Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  George Foreman Grill or Others
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George Foreman Grill or Others Sign In/Join 
posted
Does anyone have one or something similar? I don't really care about the brand name. I'm just wondering--are they a good thing? Like for cooking a grilled cheese sandwich? Or am I better off just sticking to pan frying?

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
For a grilled cheese? I would just stick with a good non stick skillet or griddle pan. More diverse uses for it.

Had a GF for a short time, back when they did not have removable (to wash) grid surfaces. What a mess to clean and took up too much real estate to store!

Posts: 9608 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I agree with Conrad on all three counts.
Plus, the model I have doesn't get hot enough to sear chicken or meat well.

Posts: 4508 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two indoor grills. Neither was a GF, but my complaints were just the same--tedious to clean and hard to store. I do just fine now with my double griddle and a grill pan. Besides, half the pleasure of grilled food is sitting outside to cook.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I haven't even thought about my GF style grill in a long time. On a whim during a Christmas season (it was on sale) I bought a calphalon griddle pan with a stainless steel weight. I use it for everything!! I do panini style sandwiches, I grill chicken breasts and then finish off in the oven, same for porkchops, or any kind of meat, or even fish, if you want. Works like a charm and I love it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6575 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
DM purchased a GF grill with me telling her that she would use it a few times then it would disappear in the back of her cabinet taking up space. A non-stick skillet would do the same thing only she'd have to turn the food. (I prefer cast iron, but her wrists had gotten so bad that she replaced them with non-stick...yes I have her old chicken fryer. Smile )

My prediction was true.

Oh...and for Panini - another cast iron skillet makes a great weight!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17033 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I have the "new and improved" GF grills (one is the countertop version and the other is the outdoor version) with the removeable plates so they are lot easier to clean than the older versions.

I rarely grill sandwiches, so I use the GF for grilling steaks and fish or veggies. I don't like the mess that stovetop grilling makes or the heat from using the broiler. And, because I do not like using charcoal, the outdoor electric grill is just the ticket: no big mess and much cooler than standing over an open flame. Works for me.

Posts: 5285 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so the basic theme is, probably not worth it. I remember seeing either advertisements or demonstrations on one of the shopping channels and I thought I had remembered doing chicken legs and steak on the grills but if they don't get hot enough to actually do those, too, probabl not going to try one.

But, an outdoor electric grill? I've never heard of that. Clue me in--is there a cooking rack like there is on a charcoal grill? If so, does that rack get washed after every use or no? I love BBQ but we don't have a grill.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Here ya go: http://www.georgeforemancookin...ectric-grilling.aspx

I love it!!!

You can even use mesquite or hickory wood chips. First you soak the wood chips in water for a good 30 - 45 minutes. Then drain and wrap them in foil, while still damp, creating a small packet. Poke holes in foil to allow for venting.

Add the wood chip packet to the grill when you preheat it. This will allow the the wood smoke to build up. Push the wood chip packet to the side when you add the food, cover and cook according to directions. This works great with shrimp!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

posted Hide Post
I HATE, HATE, HATE to cook. I LOVE my GF grill.
Yes, it is a pain to clean. The trick is to use the little spatula when the grill is hot and scrape off most of the "gunk" then use some hot soapy water and a little no scratch pad. The "gunk" rolls off into the grease pan.
I live alone and it never leaves the top of my stove. Very seldom does something not cook through but I make sure to put the food on it cold and let it warm up and cook at the same time.
Grilled cheese is still one of my favorites. I have a couple of friends of my son who still come over for my GF grilled cheese made with mayo. They say it's the best.
Someday, I'll get one with the removable grills but in the mean time, my stays on the stove ready for almost daily use.

Posts: 1954 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
Here ya go: http://www.georgeforemancookin...ectric-grilling.aspx

I love it!!!

You can even use mesquite or hickory wood chips. First you soak the wood chips in water for a good 30 - 45 minutes. Then drain and wrap them in foil, while still damp, creating a small packet. Poke holes in foil to allow for venting.

Add the wood chip packet to the grill when you preheat it. This will allow the the wood smoke to build up. Push the wood chip packet to the side when you add the food, cover and cook according to directions. This works great with shrimp!

If you have pecan trees available...their wood makes a good flavor too! I prefer it to hickory!

And I "think" my GF grill is on the top shelf in my pantry way to the back. I haven't used it in years...too hard to clean and I didn't like the results either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4823 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Our DS bought a small GF grill for us years ago. My cleaning MO is to immediately lay a wet, soapy paper towel on the still hot grids, which I turn off, just after removing the meat or fish. Close the lid. Be sure the drip tray is in place. When done eating, the gunk pretty much melts off easily and the plastic spatula is seldom required. BTW, I follow up with wet paper towels. Though we haven't used ours in some time, I love it for hamburgers, steak, pounded chicken breast and salmon. Ours even has a bun warmer.I believe newer models have dishwasher safe grids. The GF grill allows the kitchen to remain cool, cooking is quick, grease is removed and it's ideal for 2-4 people.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18667 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I've never tried to do steaks on mine. Maybe I should! I know I didn't care for the chicken breasts I did a long time ago, they turned out rubbery! I've never done burgers, but hot dogs turned out good. But it's just as easy to do hot dogs in a fry pan, so my GF sits on the shelf.

I, too, place wet (haven't tried soapy) papers towels on the grids with lid closed. By the time I get up to do the dishes, the mess just wipes off. Then I take a wet dishrag to finish cleaning it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5983 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, marinating the trimmed and pounded chicken breast should result in a juicy, flavorful product. A quick search provided the following link. I didn't think to cut shallow slits before marinating the breasts, but that makes total sense. Hope it helps and you rediscover your GF grill. Smile
http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2...grilled-chicken.html

Posts: 18667 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The GF "clamshell" grill is the only way I make ribeye steaks. DH and I share a 16 oz. steak.

I rub the steak with a paste of olive oil, fresh minced garlic and a little salt and coarse ground pepper. Then, I let it marinate in the refrigerator for 2 - 4 hours. No more than that.

Before cooking the steak, I take it out of the frig and I put it on the counter for 30 minutes to come to temperature.

I spray the GF grill plates with PAM olive oil and preheat it until it is SMOKING hot, so that the steak sears right away.

We like our steak medium rare. For a 16 oz. steak, that is 4 minutes. Exactly. (Remember, the GF grill cooks top and bottom simultaneously, so cooking time is cut in half.)

Then I let the steak rest for a few minutes on a cutting board before slicing and serving.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
OK, you two, I'll try the steak and chicken your way. I would love to have a nice med.-rare steak w/o grease splattering all over my stovetop when I use a cast iron skillet. I'm going to go and read up on that chicken link now. Thanks for the heads up!

FYI, On The Chew, Michael Symon seems to have convinced Mario Battali about the benefits of slicing grilled steak on a cutting board where he has first put a little puddle of oil and salt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5983 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
OMG, I absolutely love my George!!!

I have the type with the removable grill plates - Usually, I just use a wet paper towel to clean them, but sometimes, I have to pop them in a sink filled with hot, soapy water.

The key is to wipe the grill down while it's still HOT!

I always say I could get by without a stove as long as I have my GF grill and my Crockpot. Smile

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
CALori, Do not overcook your chicken! That is generally what makes it rubbery...especially those boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Posts: 17033 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I had the old fashioned GF with the non removeable grids. It was okay - but I pretty much scrubbed the non-stick off. Then I bought the new and improved with the removeable grids and it did not seem to get hot enough. Finally, I bought a Cuisinart with removeable grids and it seems to get a little hotter and is easier to clean. Still not as hot as I would like, but sometimes in a pinch - it works just fine - especially for grilling fish indoors.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3495 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post