Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Need help with "itchy" dogs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with "itchy" dogs Sign In/Join 
posted
Help, please! Our 2 dogs are itching like crazy. The older one had mange as a pup when he was dumped at our home. It finally cleared up $200 later. Could it have reoccurred? Vet says no, but sure looks just like it. We've heard about lots of "grass infection" this year. It started with itchy ears and now belly and legs involved on both. Nothing seems to be helping -- even vet approved benadryl doesn't help much or for long. Super dry skin on elbows and no hair there now. Any and all help is appreciated!

Posts: 80 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Oct 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many reasons for dry skin from disease to bugs to allergies to simple dry skin. And more. Are you in an area with biting bugs like chiggers or mosquitoes?

How old are your dogs? Has this happened before?

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If this is a sudden and recent issue, make sure you have not changed detergent or used softener while washing their bedding too. Contact allergies are not uncommon with pets, as well as people.

Check their food source? Corn or wheat as cheap fillers, or even artificial coloring in dog food can also erupt as skin issues in some pets.

Often not a simple answer. Sometimes it can be a combination of issues, causing the tipping point of a reaction. Spring grasses and wild sage can also be a common allergen.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
When we got our dog she had dry itche skin. we give her benadryl every day and a bowl of Oatmeal with a raw egg and milk in it every day. She still has a small itche spot on her rump and we rub bag buam on it. It seems to help her, now how do we stop her from tearing the siding off of our house?

Handie Ann

Posts: 3430 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fabriks:
Help, please! Our 2 dogs are itching like crazy. The older one had mange as a pup when he was dumped at our home. It finally cleared up $200 later. Could it have reoccurred? Vet says no, but sure looks just like it. We've heard about lots of "grass infection" this year. It started with itchy ears and now belly and legs involved on both. Nothing seems to be helping -- even vet approved benadryl doesn't help much or for long. Super dry skin on elbows and no hair there now. Any and all help is appreciated!

Have you tried sulfadene? It use to help mine; however, it's been a long time since I had a dog with the mange but I do remember the vet bill. It can reoccur especially the red mange. I'm surprised the vet said it couldn't. Hopefully it isn't the mange. Might need to check them for mites.

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't say what kind they are. Ask your vet if a dose of ivomec would be appropriate (if they are not collies).

Also, do you use a lawn care service? Could be chemicals

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last dog was a red Dobie. She had demodetic (sp?) mange... generally the direct result of poor breeding practices... but that's another story. Every spring/summer for as long as she was alive, she'd get very itchy... would scratch/chew patches raw. A spot would just start to look better, and she'd be at it again.

When I took her to vet, asked her if could be a simple allergy... say to GRASS!?! Once weather warmed up, dog would just lay out in the yard for hours. Once weather started acting like fall, she didn't stay out all that long... and itching WENT AWAY!?!

Vet wasn't crazy about putting dogs of something like prednisone if not really necessary, so she proposed an "experiment". Said give her adult dose of OTC Benadryl once or twice day... 2 pills in blob of peanut butter. It started working within a day or so... beginning of warm weather meant buying a BIG bottle of generic "B".

Posts: 5575 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I knew I could count on the "HG" crew. Our 8 year old lab is getting the worst of deal. The 2 year old hound just didn't handle the steroids well that we tried. And it didn't help either. They are both indoor dogs, with nothing new chemical wise or food wise. We do live in the country with chiggers, mosquitoes and ticks. But none have been a real problem this year so far. They aren't outside much -- only to do their business and when we have to be gone and they can't come along. I will add the oatmeal and egg to their daily diet. They will love that. I did give them oatmeal a couple of times this winter to warm them up. I've added the generic benadryl several times per day with limited success. And fish oil capsules daily. We'll upgrade their dry supplement food. I've been giving them canned dogfood + dry. I have had good luck giving them their pills with a ketchup drizzled half slice of bread. I'm thinking that if they aren't lots better by week's end we'll be headed to different vets office. We'll keep trying. Just don't like them to be miserable because they are such good dogs and great company. Just don't like for my boys to be sick! Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted if/when we find out exactly what's going on. Maybe it will help someone else avoid this down the road. Again thanks for all the help and support.

Posts: 80 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Oct 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of food are you feeding them? Try switching to a limited ingredient food with no grain. That cleared up my two dogs problems.

Posts: 3 | Location: Staten Island | Registered: Jun 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, not much new to report. Had unexpected hospital sitting this week so the boys took a back seat. Older dog is losing quite a bit of hair. We'll get him to the vet for sure this week. I hadn't thought about a dog food with no grain. Is this sometimes an issue? The dry dog food on hand is almost gone, so we'll upgrade this week on that too. I'll be so glad when this is resolved!! Fortunately, it hasn't affected their great personalities! Love my boys! They aren't crazy about me tonight...bath time with medicated dog shampoo. Maybe they'll be better and itching less tonight and tomorrow because of it. We can hope. I'll keep posting with any changes/progress. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
it can be frustrating trying to find out what is bothering your dog ...alergies tend to be the most common issue try checking your dog food for chicken its a very common alergie www.somepets.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post