Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Freckles Journey
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freckles Journey Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
The last I posted about Freckles and his broken leg he was in recovery. About a month ago we noticed he was limping more and losing weight. We took him to his vet in Charleston and all was well with his leg, but she found through tests he has lymphoma of his intestines. Frown

He started chemo over a week ago and now he is having problems. DH took him to the vet in Charleston this morning to be put on an IV with antibiotics and other meds to treat an infection.

Keep good thoughts for our fur baby.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers and hugs to Freckles and your family. We went thru this dreaded disease with my daughters golden retriever, Cloe, in March. So very sorry to hear this.

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, Charming, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I remember when Freckles fractured his leg and was so glad that he recovered. Sending good thoughts to both Freckles and you for the best possible outcome. Keep us updated....

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks IR.

Final update. Freckles is at peace. The vet was able to stabilize him. They got his fever down and his white blood cell count under control. He even ate a little.

When he came home Saturday he would not eat and was in great discomfort. Greyhounds and Freckles in particular have rather sensitive digestive systems and it doesn't take much to throw them out of whack. The anti-nausea meds were not working and we were hating to think how much worse the next phase of the treatment would be for him.

We spoke with our greyhound friends and we were in agreement that Freckles was ready.

We took him back to Charleston yesterday morning and said our good byes. Freckles was always our special needs boy, but he had the biggest heart of any of our greys.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose one of our babes!

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry. Each one is unique, and so is the pain of losing them.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry for your loss. Freckles, I am sure is at the Rainbow Bridge, probably with a group of greys. Charming I did not know you too adopted greys. We have for over 20 years now. Just remember the very good life you gave him and he too.
prayers for you and your family deb

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming, I can't begin to say how sorry I am that Freckles is gone; I know that it has left a huge hole in your heart and your life where he used to be ~ but, if you look fast enough, he is still there with you ~ just in a different way. You did what was right for him and, for that, he will always be a part of you....

Group Hug

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
oooh so sorry Charming. I've read many post about your special freckles. May your heart heal soon...

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Freckles and I had many adventures in the 6 years we had with him.

I recall when the rescue group brought him, uninvited, to the house to meet me. We had just lost Bandit and I was not ready for another dog. But Freckles was not in a good foster home and needed more space. Trust me, he needed lots of space! First problem - our stairs. Most greys are pretty fast learners, not my special needs boy. Nope. I almost carried him up the stairs to enter the house for the first month or so (we live in a raised beach cottage). I was in tears, I thought he was never going to get the hang of it.

Once we progressed beyond the stairs he slipped once running off the patio and I thought we would never get him back in the grass.

Freckles had what is called "happy tail" He would start wagging it and it was like a boney whip! It really hurt. And he was always wagging it. One day DH caught the tip of his tail in the front door and cut it. I came home from a trip and the house was covered in dog blood. It took 6 months to heal because he kept knocking it open. The vet couldn't do much we would have had to take about 5" off to amputate the injured part. I found one of the hair rollers recently I ended up using to protect the bandage.

The frame around the front door is ruined - because he would leap and jump at the door anytime someone would come up to it.

One thing a few months after we took him in I noticed how red his belly and back legs were. He was also licking the area all the time. I took him in and they tested for allergies. OMG! He was allergic to more things than he could eat. He was sensitive to rice so most of the specialty dog foods were off limits. Sometimes he decided his food was not wet enough and he would take his nose and splash water into his food bowl.

You all know about the adventure with his leg, the past year was pretty rough for him, but he never snapped or showed temper. He was the sweetest natured dogs we have had. He would go out doors to potty, but no worry of him staying out too long - he wanted to be around his people.

posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear about Freckles. I know you'll always miss him. My thoughts and pra*ers are with you.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Chadbourn, NC USA | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aww, Charming, I am just reading this now. So very sorry about your puppy. {{{{hugs}}}}

I am so glad you were able to give him such a wonderful home for most of his life.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

As my two get older, I've made the decision that after they are gone, I cannot have any more pets. It's just too sad.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post