Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Suggestions for helping a cat adjust to new home UPDATE with Pictures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for helping a cat adjust to new home UPDATE with Pictures Sign In/Join 
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted
I knew this day would come when DD moves away and takes Thai with her. I've never had to relocate with my animals so I'm not sure of how stressful this is going to be for Thai. She and I want the best for him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Hey Geoargia Peach~ Well, we actually had to do this with our Miss Kitty when we moved to our current home.

We left her at the other house as long as possible and brought her in last. Below are a few suggestions that seemed to work well for us.....

Confinement to one space at a time to allow her to get used to new smells/etc. For us, that meant closing off all doors to rooms that she really didn't need to be in.

Find litterbox over and over if it has to be moved to a space where Thai would have to get used to it.

Same with food and water.

For us, we hoped that our choices for those things would be sufficient for Miss K...and that she would approve.Wink

Lots of old familiar smells like fabrics, toys, etc lying around.

Having or creating window look-outs for Thai (assuming Thai is indoor cat??)

Eventually allowing access into the closed off areas for Thai to "adventure" at his discretion.Wink If he seems tentative or shy about going into the new space, you might mention to DD to go with him and sit where Thai can see her to make him feel more comfortable.

And finally, continue with lots of love.

Hope the suggestions help a little. Somebody else may think of something I didn't think about.

So...what are we gonna do about your living situation? Smile Maybe YOU need a new furchild??
Joking with ya Peachy. But it might not be a horrible idea. Afterall, I'm afraid you might miss Thai as much as Thai will miss you!

Hugs~

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
Another thing to do is if she will be living alone and leaving Thai while she goes to work, leave the radio or TV on. It really does comfort them to have human voices especially when they are used to being around a human almost all day.

Plus Thai is still pretty young so he might not have any issues adapting.

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the suggestions. LoveToFlip, we are taking this slowly. DD will move and settle in to her new place before we move Thai. Not sure which of the 3 of us it will be more of an adjustment for. DD wants him to be with her but understands moving him to a small apartment may not be in his best interest. I will keep you posted. Also, if we move him it will be a 3 hour ride for him. He doesn't like to make the 10 mile trip to the vet. Another concern.

ETA....DebicGa, he turns 2 today Smile

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, THAI !!!! From me, HAYSTACK! Wave

I told Haystack that all caps meant she was shouting and she said, of course I was, I wanted him to HEAR me all the way from Idaho. It's a long way, Mom ~ duh!

Well, Georgia Peach, didn't realize that this was a possibility but relocation doesn't need to be difficult as long as everyone understands that cats DON'T like change and this will be a big one for Thai ~ glad you are going to take it slow....

I did "up-root" our five cats 9 years ago (and made them "indoor-only" in the process) from a farm where all of them had the free run of twenty acres since birth ~ ages 14, 11 (three of them) and 9 at the time ~ to a completely different environment and all settled in within a few days to a new life style and have never looked back.

But, the difference was that they still had their "people" and each other. Thai is still quite young and will probably be okay but, I have to ask, are he and your DD really bonded? Is she the major "person" in his life as he sees it?

If so, things will be fine. I only ask because if this is the first time your DD is going out on her own, I imagine she has a new job or studies which will occupy most of her time. On the other hand, Thai is a cat who won't understand those new priorities ~ not to mention his new living situation.

It simply depends on who Thai considers to be "his" person. If it is your DD, then it will be fine. But, if not, I think it might be a good idea to have a serious talk with her about the benefits of letting Thai stay with you while she explores her new world. Just an idea. Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Ohyes! Couldn't agree more with having a TV on or radio (his fav station of course Wink). Totally forgot about that "IF" sDD needs to be away for very long.

I guess the other alternative would be to take him to Nana's house if she needs to be gone over an extended period of time.

Also agree with Idaho Resident. Cats DO choose people. Plus, if Thai is very used to YOU being around him and/or feeding/treating/etc...then it might be more beneficial for Thai to stay with whomever he tends to "claim".

Ugg...3 hours, huh? I was thinking much shorter distance! However, sounds like you guys have already considered allowing his to stay where he feels comfy..at least for now. DD def needs to get settled in first. Not sure how true this is but I can swear that our two can tell when one or the other is stressed! I think they feel it somehow (I've heard dogs do this as well).

Not sure how you feel about this...but since the trip will be 3 hours, I might just ask the vet what he/she thinks about a little kitty relaxer for Thai for the trip??

Wishing all of you the best~

Smile

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thai is definitely bonded to DD AND to me. Actually it just depends on what he wants who he asks first Smile Treats? DD ... extra treats? MeMa Smile We are still in the thinking stages of what to do about Thai. DD really would like for him to live with her. If she's at home he is right beside her wherever she is . He is her constant companion. I've always known she would take him with her when she moved away but I definitely want him to be happy. My main concern is his being alone during her long work hours. I knew I could ask this board and get some honest and open minded opinions. I'll keep you posted.

Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
Another option might be for her to get Thai a companion. In my somewhat limited experience I have found that cats that spend a good bit of time alone can become somewhat psycho...not mean but sometimes really skittish and just plain weird. I have done this and several of my friends have had single kitties and all of them were a bit weird. I think like humans most animals do like companionship or we tend to veer off the accepted "normal" path. Of course another kitty isn't always possible nor welcome by the original one but it might be something to consider.

*Debi*

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by debicga:
Another option might be for her to get Thai a companion. In my somewhat limited experience I have found that cats that spend a good bit of time alone can become somewhat psycho...not mean but sometimes really skittish and just plain weird. I have done this and several of my friends have had single kitties and all of them were a bit weird. I think like humans most animals do like companionship or we tend to veer off the accepted "normal" path. Of course another kitty isn't always possible nor welcome by the original one but it might be something to consider.

Debicga, this was DD's first idea when we started discussing whether or not Thai should go with her. It hasn't been ruled out.

I do have an update and that is Thai is probably going to remain here with me for awhile. Most rental places either don't allow pets are will charge more for renters to have pets.

Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
quote:
will charge more for renters to have pets

I have seen this here in the Atlanta area as well and I just don't understand charging more rent for having a pet...especially since the rent wouldn't go up if there were 2 people renting. I get a higher or extra pet deposit but more rent makes no sense.

*Debi*

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Debicga, this is in the Atlanta area. There is a pet deposit plus an additional monthly charge for pets. I don't understand it either but it is what it is Smile

posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach, For once in my life, I am glad for anti-pet landlords ~ I know that sounds terrible BUT I also know that both you and DD love Thai and only want what is best for him. Well, if you take the emotions out of the equation, staying put at the only home is best for him ~ at least right now....

I know what I am talking about - Mom and I rescued "Cat" when I was in the fifth grade - my first "bottle-fed" kitten. Cat and I were inseparable for the next nine years until I graduated from high school, went on to college and further education. As much as it hurt me, I left Cat behind with my Mom during those years even though I found apartments that would allow me to keep her. She was better off at the only home she had ever known....

It just wouldn't have been fair to her to up-root her as I was establishing my life and who, what and where I would be ~ no matter how much I would have loved to have her with me during that time.

The story ends with a happy ending - I did "my thing" ~ grew up, got an education, married and settled into a career and Cat was very happy staying back at the only place she had only known as home. And, then, as things happen, my parents grew older and I was able to have Cat back in my life once again when they decided to sell the family home.

Cat passed away peacefully, at our home, when she was nineteen ~ she had been with me from grade school, junior high, high school, college and graduate school; marriage and myself growing older. What a dedication of love - I will never forget her BUT I have always been thankful that I put her first and decided to leave her where she was most comfortable instead of taking her with me on my voyage to adulthood....

Group Hug

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Similar story here Idaho. I was given my first Siamese kitten the day Neil Armstrong walked on the moon! A long time ago. I wanted to take him with me when I moved to my first apartment after college but my mother just said NO! Thinking back there was no discussion whatsoever....LOL!! There was no way he would have been happy being in a 1 bedroom apartment after living for years in a sprawling Colonial. He lived his 21 years in the same home.

Although our home now isn't quite the house I grew up in it is still a large ranch home with plenty of windows and there isn't one that Thai hasn't perched in Smile DD and I both know it would be too much of a change right now for him to live with her in a small apartment. So for now, Thai stays! I'll keep you posted.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Updating you on this thread. Not that we wanted to but out of necessity we had to let Thai go with DD for about 2 weeks. He has adjusted well so far. We have tried to make him feel at home away from home by taking toys, cat climbers, etc. with him. He's eating, drinking, seems content. Could we be missing anything that might throw up a red flag with his move?

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Checking out the tub just like at home!

He just knows there is something down there ....

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
GP, I'm glad to see he is adjusting. I figured he would. I moved my two cats twice and they were fine after a few days.

The first time they would go back to the old house, which was three blocks away, and I would have to go get them after the neighbors called to say they were back Smile and the next move to our current home, they were a dickens to catch during the move and they didn't come out from under the bed for two days.

How was the car ride for Thai? I can't stand the five minute drive to the vet with all the howling, let alone three hours!

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Cute story about your kitties. I've had cats to hide too but Thai Bo isn't a hider. He wants his presence known....LOL. Regarding the travelling he was fine. The vet gave us a mild sedative and we gave just a quarter of the tablet and DD said Thai was relaxed the entire trip. He has adjusted well and will be visiting with her for another week before returning home. She has kept him entertained with all kinds of new toys. She says he thinks he is on vacation which he sort of is. We realize though that his real home is with me. Her place is just entirely too small. And from one HD rider to another, we are visiting Laconia, NH and the New England states. It is so pretty up here !!

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Are you there now??? I'm going to Laconia on Saturday.

Wanda

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
We left to head back home this morning. It takes us about 3 days to get back to South Georgia. Laconia and the surrounding areas are beautiful places. Mt. Washington was awesome!

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's too bad. I was hoping to run into you at bike weekend.

Wanda

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Wwanda, I would have enjoyed meeting you! Do you live in the NH area? I thought of Lady of Shallot when DH and I rode to Cape Elizabeth. I'm pretty sure she lives nearby.

Picture of Timetosew
posted Hide Post
Princess thinks Thai is looking for ping pong balls in the bathtub. She doesn't believe any tub should have fewer than 3 balls to play with in the middle of the night. When she's really having fun, they end up all over the house!

Marilyn

Posts: 178 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timetosew:
Princess thinks Thai is looking for ping pong balls in the bathtub. She doesn't believe any tub should have fewer than 3 balls to play with in the middle of the night. When she's really having fun, they end up all over the house!

Marilyn

Cats are TOO funny! Ping Pong balls in the bathtub? That's got to be noisy Smile

Picture of Hellen K
posted Hide Post
You could take along something familiar, for example, the cat's old bed. Try to put its bed in the same place as it was in your first home: if your cat slept in the bedroom, then put his bed in the new bedroom too.

Put his litter box in the same place as it was in the old home. Your cat may be a little confused at first, but if it can find his litter box, bed and food dishes, he'll adjust faster.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jun 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hellen K. I need to clarify that Thai has made it back home now after a 3 week vacation with my DD. He is right back to his old self and his old antics Smile I must say I missed the rascal....it was TOO quiet without him. DD says she misses him now that he's not with her at her apartment but knows he is better off with me.

Thanks everyone.

posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach, So glad that Thai enjoyed his "vacation" with your dd (now you know it will work out next time you and your dh want to take off for a little R&R) but have to say I'm glad that Thai is back home again with you ~ as is Haystack...

She loved seeing the photgraphs of Thai in your dd's new apartment and totally agrees with establishing control over one's surroundings wherever one ends up (Haystack has been lobbying for a vacation for herself - not happening) but she did love one idea posted here.

PING PONG BALLS for the very deep jacuzzi tub in the MB ~ she just knows that she will be "the very best pinger/ponger (whatever) in the sport" if only she had some ~ see what you started, Timetosew? Cool

PS. Added to shopping list ~ one dozen ping pong balls and ear plugs for the rest of us! Smile