Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  home temps and pets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

home temps and pets Sign In/Join 
posted
I use a programmable thermostat to control heat/AC. During cold months, when heat is used & I'm at work during the day, temps goes down several degrees while I'm gone. During AC season, the opposite.

I'm home for the summer and with temps being WELL into 90's for almost 2 weeks, AC has been on all the time. Setting it at 74-75 works for me... as long as I'm not getting remotely strenuous with anything.

IF I was not in the house during the day... what do you think would be an acceptable HIGH temp to set AC to?

Posts: 5620 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thatchairlady, For myself with cats in the house, if I wasn't here during the day, the highest I would set the temp would be 76* for two reasons. 1. Comfort for the animals and 2. Any higher and the AC would have to work overtime to get the temp back down to a comfortable one which would negate the power savings in the first place. JMHO Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We often have our AC thermostat set at 77-78 during the day, goes down to 73 when we sleep at night.

Animals can often find cooler spots on the floor surfaces, if they desire it. Our two retrievers are senior citizens now, and often tend to seek warmer areas.

Posts: 9603 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We set our a/c at 79 or 80. Our pets have never shown any signs of distress. They just sprawl out more on cooler areas and they may drink more water.

Posts: 6990 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post