Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  when things go wrong
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when things go wrong Sign In/Join 
Picture of SandraS
posted
So, breast cancer. You never see it coming. Or anything else for that matter. I adopted Priss, a pom-chi from the shelter as a playmate to my darling Skipper. He had mixed feelings. Jealous and filled with wonder. Just like a man. Aslan almost killed her and I got sick. Training her was out of the question. We both recovered, but she's still not house trained. I manage her with limited water supply, but she still leave poop gifts. She's like 5 ADHD children w/o meds . My energy level is not where it should be yet, so we endure. We tried the crate. Didn't matter. Water goes in, water comes out. She's like a baby that goes when nature calls. Any suggestions?

Posts: 2094 | Location: NE Georgia | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandra, So happy to hear from you and know that everyone is still there and doing well - well, relatively well. Wave

Are you serious about wanting suggestions? Sounds like the crate didn't work and nothing else has as well resulting in a dog still not house-trained. Sandra, I can almost understand that when you barely have energy to get through the day as it is BUT, if you can find the energy for one more push, I think you can over-come this challenge as well....

You are right ~ water goes in and water comes out ~ but where there happens is up to you. Need to set up a schedule for time outside (when the "water" goes outside) and time inside when it doesn't. Have you tried that?

I'm sure that you are just so over-whelmed with everything that you just don't have the energy to under-take house training right now BUT, if you give it a chance, bet Prissy might surprise you how good she can be at this "house-training thing." Establishing a routine will be a lot less work for you than cleaning up the after-math otherwise!

Sending good thoughts your way....

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheltiesMom
posted Hide Post
Sandra...with the obvious post abnove that my 4 year old nephew knows, some3 dogs have a very hard time with the training. WE get them at the ckinic a lot. Even consistency does not always work.

I truly understand how you feel since I just spent 2 months in and out of the hospital with failing transplants. My 2 three month old puppers take so much time and most of my energy so I do know how frustrating your situation is. Ignore the "know it alls" and just think of the advice as a child trying to impress you with something they did not quit comprehend from grade school

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." Ann Landers
"my hairy"kids Smile

Posts: 12390 | Location: Beach Front Property minus the water | Registered: Jan 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SandraS
posted Hide Post
If I didn't want suggestions, I wouldn't say so. I find that comment insulting to say the least. I'm 5 mths post op from a mastectomy. putting down paper towels over an accident is much easier than taking her out. Or was. Is there no end to your arrogance? You are the reason I left this board and the reason I will never be back.
There are so many well meaning people here and I took a few of them with me to Facebook.
Anyone with an ounce of common sense and a google search can find the answers they need without being made to feel small and simple minded.
If I were a betting woman, I would bet this board is loaded with people that you've bullied into silence. How many here have pets that still have accidents in the house? How many are at their wits end but don't want to admit it.
Shame on you.

Posts: 2094 | Location: NE Georgia | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheltiesMom
posted Hide Post
Sabdra...many of us agree with you. She is the reason many people do not post. All the inane posts for attention seems a desperate attempt to make friends. Maybe if her parents took off parental controls she could find applicable and appropriate things to post and not act like an authority on things they really is pretty clueless about since they claim they don't and never has had a dog. I just ignore posts by people who pretend to think they know more then they do in reality.

Yoiu aree right that was terribly offensive....bu7t I have come to expect that from kids anymore

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SheltiesMom,

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." Ann Landers
"my hairy"kids Smile

Posts: 12390 | Location: Beach Front Property minus the water | Registered: Jan 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is "she"? Sheltie Mom, please put names in your posts instead of nasty little asides AND please tell me just how you have come to the conclusion that I am the reason the "many people don't post," and have left the pet board in droves due to my arrogance and bullying...

I really would like to know.

BTW. Forgot to ask, Sandra, am I the one that caused you to leave this board? If so, say so and own it as will I. I apologize in advance if I, single-handedly, have driven you and several dozen others away. Not sure how I might have done that but let's put it on the table and talk about it. I really don't do well with guessing games....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Picture of SheltiesMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:
Who is "she"? Sheltie Mom, please put names in your posts instead of nasty little asides AND please tell me just how you have come to the conclusion that I am the reason the "many people don't post," and have left the pet board in droves due to my arrogance and bullying...

I really would like to know.

lol would it matter? You've been driven off other forums here, (they came here and confronted you then and you denied all of their points) yet you are still here. You want names? rofl try just thinking

BTW. Forgot to ask, Sandra, am I the one that caused you to leave this board? If so, say so and own it as will I. I apologize in advance if I, single-handedly, have driven you and several dozen others away. Not sure how I might have done that but let's put it on the table and talk about it. I really don't do well with guessing games....

"my hairy"kids Smile

Picture of 40kpaintchips
posted Hide Post
Excuse me for butting in, but unless some posts have been deleted, I see an effort at discussion, not know-it-all-ism. What was "offensive"? I think the aside whispers, references to "she" and private Facebook clubs to be far more childish. This is a public message board.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central New York | Registered: Jun 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SandraS
posted Hide Post
Last post. Idaho R. you are the reason. has anyone ever noticed how many people are actually on here at a time. right now, it's 2. TWO. and I'm one of them. Has anyone ever wondered why posts are read hundreds of times without any comments? It's because they are too insecure and don't want to risk the replies from you and the others that are looking for acceptance from the self elected board queen. I've had the PM's about it. So here's what we'll do. You go right on ruling your small little kingdom and I'll go back to the one where everyone is on equal ground with probably at least a million people at any given time. Where people are free to interact with anyone they choose. Or don't choose.

Picture of SandraS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 40kpaintchips:
Excuse me for butting in, but unless some posts have been deleted, I see an effort at discussion, not know-it-all-ism. What was "offensive"? I think the aside whispers, references to "she" and private Facebook clubs to be far more childish. This is a public message board.

Private Facebook clubs? what planet are you on? Ok, this is so pathetic. Ya'll enjoy yourselves.

Picture of SheltiesMom
posted Hide Post
Well said Sandra. I noticed the self appointed ruler is conhstantly posting time and again the same things and always looking for those indiciduals to post to her threads and commiserate or pat her on the back. It's rather sad. I can list several people who do not show up anymore because of this poster. There is a REAL life outside this forum and others have left to go to them and avoid this sad individual

"my hairy"kids Smile

posted Hide Post
Oh, wow, are you guys referring to Idaho Resident? If so, I cannot believe what you are saying. I have seen Idaho Resident be nothing but altruistically kind, helpful,and compassionate to our posters here on the boards.

I remember a few years ago, Idaho Resident started a thread about one of you, Sandra, asking where you were because you hadn't posted in quite awhile and she was worried about you. To me, that is caring.

I have never witnessed from Idaho Resident the kind of behavior you guys are accusing her of. And I find it so utterly sad and wrong that you've chosen this hurtful, vague, innuendo verbal assault on her instead of talking to her if you were upset with anything she said.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheltiesMom
posted Hide Post
I remember a few years ago, Idaho Resident started a thread about one of you, Sandra, asking where you were because you hadn't posted in quite awhile and she was worried about you. To me, that is caring.

she is always starting threads like this, Some folks would think this is vanity because she thinks she is such a font of helpfulnes. she has done it to me. When she gets a vet license I MIGHT want to trust what she thinks is helpful. What she posts can easily be found on the internet almost verbetim. She is useless to most except her groupies

"my hairy"kids Smile

Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Wow!

I doubt many of us here have a vet license. Plus, if I decide to reply to someone, I really do try to help when I can...even with no license.

Any of you right now can look up any post that IR (or anyone else) has made and see that she always tries to help. Always welcomes people to the boards and never complains if someone has posted the topic over and over.

Some folks are more social than others and enjoy talking about all kinds of topics. There's nothing wrong with that is there?

And Lauri, I am so sorry that your t-plants haven't gone well. I really had no idea. Wouldn't wish that on anyone and you KNOW I've been there, done that..and it's NOT easy.

And SandraS, IR was asking about you...and she meant it. She wasn't looking for extra attention. That is NOT who she is.

Trust me I've been in medical situations MANY times (just went through another one) that had me feeling that there could not POSSIBLE be anything else extra to deal with other than TRYING to get healthy again!
Why is it that things always happen at the very worst times possible?! No idea...but I do know that it can make one feel hopeless and helpless about everything!

All I think IR was doing was attempting to encourage you. At least that's the way I read it. She's picked me up from the floor many times(because she cared/cares about me)!Wink

I realize it is very easy to misunderstand someone on a message board. But at least try to give someone the benefit of the doubt before judging why they said what was said. If unsure, send a private message and get it worked out. Isn't that was adults try to do?
Just sayin~

By the way, did you discuss these actions with Priss vet? I believe there are medications to help if she is in fact anxious.

During this last "healing fest", I got to watch way too much TV. But...I will say that I got to watch a lot of Animal Planet shows about unusual behaviors in dogs and cats alike. It usually requires a whole lot of patience and persistance...both of which you probably feel like you don't have much of right now b/c you've been feeling horrible...and I really do understand.

I hate to make this suggestion...and normally I wouldn't. But it seems like to me that your intentions to adopt Priss from the shelter was from a good heart indeed. But then you got very ill and didn't plan on that. Getting YOU feeling better is way more important than dealing with pet problems (just my opinion, Sandra. Don't mean to hurt your feelings).

Ask yourself this question...would I heal better and improve emotionally without the added stress of dealing with Priss?

However, if returning her is totally out, then forgive my suggestion. I'm truly just trying to think of your well being and quality of life for you and the rest of your pets.
Like someone mentioned...it is possible this dog is simply not trainable despite your best efforts.Frown

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to just sit back and let this thread play out but, it's hard to do when your character comes under such un-deserved attacks. First, I posted what I thought might be a helpful response, Sandra. I had no idea that you felt it was easier to clean up the messes rather than take the time to let the dog outside. Reading back over my response, I still don't see that I said anything "offensive."

As far as Shelties Mom's contribution to this post? Shelties Mom, I have no idea what I ever did to have you direct your wrath toward me; if it was actually something I did or said, I apologize whatever it was. If you are just angry at the world in general, I understand and forgive you. Life can be difficult at times.

Sandra, I have to say that I agree with luvtoflip's suggestion that maybe having Miss Priss is just too much for you to handle at this time. No shame in that; you didn't expect to have such a serious condition out of the blue right after you adopted her, then the serious mauling she received at Ashlan's jaws and now the incontinence problem. No one would blame you if you decide to let her go back...

Wishing all of you the best.

posted Hide Post
Sandra S, I'm sorry you're going through all this right now. I'm sorry you feel you had to leave this board. I wondered what had happened, how you were. Like some of the others have said, I don't understand why you feel the way you do toward Idaho Resident. The posts I've read from her have never been anything but helpful and caring. And she may not have a vet's license, but she sounds as if she's had experience with animals. I'm sorry you feel the way you do toward her. She seems like a very nice, sweet, caring person, and I wish I could know her personally. I don't think she's a know-it-all, I think she just knows animals.
I have an inside cat that has lived with me almost 5 years now, and he still has accidents. There may come a time when I don't want to or can't clean it up, but right I don't mind. I've tried to toilet train him, but it's not working. Please SandraS, don't leave the board.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Chadbourn, NC USA | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is the comment "I had no idea that you felt it was easier to clean up the messes rather than take the time to let the dog outside" the comment of a kind, caring person who knows a lot about animals? Sandra S has other dogs and has successfully housebroken them and obviously takes the time to let them out when necessary.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
If ANY of you know IdahoResident AT ALL, you know she is a very kind, caring and loving person. The things she says are out of love and caring and trying to help. I don't see how ANYONE could take anything she says as offensive or hurtful. pkpk23, unless you're a "usual" on these boards, going by a different name, I see this is your first post. How could you POSSIBLY judge anyone on your very first post???

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GypsyDancer52:
If ANY of you know IdahoResident AT ALL, you know she is a very kind, caring and loving person. The things she says are out of love and caring and trying to help. I don't see how ANYONE could take anything she says as offensive or hurtful. pkpk23, unless you're a "usual" on these boards, going by a different name, I see this is your first post. How could you POSSIBLY judge anyone on your very first post???

pkpk, how could you possibly know Sandra has other dogs and has successfully cared for them? Seems very odd to me, for your first post, that you'd come to THIS thread and talk about how Sandra has dogs and has taken care of them in the past.

Anyway, I thought of a suggestion which might help and that is to hire a neighbor or better yet, a professional dog sitter/walker who can come to the home a couple of times each day to take doggie out for a walk and clean up any inside doggie messes.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Pkpk23 is an alter ego of one who likes to stir the pot here.in fact she's on this thread doing so. Those of us who have been here awhile know how she works and have seen her do this! She has to create her own supporters!

Posts: 3200 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am simply astounded at the degree of lowness someone would go to to do such a thing. Bogggles my mind. Hope all of them, whoever they are, leave the boards here and never come back.

Becky, that avi is so cute!

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smile

Posts: 3200 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
I so agree, CM! I can't even imagine being so bored with my life I had to cause drama on internet message boards just for excitement!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post