Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  SO Bummed :(
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SO Bummed :( Sign In/Join 
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted
We just found out our chocolate lab, Sugar is diabetic and may have some kidney problems. They are hospitalizing her overnight to give her IV's to make sure she isn't dehydrated. Does or has anyone here have/had a diabetic dog? If so, were there lots of problems?

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awww, Gypsy Dancer, so sad to hear this about Sugar. Frown

I don't have any experience with diabetes in a dog but, hopefully, some others who have had that experience will come along with some suggestions....

In the meantime, I'm glad you have a vet you trust and hope that Sugar's condition will stabilize soon as you learn how to deal with her situation. Sending good thoughts your way. Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much IR. I'm worried about the diabetes of course, but way more worried about the kidney problems. Seems the diabetes can be pretty easily managed.....the kidney problems not so much. I can't even say how worried I am and how badly I'm stressing over this.

Picture of Yve*
posted Hide Post
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. Just take it easy and see what stage Sugar is at with the kidney problems. Hopefully it isn't too alarming. (((hugs)))

~The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Mahatma Gandhi~

Posts: 1016 | Location: New York | Registered: Jul 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Thank you Yve. We pick our Sugarbear up tomorrow and will talk to the vet at length at that time. I SO hope and pray that her kidneys will be ok!

posted Hide Post
Aww, Gypsy, I have no experience with this either, just diabetic cats. Wishing you and your doggie the best.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much, Charcoalsmom, I appreciate your well wishes!

posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about Sugar, prayers and hugs to you.

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Thank you greysgolden, that means a lot.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with diabetic cats. The best advice I can give you is to educate yourself about canine diabetes, home test(extremely important no matter what the vet tells you), and make sure you have a vet who is supportive of you being proactive and home testing. Sugar's life depends on it.

Posts: 3199 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Becky, home urine tests, blood glucose tests or both? She's had her first two insulin injections here at home and seems to be doing well so far. She goes back to the vet next week for a (something) curve, can't remember the exact name but has to do with seeing if she needs any adjustments to her insulin, so will talk to the vet about home testing at that time. Thank you for letting me know about that.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Home testing at home is done with a human meter on a drop of blood. The results are so much more reliable as the stress of being at the vet can cause higher readings,in cats they can be as much as 100 points higher.

With my diabetic cat, I found a forum that was so much help. I did her testing curve at home and by the second day she was off insulin and has been diet controlled ever since. It will soon be 2 years. It is common for cats to do this, but I don't know about dogs.

Also,learn about foods. I found that R X foods were higher in carbs than a good quality canned food. Mine now eats Friskies Pâtés and Fancy Feast Classics. There should be some food charts on the net for dog foods too.

Many vets although well meaning are not up to date on these things about pet diabetes. Mine wasn't but is very supportive. But I hear some are not.

I hope Sugar does does well, and you too. Smile

Posts: 3199 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Becky for the help and the information. I've been reading as much as possible online about diabetic dogs and caring for them since yesterday. It seems where as humans and cats can sometimes come off insulin, once dogs are put on it, it's pretty much for life. I would like to check her blood glucose here at home though and I'm diabetic so already have a human meter. Again, thank you so much for the help and will talk to the vet about all of this next week. I'm so glad you were able to get your kitty off the insulin, that's awesome! Smile

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well wishes! I think I too, have heard that about dogs. One thing that helped me learn to home test was watching a video on YouTube. You might want to see if there is one for dogs there. I sure you'll come across this, but make sure the insulin that you use is the best one recommended for dogs. My cat was on the worst insulin you can give a cat because the vet didn't know any better.

Please keep us updated on how you and Sugar are doing!