Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
It's April, ladies -- please share your dinners here. It's always fun to see what everyone is cooking and often gives us ideas for our own dinners!

Martha

Posts: 5423 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
After putting up strawberry jam today, it was scrambled eggs and keilbasa. That was enough cooking.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6229 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Ladies,
Florida Farm Girl, what a great idea. I never thought of Kielbasa with eggs. I love Kielbasa. Thanks for a great idea. We always have Kielbasa on hand.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 992 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Whole wheat angel hair pasta and the rest of the jarred sauce from the other night with a BIG shower of Parm cheese over all. Catalan bread -- which we had in Barcelona, Spain -- about 4 to 6 inches of baguette, sliced in half, sprinkled with olive oil and baked until crispy and warm. Remove from oven and rub garlic clove over all, then cut a Roma tomato in half and rub that on the bread. (You'll get some tomato "meat" on the bread). Yummy!

Martha

Posts: 5423 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Son cooked ground beef with rice, steamed asparagus with lemon butter, and a package of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, black beans, etc.). AND he prowled in my deep freezer and found a frozen Georgia pecan pie to bake.

Posts: 16541 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Made this last night and it was delicious.

Keifer Sutherland's Minute Steak with Mushrooms

1 pound minute steaks, cut into four pieces
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup red wine or beef stock
1 tablespoon red currant or grape jelly

directions:
In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat; cook steaks for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until well browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add onion and garlic to skillet; reduce heat to medium and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are golden brown, about 3 minutes.

Sprinkle with flour, stirring to mix well; add beef stock, wine and jelly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until gravy thickens. Return steaks to mushroom gravy and simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through, turning once.

Note: I used beef consomme, fresh mushrooms, red wine, and red currant jelly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I fixed something really different -- thai chicken with peanut sauce served over rice.

Martha

posted Hide Post
I mixed leftovers tonight:
pasta
chopped ham
asparagus
Tossed with olive oil, capers, romano cheese.

I ate mine cold. Husband and son heated theirs.

Posts: 16541 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martha, can you share your recipe? I have some chicken in the freezer I have to use up.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
metwo -- it's really easy. I just chunked the chicken and sauteed it in olive oil, then salt and peppered a bit. Took it out of the skillet, added a sliced small onion, a red pepper cut in stripes and sauteed those until they were cooked the way I liked it (onion soft, pepper not so much), then I added a bunch of green onion (both white and green parts) sliced and stirred it a bit, then I added a bottle of Peanut sauce over all, stirred everything really well so that the peanut sauce covered everything. Served it over rice. Hardly any time at all. Our local grocery carries the peanut sauce so if our little town has it, I'm assuming you can buy it any place. Here's a picture!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, quantities, I used 2 chicken breasts to the onion, red pepper and green onions and the jar of sauce.

Martha

posted Hide Post
I'll have to go check our grocery for the sauce but I have everything else. Thanks so much.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Last night I made The 1770 House meatloaf that Martha posted the other day, it was divine! Didn't make the garlic sauce to go with it though.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went to Minden Louisiana to the Tartan Festival. Husband had a Coo burger (hieland beef). Son had a Coo burger AND a meat pastie. I had fish 'n' chips (the chips were fries).

Tonight I'm boiling shrimp. I'll add avocados and a mixed green salad. We'll drizzle it all with some of husband's red sauce.

posted Hide Post
Alas, no peanut sauce at the grocery! But then our small town is about 3 times smaller then yours. So it will have to wait till next week when we go to the bigger town. At least the chicken is in the freezer and can wait.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It was a busy day today, we had friends over for drinks and gourgeres before we went all went out to dinner tonight.

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Martha - I just had to find out what gourgeres were and found them at:
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2...french-cheese-puffs/

Is this close to what you made?
Ok, here are some questions:

1. What kind of cheese do you use?
2. Did you poke them after they were baked to let the steam out?
3. Did you stuff them?
4. What kind of drinks did you serve with them?

I always learn so much from you. Never stop contributing, ok? Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nance -- I used a white cheddar and of course, I poked them. An ice pick is really good for that. No I didn't stuff them, we ate them warm from the oven . . . and that way they are addictive.

The cheese ones go especially well with wine, but we had cocktails, real martinis and they go with that too.

Oh, and I used my smallest ice cream scoop (probably 1 inch) so mine were "babies", meant to be popped in the mouth rather than bigger puffs.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Yesterday for Sunday Lunch we had a baked ham, Ina Garten's vegetable tian (zucchini, tomatoes and potatoes, baked on a bed of onions and then showered with cheese), and roasted asparagus.

It was a nice day and we ate in the garden -- our first garden meal of 2013!!!! But there will be many more!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We went from a high of 70 yesterday to a high of 40 today. Dinner was homemade chicken noodle soup and thyme, chive, onion muffins.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Oh, that food looks so yummy, Linderhof!

Last night dh baked chicken breasts so we had that. He also made chicken salad with one of the breasts so that's what I had tonight with fresh herbs from the garden and jar salsa (but with fresh herbs from the garden). Used some tortilla chips with a touch of lime (oh, I love that touch of lime!) for scooping. It was a delicious meal and my hands still smell like the fresh herbs.

So those chips with a touch of lime, I think they're Tostidos brand, can I get that lime herb on it's own? If so, where?

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
For a lunch today a friend and I served to large group of Symphony musicians: loose meat sandwiches; Ina Garten's Italian Pasta Salad; Broccoli, Bacon & Grape Salad and offered Barefoot Contessa's cookies in 5 varieties.

The pasta salad with bowtie pasta was very eye catching.

A trick to slice a large quantity of olive, grapes or grape tomatoes in half - save two lids from cottage cheese or large yogurt containers.
Lay one lid with rim facing up on countertop. Fill lid with a single snug layer of what you want to halve. Place other lid, rim side down over the food, press firmly with palm of your opposing hand and using a very sharp knife, slice between the two lids. Presto, instant halved food, an otherwise tedious job made easier in very little time!

Posts: 2641 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah -- sounds like a good menu! I'm also serving a lunch to 22 today. A salad of mixed baby greens with Linderhof vinaigrette; tarragon chicken tetrazzini, basil cinnamon fruit salad and a corn madeleine; orange cake for dessert topped with a sprig of garden rosemary.

Dinner tonight for DH will be leftover beef noodle soup -- I've got a dinner meeting!

Martha

posted Hide Post
I've been gone a few days to a job-related seminar. After arriving home yesterday evening at 6:30 I did not want to go back to town to eat (ate every meal out for three days-good meals- and did not want ONE more restaurant meal) or cook. I told DH and DS that they were on their own. DS went to the camper to eat leftovers of something he'd cooked earlier. DH ate pop corn. I spread about 8 tortilla chips on a plate and topped them with shredded cheese before popping in the microwave - just that few were almost too much...

Tonight we had hamburger steaks with sauteed mushrooms and onion, rice, Brussels sprouts, salad, and brown gravy for the steak and rice. Delicious if I do say so myself!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
sherry sounds good!

posted Hide Post
Just had a silly memory this morning. My dad did not like brown gravy. As a truck driver he spent an awful amount of time in awful truck stops eating awful food. When he ordered his regular chicken fried steak he always specified "white cream gravy." More than once he got brown gravy. He always asked the waitress what she wrote down...never blaming her right off the bat. One time she replied with "What's the problem?" He told her that he'd asked for white cream gravy and that he did not like brown gravy. She harumphfed him and told him to just rake it off.

So...he held his plate over the floor and started to rake. She grabbed the plate and jerked it out of his hand. Back to the kitchen for his white cream gravy. When he went to the register to pay out, the manager met him at the register and told him that he had taken care of the meal and to not come back.

???!!!!!
I never EVER saw Daddy get his nose out of joint in a restaurant. I saw him go out of his way to try to make a harried waitress know that we (as a family) had plenty of time and not to let it get to her that a bus load of people came in just as we were seated.

The other drivers with him that day mentioned above said he was very calm and very polite with the waitress.

Having waited tables myself...she should have apologized and taken his plate back to the kitchen.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Made a Breakfast Pie & fresh fruit bowl and took Ina's Oatmeal Raisin Pecan cookies to our daughter's campus home the other evening. I baked the last casserole of the batch for supper tonight.

I'd been gone from home for several weeks and my daughter and her housemates missed the weekly dinners. She called last week and suggested several menu ideas - meatloaf, quiche, AM pie, and filet mignon with Duchess potatoes. This week I think I'll take a couple meals over and agreed to serve the steak dinner in a formal style before their graduation date.

Our DS1 & DS2 were here Saturday so I tried the Blue Mill Tavern Loosemeat sandwich recipe. 2 pounds of 96% lean ground beef makes 12 sandwiches. Now if we could just get the potato salad recipe from my hometown grocery store! it would be the perfect compliment to the sandwich.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had more of those delicious Texas Gulf Brown Shrimp...boiled...with husband's red sauce and a mixed green salad. Fresh strawberries for dessert.

Husband and son both complimented me profusely!

posted Hide Post
DS made beef stroganoff. It was delicious! And we have leftovers!!!! Big Grin I don't know if it will last until Monday morning, but if it does I'm taking some to work.

Tomorrow - we always go out after church either pizza or fried fish. We will have roast with the trimmings for supper.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Been craving lasagne for a few weeks so finally prepared a small pan of my favorite Short Cut Lasange served with a hearty seeded bread made into croutes and Chop-Chop Salad.