Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  animal shelter adoptions... disturbing to me??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

animal shelter adoptions... disturbing to me?? Sign In/Join 
posted
Headed out on normal Saturday errands. Route takes me past road back to county animal shelter... where June, the cat, rescued me over 4 years ago.

Big flashing sign that Pit bull adoptions were FREE?!?

When I lost Grace (suddenly and way too young) in '09, decided next pet would be a rescue. Had always been a DOG person... big ones. Trip to shelter was pretty depressing to me. Many sad, OLD dogs. MANY pits and rotties. Most of the pits scared the stuff outta me. Most of the rotties were much more laid-back. I've had dogs whose breeds were considered "bad" in past... big goofy Dobies and Rotties. Coudn't think of adopting a fully grown dog with a "reputation"... deserved or not.

At least shelter will NOT adopt out a dog without it being fixed first. The day I was adopted by June, a young guy was inquiring about adopting "some kittens"?!? Woman behind counter made very brief eye contact and went on to tell kid the long and tedious procedure for adoption... and sent him away with a bunch of forms. I asked... was what just happened what I thought it was?? She said... YES!! Said when faced with providing PROOF of who you are, where you live, vet name, etc... most of THOSE kinda people just don't come back.

There was a news story several years ago in Philly/NJ area about a woman who was KILLED by a dobie she adopted! Owner had taken high road and took dog, with increasing of BITING, to shelter to be humanely euthanized. Shelter turned around and SOLD dog to woman who was KILLED by it!

Posts: 5575 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand your point? Not all pits are vicious dogs, not all shelter dogs are vicious dogs, etc., etc.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Our last dog was a shelter dog (Rottie) She lived with us for 14 of her 15 years. Was the best dog we ever had. We went back to the shelter last year and got a pittie who was 7 years old at the time. We have had her for a year now. She likes people and children is well mannered will protect our femael cat and tryes her best to intimadate our male cat. We do have to keep her from other dogs. But we have taken her into PetsMart with no problems. The biggest problem we have had with her was last 4th of July when she was home alone and got scared and put a hole in our kitchen wall. I got a new kitchen out of that. She has become my shadow always wants to know where I'm at all the time. Pit Bulls are not all bad most of them are very friendly.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3427 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
i URGE ADOPTION to loving homes. These animals are screeened for safety. You know the other options.

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will admit that pits kinda scare me... even though have had Dobies and Rotties in past. Guess I didn't really clearly state why I had a problem with the FREE adoptions. Dog fighting is an UGLY UGLY thing. I fear for the few docile, lap dog pits who might become BAIT!!

Posts: 5575 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Becky56:
The best dog we ever had was a shelter bullie. She's been gone since 1998 and I still miss her.

Posts: 3193 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pits and black dogs of any size are frequently overlooked.

I think we all agree that shelter dogs, in general, seem to be some of the best dogs we have. Almost like they understand and are grateful.

I think the question is, are "free" adoptions the way to go? Other than the question about about people taking them for "bad" reasons there are other questions. If someone cannot afford a fee can they afford food, health care for the dog? Or is the "free" day just a way to get attention and perhaps find more homes?

Posts: 6719 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In our case, the shelter is managed by the sheriffs department, and cannot receive funds. So the dog is free but proof of spay/neuter and rabies vax is required within a certain period.

posted Hide Post
The shelter gives starter packages of big name pet food when you adopt. Also a "coupon" for a free first trip to vet... any meds are extra. June had worms... not surprising since she was brought in as a stray, so I had to pay for treatment.

They also offer free rabies clinics about once a month... and not just for FIRST shots... includes follow up shots.

posted Hide Post
IMHO, shelters should not let you adopt any animal for free. That's how people who work for testing laboratories and sometimes people intent on harming animals get their victims. There should always be a screening of the adopting person, how many pets, etc and yes, a fee. Too many people adopt without thinking about what it will take to feed and care for an animal and then return the animals or worse just dump them somewhere. My daughter has volunteered at several shelters and all of them had fees for the above reasons. A pet is a responsibility not just something to do on a whim. I like the idea of requiring people to show proof that the pet is spayed or neutered, but how do they enforce it?

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
The shelter nearest me won't let a pet be adopted intact. They spay and neuter kittens and puppies at 6 weeks. Older animals are fixed soon after they arrive.

They charge for puppies and kittens but they charge less for adult pets. When the shelter is nearly full adult animals are free. They have an application process. You even have to tell them which vet you will take them to.

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have an adoption process. Unfortunately there is no way we could spay/neuter every animal that comes through.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
We discussed no-kill shelters this weekend and I was appalled to find out that if an ill animal is received that they are left to 'let nature take its course.'

What is humane about letting a dog dying of cancer, parvo, diabetes, etc. exist like that?! That is inhumane treatment!!!

Posts: 16455 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Money is probably an issue there, although it doesn't cost that much to euthanize.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I have been looking into adoptions from various shelters and was shocked at the price to adopt. The prices range from $50.00 all the way to $250.00 What is up with that?

html

Posts: 2414 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My take? We did foster care for dogs for many years in the past.

The purchase price (or adoption fee) of a spayed/neutered companion animal that has been vet checked, tested, socialized, and up to date on all vaccinations is the LEAST amount of money a responsible owner is going to spend on the animal. Quality food, grooming, boarding and vet care can be costly year in, year out. If one cannot afford to adopt, maybe one shouldn't get an animal?

Bottom line, shelter and rescue org expenses are huge. They want their best animals to go to people who understand the facts above, have the knowledge of proper care and what it costs, and will not let an animal run loose, or not give it quality care.

I regularly stop or call people who were giving away puppies and kittens. CHARGE good money folks or take them to a shelter, (possibly offer to refund part of the cost when they show proof it was spayed/neutered)

It starts the belief of this animal is VALUABLE and not a throw away item, just because it was free or cheap.

Okay, now climbing down off my soapbox. OOoooffff

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very well said Conrad!

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Arkansas #1
posted Hide Post
I agree ,Paws with you and Conrad.

Use it up,wear it out,make do or do without.Mama said!!!

Posts: 1648 | Location: SW AR | Registered: Jan 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post