the family wanted a copy of your recipe Smile

I'm sure I'll keep this handy for our 4th of July get together !!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgia Peach:
I want to thank Aychi for sharing the Succotash recipe. It was delicious.
I used butter beans and scraped the corn off the cob only because I'd gone to so much trouble back in the summer to gather and put it in the freezer! Couldn't find Frank's Red Hot Sauce so I used a sauce DH uses for roasted oysters. All the family wanted a copy of your recipe Smile

I'm sure I'll keep this handy for our 4th of July get together !!

YAY! I am so glad y'all enjoyed it. It's a pretty forgiving dish (which is my favorite kind of cooking). As you have already found out, it takes very nicely to creative substitutions. Feel to share the recipe: all the credit goes to Food Network's Sunny Anderson.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,