Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  How do I treat cat's ear injuries?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I treat cat's ear injuries? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted
My cat is 14 years old, spayed female house cat. She seldom goes outside & when she does she don't go out of her own backyard. She is a nervous cat by nature.

She recently got out & when she came back in she had been badly injured. I think the male cat next door attacked her. Poor thing had her ears & side of her face torn. The only available vet in my area can not see her till July 31st. The wounds are weeping & smells badly. I am bathing the wounds & cleaning with soft tissues & peroxide. I have also used a good antibiotic ointment on the damaged ear.

Has anyone had to deal with this type of injury? How did you treat your cat's wounds? I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

Posts: 5231 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miss Lensews2, Please take your cat to an emergency all-hours vet clinic immediately - I can't believe that any reputable vet would put off an appointment until July 31st in this situation. Mad

Perhaps you didn't make the extent of damage clear to the vet's staff when you called? In any event she needs more than topical treatment, she needs antibiotics either by injection or pills - YESTERDAY - infections can kill in less than 7 days.

Seriously, this is one time that immediate vet medications can literally make this difference between your cat living or not. This type of injury simply can't be put off for later treatment ~ please get her help immediately and post back re the results ~ wishing the best for both of you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And, if you have no other vet services in the area where you live (emergency or otherwise), bundle up your cat in a cat carrier/box or whatever and be standing at the vet's door when they open tomarrow am.

I guarantee that they will attend to her once you are there as this type of injury truly is life-threatening and, even with antibiotics, if 72 hrs or more has gone by it will be touch and go based on the injuries you have described.

SHE NEEDS MEDICAL ATTENTION RIGHT NOW and I hope that you are able to find it for her... Ps and Ts going out to both of you.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree--this is an emergency. Kitty needs to see a vet right away.

T's and P's to you and kitty. Please post back.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Just wondering how the injured kitty is?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Update, Dusty is doing fine. While waiting for an opening I treated her by keeping her wound cleaned with peroxide & I applied antibiotic ointment. I babied her with special food & extra liquids. The vet gave her a strong AB shot, cleaned the infected ear more thoroughly & gave us ear drops. Told me to continue cleaning with peroxide. Follow up in 2 weeks. She is doing so much better & has a bigger appetite than ever before. They say cats have 9 lives. This cat has used up two of them. Thank you so much for your caring concern.

Posts: 5231 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Dusty is the one on the right. Grey mix. Pic taken before her misadventure.

Picture of Timetosew
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update on Dusty. I and I'm sure many others have been worrying about your kitty. Please continue to keep us updated and thank you for the picture of your cuties.

Marilyn

Posts: 178 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post