Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Jerky Treats
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jerky Treats Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
All the recent bad news about the made in China treats...and the animals who have suffered and died...is just terrible!

We were gifted with some grass fed beef...from an old cow. This stuff is terrible. Initially we ate it fresh cooked, but never ate anything left over. I would freeze the leftovers but when I thawed it, we just did not want it. So I packed in in small bags for Son's Kirk. While we were gone on vacation, Son came over mid-week to check on things and he raided the freezer grabbing a steak and a pear cake. LOL That's what kids do! He said he didn't eat the steak but a bite or two and gave the rest to Kirk. He shared the cake with a co-worker who now wants to be adopted. Wink

I looked in the chest freezer yesterday. There's two packages of t-bones - two to a pack. And a trimmed brisket. I put the brisket in the refrigerator. I made a trip home at lunch and put it in the sink...forgot to this morning. After work, I sliced it...still partially frozen in the center and put it in my dehydrator to jerk. I did not season it or anything so the bulk of it will have to be stored in the refrigerator...with small packages deliver to son for Kirk.

Kirk will enjoy it. At least I hope he does!

Posts: 17304 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those jerky treats were reported as a problem more than a year ago. Don't know why the media is making a big deal of it now. Must be slow news. LOL. But since it is still being sold perhaps we need reminding.

Homemade jerky is the best. I am sure Kirk will appreciate it!

Posts: 7238 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a gallon bag full of jerky strips.

That beef stinks. Think I'll give son the T-bones and he can feed them to Kirk raw. That'll be good for him too.

Posts: 17304 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been SEVERAL years since reports of tainted food from China... pet & human. Personally, do see why anyone would BUY FOOD items from there to begin with??

Posts: 5658 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't buy any food stuff from China. I asked DS and he buys a local dogfood that is high in protein. Only it comes in 40 pounds bags and he as one dachshund. Lasts 6 months. When he lived here, we bagged it in 3 gallon bags and put it in my chest freezer. He just bought another sack and forgot to get bags.

He did take the jerky for Kirk and prefers not to give that small a dog a T-bone as thick as they are. Next time DH grills, I'll pull them out to thaw so that they can be cooked. I might cook them in my oven next time I roast a chicken...but that stuff just stinks.