Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Question on tick control
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on tick control Sign In/Join 
Picture of WWanda
posted
Hello all Wave I would like to know what kind of tick treatment you use. I've tried several, including a flea and tick collar, and since then I've pulled two ticks off my cat's face and three off my dog's head! They are gross Yuck

Help!

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have not known the collars to work very well on either fleas (or especially ticks). We use Frontline Plus on our dogs, but I would check with your vet to see what is safe for your cat?

Keeping them out of deep grass and mulched areas where other wild animals may visit and bed down can help too.

Posts: 9656 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Another for Frontline plus ( and thanks for the reminder!). One dog had a horrible flea infestation at adoption and Frontline is the only thing that did the trick. The other had a horrible tick problem when we got her. Haven't seen one since.

Posts: 3367 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Used to use Frontline, I stopped because it didn't work well for fleas.
I have been using K-9 Advantix II for both my German Shepherds and have never had a problem with either fleas or ticks, and we live in the woods where there are a lot of ticks, especially in the winter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7504 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will check them out.

Wanda

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
This is the first year I have ever had ticks on my dog. We use Revelution that was reccommended by our Vet (It is expensive)we have used it year round. yesterday I was petting her and discovered 2 bloated ticks and 2 free roaming ones and then because I was near her feeling for more I found one on me. YUCK!!! We always used some other flea and tick product also from the Vet. and they said this was better. NOT. Can't wait for the office to open up tomorrow and tell them about this mess at my house. Any other ideas??

Posts: 8127 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Get something from your vet. The OTC stuff does not work. Also ask your vet what they recommed for treating your yard.

Do not use K9 Advantix in a house that has cats. Its toxic to cats.

Posts: 8614 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use k9 advantix on my dogs because frontline stopped working. I don't understand this about not using it where there are cats?

I got a really good spray from my vet, but I just discovered I don't have any, and I can't remember the name. It's a white plastic bottle with blue trim on it. Very effective against fleas and ticks.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We all live in different parts of the country, and have a variety of outdoor environs for our pets common exposure. (for example in a suburban neighborhood where pets are only on cut lawns is different from Minnesota woods or down southern states)

So I also think that checking with your local vet is the best action. They no doubt know what products will work best for your area and situation.

Posts: 9656 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also think there is a difference in dogs. I have used both both Frontline and k9Advanrix with good results.

Lady's mom, the k9 advantix does say not to use around cats. I don't know much about it as we don't have a cat now. You might want to look it up.

Posts: 7144 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It says do not use on cats (I think they all say that) or around a cat that periodically grooms a dog, where they might ingest it. My cats don't get that close to my dogs. The dogs would be mortified if one of the cats tried to groom them.

Speaking of cats: we have lots of ticks here, but I never see them on my cats. Maybe because they stay close to the house, on short grass.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lady's mom:
My cats don't get that close to my dogs. The dogs would be mortified if one of the cats tried to groom them.

OMG that cracks me up Smile I've got that picture in my head now. thanks for the chuckle

Wanda

posted Hide Post
front line seems to do the trick for our two dogs here in the tropics.....ticks are everywhere ww.somepets.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anna Crowe
posted Hide Post
I've found that treating my pets environment inside and outside really helped me to get rid of my tick problem. The collars never really seemed to work for me and I would have to claw my way through my two fur babies backs every night before bed. We live right in front of a wooded area so I know that treating the area would be difficult to do. But I've found that for inside I've followed these tips:every 3 days I vacuum, wash their bed on hot, and I've cleared out the area around my house with leaves and extras outside elements to give my dog only a specific area they can roam in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anna Crowe,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spam is not allowed no matter how you disguise it.

Posts: 7144 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread.

Lady's mom is right. There is an ingredient in Advantix that is so toxic to cats that even minor contact can be fatal. So if you treat your dog, then the dog cuddles with his cat friend the cat may die. Its so bad most vets won't let you use it on your dog if you own cats, too.

Advantix is not the only dog-only treatment with that problem. So read labels and talk to your vet.

One ingredient with that problem is "permethrim". Its also the active ingredient in Nix Creme Rinse, a human treatment for head lice. So if your kid gets lice and you own a cat don't use Nix. (I used to work for the manufacturer.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8614 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post