Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Cats and shag rugs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cats and shag rugs Sign In/Join 
Picture of crayon
posted
Have any of you had a problem with cats destroying shag rugs? I would like to buy one, but want to make sure it's not a known problem for cats.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been years (45 or so) since I had shag carpeting but I do not recall any problem. Our glider chair, yes. Carpet, no.

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Thank you, metwo. I haven't had shag carpeting for eons.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
No shag carpet here either but one cat who loves the find a stray berber carpet thread and pull and tug and pull and tug....you get the picture! I didn't even know shag carpet was made any longer! Do you have other carpets your kitties bother?

Posts: 2316 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They call it frieze or some such word now. You know how marketers are.

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cats can't be bothered with the frieze area rug since they are too busy destroying my plants! They are very busy knocking stuff off shelves and teasing the dogs--they never notice the carpet!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach, we have berber carpet here too, but our cats haven't bothered it.

metwo, we hvae frieze carpet and berber carpet, and they are actually calling the longer frieze a "shag" carpet/rug. It looks just like it used to many years ago.

16paws, my cats could care less about our frieze. They have messed with a few plants in the past, but not anymore.

Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
I think it will depend on your cats. We have 2 cats. One chews & destroys the ends of my shoestrings, robe sash, etc. he's not a year old quite, but our other cat has never chewed on things.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post