Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Oven temperature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oven temperature Sign In/Join 
posted
Has anybody tried the sugar test to test if the temperature of your oven is right?

Some background. Made some french fries in the oven last night (425) and they did not crisp as much as they should. A few days before I baked rolls (350 I think) and they were ok but not browned much but not bad. This is a new to us house.

I will go to town to tomorrow to find oven thermometer but in the meantime I thought I would try the sugar test. It melts at 366. At 360 it melted some but not all. I raised the temp to 365, waited 15 min. And tried with a new batch; less of the sugar melted. Raised it to 370,waited 15 min for temp to come up before I put sugar in. It barely melted.

It just doesn't make sense to me. It is a digital control electric oven. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
No sugar test. But when you get that oven thermometer, check it in several different locations in your oven. You will be surprised how much the temperature varies from rack to rack and front to back and middle.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really!! I know there is a slight difference front to back but side to side too? Oh my. How much of a difference can one expect?

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been so long since I've checked mine that I don't remember.

I found out DILs oven is drastic from one rack to the other!!! Made a difference in good cookies and burnt cookies! Frown

Posts: 17167 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I had to buy a new oven this year. It's electric - I have always had gas and that's not an option here.I was told not to buy oven thermomter as they can be off by 20 degrees. Bought one anyway. When I set my oven to 350 it registers 350 on the nose. All my baked goods were coming out overcooked. Called the store and had them send someone out to check. He came with his gadgets and checked and said it was reading perfect. Baked goods still coming out over baked. I'm now in the process of playing with different temps and checking my baked goods at least 10 minutes earlier that suggested times (I'm not real comfortable with this as edges can be over cooked and centeres not done) I don't know if this is an electric oven thing or not but never had this problem with a gas oven in the 50+ years I had used them. Very frustrating!

Posts: 292 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had gas for most of my life.

Wait a minute...let me rephrase that!!! LOL

I've had gas OVENS for most of my life. I now have an electric oven. When we moved in, it was only 2 years old. Something I baked didn't turn out right so I bought an oven thermometer. The oven temperature was not right. The manual told how to "calibrate" the oven up or down a few degrees. I did that and am satisfied with it.

We were at stepson's several years ago...going to stepdaughter's in the same town for Thanksgiving. I took my stuff with me to cook at stepS's house. When I opened the oven to check on the cheesecake...it was done and cracked. WOW! I found his manual and reset the thermostat on his oven. Baked my next dish and was right on the money.

posted Hide Post
Beedeeess, I think it is just your oven. I've had both electric and gas and have had both adjusted. This one just had me confused.

Oh, I tried the sugar test again and it melted it at 380, making the oven 15 degrees off. I then tried a few french fries and they came out correctly.

I'm still heading to the store for the thermometer tomorow. It will be interesting to see what part of the oven reads differently.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Beedees - could it be your bakeware? There are so many types out there, and many recipes now provide instructions for glass, dark metal, light metal, etc.

We have a new dual fuel range that was put in last year. Gas cooktop, electric (convection) oven. It has the built in thermometer, but with just the two of us, I rarely cook large items that require a temp check. This has been a big change from the teeney tiny wall oven that we tore out. Horrible thing - couldn't cook anything in that.

Posts: 3334 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I love electric ovens. That said, there can be problems of course. Double check the temps as stated. Nothing worse than having to fiddle with recipes to get them to work, all because the appliance isn't working right.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6671 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was first married in 1967 at age 19, I didn't know how to cook at all and we had a gas stove with no knob for the oven. Where the knob belonged there was a twisted NAIL to operate the darn thing. My husband bragged that he could use that nail to set the oven at any temperature needed, even 374!!!!! Smile

Posts: 3457 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did get the thermometer and now am more confused then ever. At 325 it read 325 if I waited longer for it to warm up than the preheated time called for. But at 425 it read 450. Now I don't know if it is the oven or the thermometer.

At least I do know I have to leave a longer preheat time. I will be making a cake and maybe some cookies this week so we will see how that goes.

posted Hide Post
Check reviews on Amazon for the thermometer you purchased. Some ARE better and more accurate than others.

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
I did get the thermometer and now am more confused then ever. At 325 it read 325 if I waited longer for it to warm up than the preheated time called for. But at 425 it read 450. Now I don't know if it is the oven or the thermometer.

At least I do know I have to leave a longer preheat time. I will be making a cake and maybe some cookies this week so we will see how that goes.

Maybe the thermostat is broken. I killed off the one in mine when I was cleaning the oven. The repairman was here for 3 hours with the oven on and the measuring the oven temperature at intervals. I had the same odd temperatures readings as you are getting. The repairman said that thermometers that you buy it in the store aren't very accurate but you can purchase a good one.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
There was an article in Consumers Report, and another report on TV about oven temperatures, and how they can vary off the mark by as much as 150 degrees during a cycle.

AT THE TIME, the GE Profile was the oven that varied the least, by 25 degrees either way off the mark.

It's not about a good brand vs. a cheap brand. It's the nature of most ovens.

Don't know if it's been updated or not.

Posts: 4540 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a GE Profile electric stove and the oven is 10 degrees off. I bake cookies at 360 instead of 350 and they are perfect in the 13 minutes the receipt says. My stove is about 8 years old, if that makes any difference.....smooth top and love it.

love life

Posts: 1538 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
May, ditto on all you just wrote. I have the GE Profile, for about the same length of time, and my baking is sooooo much better, using the same recipes that would fail in other ovens.

Smooth top, too. And, love it!

Posts: 4540 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Magic Chef stove is pretty old but I have never had any problem with oven temperature. I set the temp at whatever the recipe calls for and the results have always been fine.

Posts: 3457 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I make my living checking temperatures and temperature uniformity in industrial sterilization equipment.

The temperature controllers in household ovens are not calibrated to the accuacy needed in industry.

Controllers drift. Even if the controller was right when it was installed it may be wrong soon after.

Most purchased temperature gauges have similar problems. They are fine for determining uniformity, not so good for determining temperature.

The melting point of sugar is a range, not a point. Different samples melt at different temperatures.

I don't know a quick-and-dirty way to check the accuracy of your oven.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Sorry to comment so late on this. I completely forgot I took note of America's Test Kitchen method for testing oven calibration. Here it is:
How to check oven calibration
~ Set oven rack to middle position.

~ Heat to 350° for at least half an hour.

~ Add almost 1 cup of water to an ovenproof measuring cup. Check the temp with an instant read thermometer. Add water - warmer or cooler - to adjust water to exactly 70°.

~ Set the cup into the oven and close the door. After 15 minutes, remove the cup, swirl the water to even out any hot/cold spots, and measure the water temp. It should be within a degree or two of 150°. If not, the oven needs calibration.

~ To avoid shattering the glass cup, allow the water to cool to room temp before pouring it out.

Posts: 4567 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have cooked 2 batches of cookies and a cake. Cooked for minimum time and they are okay but I still am unsure. Making ham dinner today for out of town relatives. Hope it comes out okay.

Will try the water test next week when I have time. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
This morning...America's Test Kitchen recommended oven thermometer:
Cooper-Atkins HP24
$6
Sturdy
Stable
Accurate