Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Male Betta Fish??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Male Betta Fish?? Sign In/Join 
posted
I searched internet articles on betta care. Sheesh, I learned some things but not how often to feed them. Good grief. One article said to feed them 3 times a week. Another by a well known store said to feed them twice a day. I feed mine once a day. One article said to clean their bowl once a week. Okay, I do that. I was also educated to put them in a 1 and 1/2 gallon to 5 gallon container. I am below that standard. When I find the right bowl I'll buy it. I want a tall one that doesn't look like a fish bowl--something sophisticated. Oh well so much for this fishy subject.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mine in a vase with a bare root plant, Fed him once a day and cleaned the vase when it needed it. If you don't over feed, it won't need it often. Mine lived several years.

Posts: 2318 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Ditto to the above. When I moved I gave him to a coworker' s grandchildren and the fish lived several more years. Care is pretty basic and they are easy wonderful pets.

Posts: 3479 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you sis2 and junk collector. Maybe I'll check out buying a bare root plant too.

posted Hide Post
Just cut a piece off something that will root in water and stick it in there.

Posts: 2318 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a large flower vase-6-7" tall. Make sure the neck is narrower than the bottom. Took a plastic cup,and cut out most of the bottom of it and rested it in top of vase. I bought a small peace lily, washed it until it was totally free of all the dirt, forced it in and let the roots hang in the water. The plant grew on top, the Beta liked to swim thru roots and occasionally nibble on them. Fed fish maybe once or twice a week at most. Also has some colored marbles at bottom of vase. This sat in my kitchen for years.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sis2 and mamaspoon,

Those are clever ideas. Thanks for sharing. Did you all change the water once a week.

posted Hide Post
Goodness no. Didn't change it till it got dirty. Betas don't poop as much as goldfish so more like once a month. Don't put them the sun. Be sure to add that stuff that takes the chlorine out of the water and let it come to room temp before you put the fish back in. Did you know that if you hold a mirror up to the vase he'll puff up when he sees it. They'll actually fight another male. That's why you only have one. He'll get to recognize you. I think I just talked myself into another one.

posted Hide Post
Hi Thanks Sis2,

I do know about the competitiveness of male bettas. I have a smaller container for him than ones that I used years ago with a different Betta. Its just over a quart or two so I'm concerned about keeping it clean. When I get time I plan to get a bigger container. This one is angular and the fish has to swim vertically more than horizontally. I'm a bit spooked because a Betta that I bought two or three months ago died. Perhaps he was old when I bought him. Also the vase was made in Hungary or Romania. I hope that there isn't lead in it which is poisoning the fish. This guy is healthy so far. I think I will also go get some bloodworms to feed to him once a week. Right now he gets the floating pellets and the anti chlorine treatment in his water when I change it. It seems that his fins are looking a bit more raggedy. Maybe its the bowl the food or swimming vertically too much. It could be nothing. Thanks again

posted Hide Post
Update==
I've been feeding the little guy freeze dried blood worms. He loves them and I think that he looks more colorful. He hated the pellets that I was encouraged to buy for the first fish who died. This latest tiny fighter would race up to get the pellets. Then he would chew, chew some more, and spit them out. Now he doesn't chew long at all before spitting the whole pellet out. I think that blood worms are the cat's meow but I don't speak Betta. Hmmmm

posted Hide Post
I didn't use pellet food something I got where I got him but it's been ten years so I don't remember what it looked like. Half gallon would be enough.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sis2,

posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a betta that lived a long time on a diet of blood worms. Back then the fish store experts said that bettas love them. Now the clerks in the big chain stores say that the blood worms are fatty. I guess they are compared to sawdust or out of date--dust bunnies. Who Knows? Thanks for the comments.