Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Seeking spiral veggie cutter input
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking spiral veggie cutter input Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
Anyone own one and if so, do you like it? Pros and cons welcome. I am especially concerned with durability and the ability to make angel hair thickness. I have done some research and am still uncertain regarding brands.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you are describing. I have a little hand-held thingy that does potatoes. Have also wanted the larger one that Pampered Chef has for apples.

Haven't used the potato one but once or twice. It does okay, but not great.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Here is what I am searching for, Strings. BTW, your nick showed promise Wink. These gadgets turn zucchini, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, potatoes, and other raw veggies into spaghetti, angel hair or ribbons. I know Williams Sanoma just came out with one. My research gave mixed reviews. I am disappointed that there is so much plastic in these tools tho the resaurant grade versions are steel, but they are very pricy. I know it depends on the frequency of use though. I was hoping at least one person here can offer some feedback. Anyway, here is a link that offers some brands and styles.

http://www.squidoo.com/vegetable-spiral-slicer

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't familiar with you are seeking. Now I understand what you meant by angel hair thickness.

Mine is like the one on the far left in the photo that shows that the spiral slicers have come a long way. It just slices in a spiral with a hole in the center.

Good luck in finding a good one for your needs. Will be interested in your choice. Let us know. Also when you use it, if you like it.

What will you do with the veggies after you run them through the unit?

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I had one of these years ago but didn't use it more than a couple of times. Threw it out when I moved a couple years ago.

Good luck with yours.

Posts: 307 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Strings, I like the idea of a healthy raw veggie pasta alternative. I also like the idea of a fun and different presentation. A salad, for instance, can be unique vs pedestrian with this tool. There are recipes, many from vegan sites, that can inspire the various uses via recipes. Keep in mind that with previous cuts, the strands can come out short too. I once enjoyed a delicious fish dinner in a fine restaurant that had a crust of string potatoes that were flash fried on top of the baked fish. Granted, that is not a healthy use, but special nonetheless. Smile

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Just bought one at Williams Sonoma today and will let you know if I like it....if anyone is interested.

posted Hide Post
I had one like the one on the far left, got it at a fair after seeing it being demonstrated, all I could do with it was cut my fingernails off, must not have paid enough attention when they were showing how to use.

Wanda

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Just bought one at Williams Sonoma today and will let you know if I like it....if anyone is interested.

I am interested in how it works for you. I've been wanting to do this for quite a while, but I've been discouraged by the reviews on the lower priced slicers and completely unable to spend the amount needed for the higher priced versions.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Will do Gracie.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Will do Gracie.

Thank you!

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
These gadgets turn zucchini, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, potatoes, and other raw veggies into spaghetti, angel hair or ribbons. I know Williams Sanoma just came out with one. My research gave mixed reviews. I am

Froo, if you eat this raw as spaghetti, do you put a dressing on it? How much would you consider a serving? I'd like to know how it works for you. the spaghetti sort of breaks down in the cooking which the veggies wouldn't so it would seem to me that a mouthful of veggies spiral cut would be more of a mouthful than one of spaghetti . . . or am I wrong?

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If it's the little thingie that screws into the vegetable as you manually twirl it with your finger inserts in the hole on the end, the reviews on Amazon are not good:

http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Har...ral+vegetable+cutter

Oh - here's the exact set you showed:
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3...0X8R00V9NKXR1PDWATNW

Posts: 17369 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Keep you, it is not the garnishing tools you showed. It is a plastic manual machine similarly depicted above. I haven't use my new gadget yet...perhaps tonight. I plan on using either spaghetti sauce (homemade) or olive oil and garlic (more likely currently) after steaming the spirals a bit to soften them. The Web is full of raw veggie recipes for those interested including using basil and sun dried tomatoes. I will keep you posted folks.

posted Hide Post
Okay...in the link the first photo I see is the garnishing tools.

Posts: 17369 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You have to scroll down the page. It is similar to this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-...iveASIN%3DB0007Y9WHQ

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Froo, I am totally into kitchen gadgets and almost bought the one from Williams-Sonoma myself. Only lack of kitchen space has stopped me for the moment. I am very interested in how it works for you. Years ago, I went to a conference and at lunch we had a salad topped with carrot spirals, it looked so cute and it was a new presentation entirely. Let us know how it works.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
16paws, haven't tried mine yet, but I will report back. I want you to know tho that the sales lady pointed out that tho a carrot was one veggie depicted on the box, you would need to find a real fat one to work on this machine. So....this one won't do carrots. Restaurants no doubt have industrial versions made entirely of metal and retailing for $500-600 per. Theirs can handle carrots.

posted Hide Post
$600 would be extreme to do carrots, darn, I got a new catalog from WS last night and I wondered how yours worked. I know what you mean about plastic, it seems like such a ripoff, but it's hard to find stuff made from metal. My dear daughter helped me clean several years ago and threw out my spritz cookie maker, last year I bought a couple of plastic ones that broke the first time that I used them. I finally got an Italian one but it's much smaller than the one I used to have. On Ebay the old used ones go for about $100 now! The moral of my story is don't let your adult children help you spring clean! Let me know how your appliance works so I can somehow justify getting yet another appliance. (Like I don't have enough already!) Smile

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I saw on someone's blog a FAST way to peel apples & potatoes. First, I thought it was a joke. Then, I looked up on You Tube how others are doing this, too.

They use a drill with a spade bit to hold the veggie, while using a peeler to peel the apples/potatoes.

Another person, put the apple in the apple peeler spiral cut "vice". Then, used the drill to spin the apple.

If I were to try this, I think apples & potatoes would end up on ceilings, walls and through the windows. I may be slower at peeling than my MIL, but I've not thrown any apples at her yet. Smile

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post