Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  How Do You Take Your Coffee?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do You Take Your Coffee? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
Do you grind and brew, buy ground, buy instant, buy decaf? Do you K cup?

And once that brew is made -- what do you put in it? Milk, cream, half and half, sugar or sweetener?

And do you limit your coffee consumption?

Inquiring minds want to know Smile

Martha

Posts: 6132 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Haven't we discussed this before?

I buy either Yuban ground coffee in cans for DH - and he makes his own morning coffee. I'll drink a cup and a half of that coffee if it's strong enough.

Otherwise, I have Starbuck's Sumatra beans which I grind for my own use - if I have the time and/or inclination - or when I have company.

Then, when I'm headed out of the house earlier than usual - I use the Starbuck's instant coffee packs - which I buy in quantity at Costco.

I gave my son and DIL a Keurig coffee maker at Xmas - and they love it. She drinks only tea or cocoa - and he drinks only coffee - and finally, I got 2 decent cups of coffee at my son's birthday party last month because the Keurig K-cups are so easy to use. I've given them a variety of K-cups as gifts - so they always have plenty on hand.

I usually drink a maximum of two cups of coffee in the morning - very rarely, a cup in the afternoon if I'm out meeting somebody at a Starbuck's. And even more rarely, I'll have a cup in the evening - only if I'm having a special dessert - OR - I'm playing bridge and it's late and I need to keep my wits about me.

Oh yes - when I'm attending a concert or at the opera, I'll have a cup of coffee at intermission - again, to keep me wide awake.

Seaborne

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add - I always take milk with my coffee - preferably non-fat - but I will use the half and half or whatever else is provided.

Seaborne

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
buy ground, drink with hal and half, 2 sugars or plain.
My 90 year old dad used to grind his every morning.

Posts: 3212 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I buy organic free trade beans (reg. not decaf) and grind in an electric grinder.

Enjoy 2 cups at breakfast most mornings (occasionally have tea instead). Use either Melitta filter system or electric machine. I occasionally have coffee with a restaurant meal.

I limit my coffee consumption for health reasons, otherwise would drink a lot more!

I drink it black or sometimes with stevia.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I only drink coffee in the morning. Have my proportions figured out so that I make exactly one mug
I only drink Dunkin Donuts original. Two spoons of sugar and a small dollop of half and half. Must be strong.

Not a fan of the Keurig, but if I must, it has to be Dunkin Donuts k cups. The ones you buy at a Dunkin Donuts. Not the ones labeled Donut Shop that you can buy anywhere.

Posts: 3270 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half Seattle's Best French roast and half Starbucks decaf. International Delights sugar free vanilla and 1 or 2 packets aspartame.

12 ounces in the morning. Occasionally with desert at a restaurant.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Sep 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Cream, no sugar. The only way Wink

Posts: 3367 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Maxwell House original if I'm buying name brand, otherwise the house brand at Wal-Mart, Wegmans or Sav-a-lot. We prefer a milder (weaker?) coffee.

We use Carnation French vanilla creamer, both of us, I add sugar (too much.) Kids over 10 are allowed to have coffee if they want, but not after 6 pm. Our girl maybe has a cup a week. She takes hers like I do.

DH has a cup in the morning, and takes a cup with him to work. I have a cup during the day, then he and I each have a cup when he gets home from work. My first cup tends to wander and I seldom finish it these days.

We have cut our coffee consumption way way way down in the past couple of years. Not on purpose, but for some reason it just doesn't agree with me anymore. I don't stay awake but get an upset stomach if I drink more than a couple of cups a day. We tend to drink a lot of water.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
We received a Keurig for Christmas so I'm experimenting with all the different brands of K-cups. I like Tully's, Green Mountain, Dunkin Donuts (I really like Tully's). I drink my coffee black and DH uses sugar. We usually have one cup of regular in the a.m. and one cup of decaf at night.

For occasional treats when I'm out and about, I love a Peet's Latte (Frappacinos or Iced Coffee in the summer).

Posts: 6035 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We use a French press, whole beans that we grind -- sometimes regular and sometimes decaf but always try to buy Fair Trade coffee. I'm not brand loyal so I use whatever I can find on sale.

I make a pot in the morning and DH has a couple of cups. Sometimes I'll make a pot after dinner (of decaf) and we'll have coffee after dinner.

Oh, and I always keep a package of Starbucks Via in the larder and a couple of packets in my purse for when we go out and it's late and I'd like a cup of coffee after dinner -- that way I KNOW it's Decaf (too many sleepless nights!)

Martha

Posts: 6132 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
French press here. Grind my own beans, (often Hazel Nut flavored) Enjoy 3 regular mugs in the morning and often a pot of decaf in the afternoon.

Safeway sells Lucerne, sugar free, Hazelnut or Vanilla creamer. I stock up when on sale.

Also have a toddy maker. (Course ground coffee that is submerged in cold water for 9 hours) Then allowed to drip through a really THICK filter. It makes a concentrated coffee that can be refrigerated for a week. Nearly all the acid is removed this way, and one can heat it by the cup, adding 2/3rds water or however strong you want it. It is also the sweetest coffee and often used in crushed iced coffee drinks.

Posts: 9656 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
DS bought a can of Café Du Mond while making a stop at a World Market in Shreveport on the way home from a Tartan Festival in Minden - L0uisiana (see if admin ****s that).

When we got back to my house, he made a small pot and seemed to be in ecstasy. Straight black...no cream or sugar.

Me? If coffee only tasted like it smelled while perking. sigh And not brewing...there's just no comparison in the smell of perking coffee and brewing coffee. I've drank only a few cups in my lifetime (drowned in cream and sugar) and the only thing worse that the actual taste is the aftertaste 30 minutes later. And the only thing worse than that is the aftersmell on some else's breath. I once worked closely with a coffee drinker. I kept mints on my desk and offered her one on a regular basis.

So, you coffee drinkers - don't forget the mints. Wink

Posts: 17216 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Very conscious of coffee breath...tea breath too. I always have mints, as well as mint gum. And I don't mind sharing!

Posts: 3270 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I really prefer perked regular coffee, but we've used a Mr. Coffee or a Brewstation for years. My Dh was flabbergasted to discover not one person in the High School where he teaches recognized a percolator!!!

They still sell them in some stores but they are small and flimsy.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Maxwell House half decaf with 1/2 and 1/2 (DH takes his with 1 percent). I can drink up to three or four cups. If it were full caffeine, I could only consume 1-2cups or I would have the shakes. I recently asked DH to buy some Dunkin D ground coffee as I love the stuff when traveling, but unless it is on sale, he may not. He is a bargain grocery shopper. He already calls my 1/2 and 1/2 "special need". Wink

Posts: 18713 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with KeepYouInStitches - I love the smell of coffee, but have never been able to choke down a cup. Tastes terrible to me. And coffee breath - uug.

Posts: 7219 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Well IM, we drink Maxwell house French Roast which DH makes in morning. I think we like it kinda strong. I drink it in a mug (we have many and I have some favorites which DH recognizes when he puts water in them in the microwave to heat up!)

I have one mug full. With half and half and one saccahrin tablet. Rarely have more than one a day although when we go to Becky's in Portland we usually get a mug full then as it just seems the thing to do!

I use my coffee bean grinder to grind up pepper corns and other things like that!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12866 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I like a dark roast coffee mixed with regular Folgers for every day. We make a pot every morning. DH takes his black and I like a flavored creamer and a touch of sugar in mine. My favorite coffee was ordered from Washington but the roaster has stopped doing the one we really liked!! Bummer. I really like Peets. We also buy Seattle's Best Dark Roast. The local coffee shop that roasts their own doesn't impress me much. Its okay for specialty drinks but not so hot for every day. And don't even try to serve me decaf.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6698 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I used to buy beans by mail order from Peets back when they roasted day of and shipped over night. Talk about a heavenly cup of coffee! But they were bought out and started roasting and shipping like the big guys. Then I ordered from a roaster in Richmond for several years. Now I've found some local roasters but have come to accept mass market beans.

I like to roast my own and have been buying Gevalia beans from the grocery and like their French Roast and their Bold Roast.

I like it black and fairly strong. My tolerance for caffeine has decreased over the years and I now drink about 3 - 4 cups a day. Hard to say exactly - when it starts to cool I add hot to it. I make it in a drip maker - I've tried the French press but the oil that remains makes me a little queasy. I also can't drink most decafs either.

at DSD's over the holidays I used her Keurig and found that the best coffee was the Newman's Own. It tasted more like what I'm used to. Back when the single cup pots came on the market most coffees tasted like instant.

I hate weak or bad coffee. The only time other than the holidays (when I will use some of those coffee flavoring things) I add cream or milk to a cup of coffee if it is really bad or weak.

I also cannot drink coffee that has been sitting around on a hot burner. I thought I would love my Brewstation, but it has a heating element to keep coffee warm/burnt! As soon as the coffee is ready I turn off the heating element and pour it into my pumper carafe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3573 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hard to say exactly - when it starts to cool I add hot to it.

this makes me think of my complaint when having coffee out. I would hate it when the server kept filling up my cup. . . first it would throw my cream/sweetening additions off them I would say to DH "do they want me to spend my day drinking coffee?" he pointed out that although they poured the coffee did not mean I had to drink it!

this thread got us into a measuring and calculating situation last night. DH pours water into the percolator from the carafe to a level of four cups on that. We each drink two mugsful and wanted to know exactly how much that really was. Poured water from a one cup measure into the mug and 8 oz. seemed to be about where we would pour the coffee.

Also turns out that the four cup measure on the carafe is really 3 cups or 24 oz. That is why there is always some residue in the pot. Probably not a cup as some must get "lost" in the filter, heating, grounds etc.

Posts: 12866 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use half caf coffee. When done perculating (in the Mr.Coffee-like maker)we use powdered creamer and evaporated milk. We do not like our coffee strong.

love life

Posts: 1546 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I've had lots of coffee pot styles. Fave is Cuisinart grind/brew, but they last only about 2 years and are now veryyyyyyyy pricey. Currently, I have a regular Cuisinart pot, buy ground Starbucks, and use sugar/sweet n low combo and Coffeemate powder,

BTW, coffee has to be hotttt and strong!!!!!

Posts: 2890 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irish, after a great dinner. I will also drink variations of other alcoholic additions. Other than that, I drink tea with lemon.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a Keurig: like flavoured ones like vanilla, hazelnut, sugar bush maple with double cream and 2 pkgs of Stevia.

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
We've been getting our Community Coffee Dark Roast ground in one pound bags for the last 20 years now. I love it strong with 1/4 cup of evaporated milk and 2 spoons of dark brown sugar. I call it my Happy Cup! hehe

Oh and it's 1 large cup a day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7504 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
KYIS...Café Du Monde...love it too. Best consumed with Beignets! LOL!

Danny Kaye

Posts: 7504 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Zonelady. I love Cafe du Monde too - wish I could have a beignet right now. Will have to settle for my biscotti instead.
I made a double recipe of almond biscotti yesterday for Easter gifts, home use, and I took some to a dinner party. DH said they were the best I'd made in many years.
I dunk them into coffee - but always best, dunked into wine after a good meal.

Seaborne

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Whole beans - grind each night & push the button to make it fresh each morning as I stumble out of bed.
Black for DH, sweetener for me.

Posts: 6664 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Seaborne...DH makes a killer double choco Biscotto with almonds. Smile

Danny Kaye

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Zonelady: Wow - that does sound delicious. I make a traditional almond biscotti - but I make it in a huge quantity - about 12 dozen. And I've already given several dozen away. But I'd love to read your DH's recipe.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
I used to use Folgers decaf in some sort of inexpensive coffee machine. Now I have discovered folgers in the individual tea bag style and I am so happy about it! Dh doesn't drink coffee so there's no reason to make a pot.

I like lots of cream or milk in mine with a sweet n low packet. I am fine with some sort of coffee mate powder creamer and if I can get that or something else to give the coffee a mocha flavor, it's even better!

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post