Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  The Long Goodbye
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Long Goodbye Sign In/Join 
Picture of SheltiesMom
posted Hide Post
This thread is so old and the cat seems to be doing ok. I guess we all can start a long goodbye thread since people especially me know my pets do not have as long as your cat seems to have had so far.

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." Ann Landers
"my hairy"kids Smile

Posts: 12390 | Location: Beach Front Property minus the water | Registered: Jan 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lady's mom, It's so hard watching them age and knowing that they can't do what they used to love to do. Cry

Sounds like you have some great ideas ~ under the cedar trees during daytime and, maybe, the barn at night? I agree that being near the sheep would probably make her the happiest and I know that her happiness is your only goal. It's true that our four-legged critters teach us far more than we teach them especially about love and loyalty.

I will be hoping and pr*aying that Ishan has many more days of being with you and her family ~ both the two-legged and four-legged ones! Please post updates as time goes on. So glad you have come back ~ you have been missed! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SheltiesMom:
This thread is so old and the cat seems to be doing ok. I guess we all can start a long goodbye thread since people especially me know my pets do not have as long as your cat seems to have had so far.

Shelties Mom, Thanks for posting and putting things into perspective ~ guess you wish Beets was dead so this thread wasn't so old.

Do you have any idea of how hurtful and vicious your post was or do you care? I doubt it; no one could intentionally be so cruel so I will just have to believe that you didn't realize what you were saying - hard as that is....

But, I think you are hurting and striking out at the easiest target which just happens to be me. It's okay, I understand and, even more than that, I forgive you. I wish you well with your continued health issues and the dogs in your care; this world needs more people like you who care for animals. Hopefully, time will ease all cares or worries ~ I sincerely hope so.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:

...snip...

It's true that our four-legged critters teach us far more than we teach them especially about love and loyalty.

Cool

I love this sentence. ^^^^

I am so glad Beets continues to do as well as she can, IR. I have no doubt that the love and loyalty you have given her all of these years is part of what keeps her going. Your kindness and compassion to animals and people is simply amazing.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheltiesMom
posted Hide Post
being as how I work in a vet clinic and have had over 14 older and sicker shelties come to my rescue...if love was the reason animals survived when they are so sick like IR says Beets was then, animals would live forever. It would also not explain how abused animals do not just die so quickly. This is called followers logic if you believe a very sick animal survives when supposedly so ill

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." Ann Landers
"my hairy"kids Smile

Posts: 12390 | Location: Beach Front Property minus the water | Registered: Jan 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheltiesMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Shelties Mom, Thanks for posting and putting things into perspective ~ guess you wish Beets was dead so this thread wasn't so old.

Do you have any idea of how hurtful and vicious your post was or do you care? I doubt it; no one could intentionally be so cruel so I will just have to believe that you didn't realize what you were saying - hard as that is....

But, I think you are hurting and striking out at the easiest target which just happens to be me. It's okay, I understand and, even more than that, I forgive you. I wish you well with your continued health issues and the dogs in your care; this world needs more people like you who care for animals. Hopefully, time will ease all cares or worries ~ I sincerely hope so.

It shouldn't matter what I think about your cat and I do not care about your cat. Cats, to me are just decoration. No training needed so you can bond with them, only want attention on their terms, I'll pass

"my hairy"kids Smile

Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
SM, Like...I can't EVEN believe you just said those things! You TOTALLY owe IR an apology girl! I realize you have a right to YOUR opinion and can post what you wish.

If you are tired of seeing this topic you really don't have to read it.

You insinuate that cats aren't smart or trainable? And a "decoration"?? What's up with that?

I would NEVER think of posting to a topic of yours and stating that your dogs were only for decoration. That's really rude in my opinion and I wasn't reared to behave that way. I'm sorry if you've lost your beloved friends that couldn't be saved by "love" alone. Most of the time it takes way more than love for an unhealthy animal to continue to exist. But there's nothing wrong with loving them as much as possible until the day does come.

I highly doubt when IR started this topic that she thought Beets would still be here today. There is nothing wrong with giving updates to those of us who ARE interested and DO care.

We aren't trying to get you to be a cat person or understand cats nor would we try. I would feel for the cat!

Again, I politely suggest you don't worry over this topic. Pick one that you have a genuine interest in and you will enjoy it more~

IR, I WANT to have updates...even if you have to do it privately.Wink Oh and IR...sorry to wreck your topic. I couldn't seem to help myself. Maybe it's the hormones again~Smile

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luvtoflip, I totally agree with you. I cannot believe Sheltiesmom would be so mean and cruel to Idaho Resident and yet I can read it with my own eyes, over and over again. Sheltiesmom is the one who has wrecked Idaho Resident's topic, not you. I just cannot find the words to describe the cruelness I've seen from her in this thread.

Idaho Resident, I, too, want updates about Beets. I hope you'll be able to do so in this thread where 99% of it is full of caring people who have walked this journey with you.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
IR I also want updates. I have a very senior cat, and know that the "Long Good Bye" will begin eventually.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1552 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all who posted in support of Beets ~ my cheeks are red, tears are streaming down from my eyes and I am completely heart-sick over the turn this thread has taken.

Shelties Mom, if you wanted to inflict pain - congratulations, you have done so. Not sure what I have ever done to you, but you "win" although it must be a somewhat a sick sort of victory.

To everyone else, I'll post a thread when Beets does pass ~ I'm sure Shelties Mom will be doing a happy dance ~ for myself and others who care about such things, it will be a sad day but I want to thank all of you for the support and encouragement you have given to both of us throughout this time - the long goodbye....

Group Hug

Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
IR, Well, I have NO idea why I assumed that it was Beets' backside that was matted.lol Of course it makes sense that other parts can get matted as well.LOL But for some reason, my mind was stuck on the rear end of the situation. ~snort~ Oops~

Just thought of something...just goes to show that one can easily misunderstand unless it gets cleared up. Thanks for doing that lovie~Wink

Kathy & Charcoal...all I can say is..."You guys are so awesome"!

IR, I'm the one who asked you to bring up some of these topics so I could catch up after being away for so long. I surely never intended for things to get so jacked up! Sorry bout that.

(((hugs)))

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yve*
posted Hide Post
IR, I'm so sorry that you are going through all this with Beets. I know what you're going through. When Patches got sick, it was approximately a yr that we were going through similar circumstances and then we had to make "the decision" and it was one of the most difficult times in my life. (((hugs)))

I know its been a while...a long while.

I have been lurking around for a couple of wks after being away for some time and I look at this thread and the other, I honestly can't believe what I see.

When I first stumbled on this board, I posted about my dear cat that had passed away five yrs prior and IR was one of the first (among others) to show compassion and understanding over what I was still feeling yrs later.
I can honestly say that I have never seen anything to contradict the compassionate and caring person that IR has demonstrated to be. What I do see is a person(s) who are probably miserable in their own lives needing to make others feel the same. I understand that when people aren't feeling well they can be "cranky", and I can sympathize with your health issues and I wish you much health and well being. Unfortunately, what was said was cruel.
Don't you realize that what you put out into the universe comes right back to you?
Why kick a person when they are down?
Would you like it if someone would say that about a person who is ill???

I'm sorry, but that was totally uncalled for. The apathy you show is a bit unsettling for someone who works in a vet clinic.

IR, please accept a big hug and know that some of us care and hoping for the best possible outcome in this situation. I know its difficult, try to be strong and enjoy your time with Beetsy. Keep us posted.

~The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Mahatma Gandhi~

Posts: 1016 | Location: New York | Registered: Jul 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
DITTO what Yve said and IR, you know I ALWAYS want to be kept updated on your very sweet Beets!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all who posted ~ I am still trying to understand the mind-set of someone so cruel as to insinuate that this thread was too old or the life of the animal involved was taking too long to die ~ what a hurtful, terrible thing to say .....

This thread was about a cat who has chronic renal failure ~ and, yes, it takes time for it to develop so I had hoped many of you would be able to give some suggestions and some have done so while others have been cruel so here are mine:

First, when it begins, start with the food. Dry food, canned food and water - lots and lots of water.

Which will cause the litter box to become bad in a hurry so scoop, scoop and scoop some more and keep adding more litter ~ Big Grin

Next, as time goes on, the KRM - it's been a wonderful resource as we count down the days.

And, lastly, a spoonful of canned catfood some 9-12 times a day ~ she seems to be able to handle that well; change out the water twice a day and give her some hugs even though she is matted....

I send blessing to all of you who have cats who may be facing this situation now or in the near future and my thoughts and pray*ers to all. I realize that I have become someone to avoid based on some very negative posts against me, I just want to say that I truly care about you and the four-legged members of your family.

Please keep posting to this Pet Board ~ I am just so sorry that it has come down to this where I have decided not to post anymore. Thanks to all and good luck with your 4-legged furry critters ~ they are NOT a decoration, have minds of their own and will bring great joy into your world if you welcome them in...

Group Hug

posted Hide Post
IR, look, we NEED you here on the boards. We need your compassion, your insight, your wisdom. PLEASE stay here on the boards with us. Please, IR, I am begging you. Do NOT let the cruelness of one or two individuals ruin this for the rest of us. WE NEED YOU HERE.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Charcoalmom, But there comes a time in everyone's life when it is time to move on ~ Shelties Mom, Sandra S, Spanish Revival and Acyhuahua have made that very clear ~ all have posted very pointed messages that they despise me and wish me gone....

I don't normally give in or give up but I am tired of these types of messages - childish or not - I am simply tired of defending myself against ridiculous accusations.

None of them are based in reality but it does hurt after a while ~ maybe everyone who is active on the boards should step up and stop this type of bullying when it is happening ~ I don't know ~ just know that I am done, stick the fork in me ~ I'm done.

Yes, that's right, Spanish Revival, Aychihuahua, Shelties Mom, Sandra S, you win; I admit defeat ~ the boards are all yours ~ take good care of them.....

Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
IR, I totally agree with CM, we need you on these boards. You have offered so much to so many and have been so helpful! The childishness and cruelty that's gone on here, and yes, it was CRUEL is ridiculous and uncalled for. I can't believe adults can act so chldish and immature. I usually stay out of and avoid online drama, but this makes me MAD, that these people are driving away a very valuable member (YOU) from these boards. And for so called "animal lovers" to wish a pet DEAD??? HOW??? How can you be an animal lover and wish an animal dead? YOU CAN'T! IR, I so appreciate all the advice and kind words you've ever given me and I know there are LOTS of other people that feel the same!

posted Hide Post
IR, there is no excuse for their cruel words toward you. No one in their right mind would have said the things to you that they said. I have heard of online bullying but never witnessed it myself until now. To come out of the blue as they did, verbally attacking and abusing you with absolute lies and ill-wishes, is unforgiveable. They need to have their user privileges revoked.

I just took a quick look and here's a reasonably recent thread started by one of them. You posted in this thread. As is usual, you offered kindness, support, empathy, and appreciation. This is what makes their abusive allegations all the more ridulous. They are the only ones who are bullying, not you. Here is the thread:

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...9109661/m/2483955567

There's that Hide Post link by every post in every thread on the boards. Maybe it's there for this exact reason--to hide inappropriate posts so that the original conversation can continue. Yeah, click on that for a few of these posts.

IR, I hope in time you will change your mind and come back. You mean so, so much to so many of us. Really and truly, I say that with all my heart and soul.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Wow! I checked in to see how Beets is doing and found this! I was so angry at what this old witch with a b posted that I just had to fire up my sad old desktop and throw in.

Tried to sign in on my ipad and apparently HGTV has changed things and looks like I'll have to create a new ID when I sign in on it.

This doesn't suprise me at all. She has been this hateful and spiteful to me since day 1 and I don't know why other than I am a cat person. She stalked me and reported my posts for no reason. When we had the pet phots threads, each time I would post a pic, she would saturate the the thread with pics of her dogs. She even went so far as to stalk me to another message board and attack my very first post there and all it got her was kicked off! She pretty much had the attitude she owned the pets board here. People will come and ask why everyone stopped posting here, well folks, SHE is the reason why a good many left!!!!

I guess now she isn't worried about mods stopping her so she isn't worried about keeping her true colors hidden!

IR resident, just ignore her. No one likes her. The few who still did, after seeing this thread no longer will. So maybe she'll park her broom and slink back under her rock.

We all know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet and all of us animal lovers care about Beets and what you are going through, or we wouldn't be here on this thread.

Luv To Flip- it sure is good to see you back again!

Posts: 3259 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
quote:

Quoting this in case she decides to report one of us and delete her original hateful remarks. Guess y'all can tell that since I'll probably be having to get a new idea I'm not real worried about her reporting me. She'll be setting herself up for the same if she does!

Posts: 3259 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It shouldn't matter what I think about your cat and I do not care about your cat. Cats, to me are just decoration. No training needed so you can bond with them, only want attention on their terms, I'll pass

Becky, nice to see you again. :-)

I'm quoting this post. It's got two of the personal attacks and verbal abuse statements within it. Still so unbelievably cruel.

I just wonder if SheltiesMom would go up to a cat owner in the vet clinic she works in, a cat owner who brought in her dying cat, and say the same thing to her face that she said to Idaho Resident. Wonder what her employer and coworkers would think if he/she/them read these statements by SM.

There are other cruel remarks in a couple of other recent threads, too.

IR, if and when you ever read this, please come back to the boards.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I wondered the same thing!

posted Hide Post
Charcoalsmom well said. Having loss many furkids, dogs and cats. I know that terrible ache in our heart

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been giving very serious thought to my decision not to post anymore. As I look through the four various threads where SheltiesMom and SandraS have posted very pointed personal attacks against me over the last week or so, I haven't seen anyone seconding their opinion that I am the "most despised poster here on these boards, that I am arrogant or a bully or have caused people to leave the Pet Board in droves or am responsible for the lack of postings."

Quite the opposite, actually. Thank you, in no particular order, Charcoalsmom, GypsyDancer52, luvtoflip, Yve, 40 paint chips, Lady's mom, irish kid, Kathy in_wlsv, greysgolden and Becky56 as well as all of the posters who sent PMs....

So, yes, I am going to continue to post; I love this message board ~ all of the posts, stories and photographs. What a gift to be able to share our thoughts with others who love animals as we do, offer suggestions or, simply, be there for one another when one of us needs support.

Nope, I'm not going anywhere....

Group Hug

PS. And to those of you who despise me? No problem, just put me on "Ignore" ~ I wish you and your furry family members well all the same.

posted Hide Post
IR!!!!! So GLAD you are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I read your other thread about the emoticans so let me see if I can get this to work:

Group Hug

posted Hide Post
Hoot! Well, I am just THRILLED to see you back! Wave

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I second that!

posted Hide Post
Welcome IR, I am right with you and the others you mentioned in your post.

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Well heck, I've tried to send PM's to a couple people, but for some reason it won't work for me. is there some trick to it? a secret handshake? at any rate, glad you're NOT going IR.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1552 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathy, I'll try to send you a PM.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kathy. I'm glad as well since I would have really missed some the good people I have met here on this board as well as hearing about their furry/hairy family members!

It took me a while to learn how to use the Private Messaging System (PM) as well but no secret handshake needed ~ Big Grin ~ this is a public message board where all should feel welcome!

Easiest way I know to describe sending a PM is to go to a post of the person - put your cursor over their user name at the left of the post and click - that will bring up some choices. Choose "view public profile" and that will bring up 2 choices - "send new PM" or "view recent posts." Click "send new PM" and type your message in the box (best if you also label it so the person has an idea why you are sending it) and then click "send."

Should work ~ if you want to experiment, feel free to use my user name and send me a PM. I'll let you know if it comes through.... Cool

PS. It is possible that a user has chosen NOT to allow PMs on their account which "may" have the caused the problem you have had but most haven't do so. In any event, I have no restrictions on my account so free to experiment using it! Smile

Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
IR, I also am SO GLAD you have decided to stay here with us! You would be SO missed on here! It just wouldn't be the same without you here, so I'm over here clapping BIG TIME! :clapping:

posted Hide Post
Well, I have thought long and hard about posting back on this thread given some of the turns this thread took last April but those posting were made by only a few that turned this thread in a negative. However, it seems that most of them have been deleted and I would like to keep the promise I made to post when the end arrived after a nearly year-long battle with a CRF cat ....

Beets went to the Rainbow Bridge one day before her 20th birthday ~ I was so hoping that she would still be here and we could celebrate it together. But, it wasn't to be and I held her on my lap, petting her and telling her that it was okay to go until her very last breath.

It was peaceful and natural (although I certainly would have agreed to assistance from a vet - it just wasn't necessary) - so end of the story.

I find joy in thinking that Beets and the other vegetables (Pickles, Beans and Sauergraut) were partying together for their 20th birthday at the bridge Friday! Thanks everyone for following our journey ~ it can take a long time and result in "a long goodbye." All of you made it much easier as I hope it will be for any of you who find yourselves in a similiar situation and, maybe, something posted here on this thread will help you in the future should you ever find yourself there ~ know others do care.

Group Hug