Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Slipped Disc???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slipped Disc??? Sign In/Join 
Picture of sewnso
posted
My Brussels Grifone is having back issues. I took her to the vet and although he didn't take an X-Ray, he and I are both sure that it is a back problem. She is soooo lethargic and just lays on my lap all day. Won't eat except when I hand feed her the dog food. She has to have something on her stomach before she has the anti-inflammatory that the vet scripted. My question is does anyone know if this is treatable??? What sort of treatment other than pain medication can be done???? Is anything successful????

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3077 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Don't these injuries show up on X-rays? I am thinking I would really like to know for sure, the problem, prior to treatment.
Don't small breeds often have back issues when jumping down from high places? Like a bed or couch.
Perhaps some doggie steps or hassocks can help in the future if this is an issue.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Both of my dogs (small guys) have had back problems. Is the vet sure it is slipped?

For my guys, it was absolutely no jumping, running, free time. Definitely a no-no to pick up the dog unless absolutely necessary and then keeping the back absolutely still/straight. No walks, and leashed even to potty in the yard. Crate was preferred location until the various meds kicked in and until the prescribed course was completed.

Also, check all your floor surfaces for slick or slippery spots. Wet tiles outside, slippery kitchen floors (vinyl, linoleum) and keep the dog from having to cross those.

Posts: 3453 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
We just had to have Boomer operated on for a disk issue.

When examining the surgeon pushed on his spine till he found the spot. They knew where to focus the MRI. That or a CAT scan will absolutely determine the spot.

If your baby still has full use of his back legs, change his lead to a harness. If you lift him up be sure to keep him level by using two hands - one front and back. As was mentioned, crate when away and keep him confined. Ask your vet about Rimadyl. That will take the edge off his pain and allow him to eat.

Does your vet seem to think with crating it will go back in place? The earlier it is fixed the quicker his recovery.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3603 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 6 lb. morkie has hip dysplasia. It appears like he's injured his back...but vet tells us that is what he has. Apparently if the hip goes back into place he's okay, but if it happens where it won't go back into place, the pain is excruciating and he would have to be put down. I pray this doesn't happen. He's had about 7 or 8 incidents; sometimes we don't even know what he's done. But, we know he needs footstools in family room and bedroom...as if he jumps without them, he'll really hurt himself...he actually wimpers in pain for two or three days...then he seems to be better, forgets about it and is back to himself. I'd get a second opinion, as we only found out with a second opinion...first vet didn't know how he'd hurt himself.

Posts: 746 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Our beloved bichon had two back surgeries.

Posts: 13008 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Sue, hasn't your vet prescribed rimadyl? Boomer has been on it since his surgery to take the edge off the pain. It is ridiculous to allow an animal to be in pain when there are meds to help. Tramadol is also good for taking the edge off - it makes them a little drowsy so it helps to keep the animal more calm. It is also prescribed for humans for pain.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3603 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's perfectly fine and no pain, but as he ages, that might not be so...then we will definitely look at medicating him. Luckily, we're not there yet.

Posts: 746 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post