Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  No Kill Shelters. Do you agree with the concept? Support one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Kill Shelters. Do you agree with the concept? Support one? Sign In/Join 
Picture of conrad
posted
Most people I know feel a companion animal with a low quality of life, and due to health or behavior issues, has very little hope of ever being adopted, perhaps should be euthanized. It seems more humane than caging and kenneling for many years, waiting for a natural death. Thoughts?

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have known several situations where an animal who had alleged behavior problems was successfully adopted from a no kill shelter. It all depends on who runs the shelter, how many volunteers and staff they have to exercise and work with the animals, etc. Shelters differ dramatically from one to another.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
That is a good point, 16paws. The individual shelters and their staff/trainging do certainly make a huge difference...in any type of shelter or rescue organization.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I firmly believe that a sick or injured animal with no one to care for him should be humanely euthanized.

I do not believe that calling your group a no kill shelter, then keeping animals in cages for the rest of their lives, is humane treatment. There are worse things than dying.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not believe keeping animals in cages is inhumane. But it depends upon the cage and the facility. And the human interaction that occurs.

Financially we cannot save every animal. There is just not enough money.

I do support a no kill shelter. But then I supported it before it became that.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Arkansas #1
posted Hide Post
I can't support a shelter that kills.No WAY!!

Use it up,wear it out,make do or do without.Mama said!!!

Posts: 1650 | Location: SW AR | Registered: Jan 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until the issue of irresponsible pet ownership is addressed, pet overpopulation will be an issue. Municipal shelters have to accept every animal that comes through their doors, regardless of space. Unfortunately, the "live exit" rate is much lower than the volume that comes in. Once the kennels are full, difficult decisions sometimes have to be made. The animal welfare workers ARE NOT the bad guys............

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
In a perfect world with responsible pet owners and breeders, this issue would not ever need to be discussed.

A no-kill shelter is a great idea, but when the needs of the number of animals explodes the shelter's ability to handle the animals in the best way possible, then it would more humane to euthanize than to put the animals at risk of being mistreated.

If you believe in no-kill, then you need to financially support your local no-kill shelter.

And MOST animal welfare workers are not bad.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post