Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Fish pond with waterfall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fish pond with waterfall Sign In/Join 
posted
I am not even sure if I am on the correct message board, but maybe someone can help me figure out where I am supposed to be. I have a large fish pond with about 50 wonderful goldfish. The water in the pond is always cloudy, making it impossible to see the fish most of the time. I would LOVE to be able to see my fish. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make the water clear and clean? We have drained the pond several times but within a day it is cloudy again. Can anyone help me?

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I can't off offer much in the way of advice other than to suggest a new filter system and pump. Have you posted on the gardening board? Someone there might have more experience as ponds are so often kept as part of landscaping.

Good luck!

Posts: 3479 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about ponds so did an Internet search for "murky pond water" and got tons of hits. It seems most say it is a combination of fish poop and suspended algae. Draining does not help as it immediately come back.

A number of solutions were offered but it differed by site so I would rather you did your own search and decide if a site is a reliable source of information.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post