Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  tuna to drain or not to drain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tuna to drain or not to drain Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
I've been buying the "good" tuna and it is packed in olive oil. We use it primarily for either sandwiches or tuna salad. but I suspect that like a lot of you,I'm trained to drain. If/when you use the good tuna, do you drain the oil or just cut back on mayo or dressing?

Posts: 3010 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I drain whether it's in water or oil. And if it's in oil, I drain it in a colander and give it a quick rinse.

Posts: 16575 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Drain please...

I also inspect even the good tuna and remove any dark pieces. Fluff with a fork and then add the mayo. Has to be just the right amount!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9352 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with KYIS and Beau's Rose ~ I definately drain and rinse all tuna fish whether it's packed in oil or water! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
When I make tuna salad for sandwiches I mix 2 kinds, oil packed and water packed. I drain both, but have never rinsed. I do press out the liquid well though.

If I'm making salad or cassarole I use water packed.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK - good to know. I made tuna salad last night for dinner and there is so much oil in the tuna! I drain it, but didn't know if people were draining because of the fat or if the oil is too fishy.

We use Cento - very good brand in the Italian section of the market.

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:
OK - good to know. I made tuna salad last night for dinner and there is so much oil in the tuna! I drain it, but didn't know if people were draining because of the fat or if the oil is too fishy.

We use Cento - very good brand in the Italian section of the market.

I've always drained it to remove excess liquid and added salt. Cento tuna has 250mg of sodium in 2oz. Chicken of the Sea has 140mg of sodium in 2oz.

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
Drain please...

I also inspect even the good tuna and remove any dark pieces. Fluff with a fork and then add the mayo. Has to be just the right amount!

BR, why do you remove dark pieces? I know your DH fishes and you live in an area of the country where fish is abundant. So I'm presuming you know a lot more about fish than I do. What part of the fish are the dark pieces?

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Removing dark pieces:
I do that with canned salmon too. My mother always removed salmon skin, bones, and dark parts of flesh. (Husband tries to ridicule me when he sees me do this, but he brags about how good the salmon patties taste.) I later found out that one of my brothers would stop eating the school's salmon croquettes the first time he found a piece of backbone in it.

I know in fresh fish (not necessarily tuna or salmon) that the dark part is generally fatty and fishier in taste.

Posts: 16575 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Still trying,

I have always removed any dark pieces of tuna before adding the mayo. Just couldn't eat it if they were left in as it reminds me of the blood line in fish. I have also found a piece of bone once in a while so always inspect the tuna.

Plus I use the can lid and really squish out all the water so it's almost dry. Some people like the flavor of the water/oil in the mix.

When we have fresh fish, all blood line is removed from the fillet. DH does the fillets cuts all that part out for me. It makes the fish taste "fishy" if left in and we don't care for that flavor. Yes we are picky.

So it's just a personal preference. HTH!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9352 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons we stopped eating tuna is that the quality of chunk lite and white was just going down hill. Some cans would just be too unappetizing. I know there have been several threads about it here. Since switching to this brand,we now have tuna maybe every other week as sandwiches, salad, or in cold weather as a casserole (I have a from scratch recipe to die for). And I don't think I ever have purchased oil packed before -it's always been water.

Thanks for all the input!

Picture of JasminesMom
posted Hide Post
I drain it into my dog & cats dry food, they love a special treat..

Posts: 1469 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: Apr 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post