Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  my dogs act like they're starving
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my dogs act like they're starving Sign In/Join 
posted
They eat like they have a tape worm but are gaining weight and getting too heavy. Both are very small so I have to watch it. It's been really cold so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

any ideas?

Posts: 2316 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Quality of food? Any table scraps (not good, make sure no one in the family is feeding them also)
More than one dog, and they can tend to gulp food and always look for more.

Dogs will eat more if bored, so some regular exercise is good all around...for all of us.Wink

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they have been checked recently by a vet and nothing is wrong.

Then they have just learned how to train you to give them more food. Smile. Mine has tried that........ They are very skilled at it. Lol. Weigh them, measure their food, and grin and bear it when it comes to their antics trying to convince you they are starving.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Dividing the food up into at least 2 meals a day is also good. We have always fed all our past and present dogs, both morning and late afternoon.

One meal every 24 hours just does not seem right, (said my dogs).Wink

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're eating the same food they always have and 1/4 cup twice a day. Treats in am and pm but low cal.

Posts: 2316 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If they have been less active (or because of cooler temps, less opportunity for activity, ie walks and play), then I am thinking it may just be general boredom?

Food is something in the day to look forward to, and the more the better, they may think. Any special brand you are feeding them? Sometimes nutrients can be lacking in grocery store brands and that is what they may crave?

A few canned green beans given as a treat for an average size dog, tend to have nearly zero affect on weight. Yet the dogs consider it yummy.

Picture of Mue
posted Hide Post
Don't have a dog but notice my cat, Melvis, seems hungry all the time. Maybe they feel the need to fill up against the cold.....imagine chippers or squirels stuffing their little facesSmile

Boredom doesn't help.....if your pups hate the cold and only do a quick pee & poop run......they are missing out on play time, racing & chasing! Doggie treadmill?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#1 Pesky Cat

Feb.14, 2003

Posts: 317 | Registered: May 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few canned green beans given as a treat for an average size dog, tend to have nearly zero affect on weight. Yet the dogs consider it yummy.

If your dogs are like mine and hate green beans carrots will work as well. They add bulk without adding much in calories. I tried green beans for mine as they had gained some weight and surprising not one of my 4 dogs would eat the beans...and the weirdest is these dogs will eat just about anything...so I tried carrots and they like them so I buy the 3lb bag at Sam's and chop them up. I replaced 1/2 cup of their food with the carrots and they don't seem to mind. I started with the baby carrots but with Now 3 dogs that get the carrots it is seriously cheaper to get full size carrots and chop them.

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Good point debicga.
Mine seem only interested in the canned green beans, never the fresh, only mildly interested in raw carrot pieces. Whatever works, works.
One will eat ANYthing, including lettuce leaves. The other dislikes most all fresh vegetables and fruits.

They both come running when a plastic bread wrapper crinkles, hoping something drops on the floor. I think if it came to a bread heel or piece of chicken, it might be a hard decision.

Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine seem only interested in the canned green beans, never the fresh, only mildly interested in raw carrot pieces

I tried canned, frozen and raw...nope didn't want them at all. My one dog that is completely ruled by his stomach is also the pickier of the 3. Altho still not really a picky eater he won't eat some of the things, like cantelope, that the other 2 love. But he will take the piece, decide he doesn't like it, spit it out but still come back for more Smile

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seriously, only a half cup of food a day per dog? that's it? you try living on only a half cup of food for one day & see if you don't get hungry too. no wonder they are hungry, espiecially in the wintertime, where you need more than that just to get thru the day. go ahead live on what you feed your dogs for one day & see what you think. I don't mean on dog food of course, but on the equivalent amount of people food. if it's good enough for your dogs it ought to be good enough for you. just so you know what it feels like for them.

cheryl hill

Posts: 375 | Location: lansing, MI u.s.a. | Registered: Aug 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
aggiegrad, OP stated they are "very small dogs". I assumed a mini breed of some sort. And she said they were gaining weight on that amount.

Don't forget that the amount of dog food can vary as to the quality/nutrition/density of the food also.

We have 60-68 lb dogs and they get 2 and 2.5 cups each per day, total, divided half into two feedings. They are in excellent heath & active for senior dogs.

Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem is the wolf instincts kicking in. For wild animals to survive through the winter the had to consume as many calories as possible in the fall and winter. They needed those extra pounds to surive the food shortages later in the year. These days the food shortages are gone but the instinct to eat as much as possible remains.

Diet dog food - high bulk, low calorie - is available. Talk to your vet.

Take them out to play in the snow. A few minutes in the cold won't hurt them. Divide their meals into 2 or 3 portions. Add green beans or carrots like other people have suggested.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carolyn in MI
posted Hide Post
I use canned pumpkin...plain not the pumpkin pie mix...and do half food and pumpkin. I feed morning and night. Also green beans work well.

Posts: 22 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
aggie grad, I weigh 20 times as much as one of my dogs so I should have 10 cups of food a day? I think not, I'd be big as a barn.

posted Hide Post
no, I said the same amount as what you feed your dogs. meaning only a half a cup a day, not ten cups of food a day. & yes I still stand by what I said. I don't care who disagrees with me. you can only feel what they feel if you do the same thing.

cheryl hill

Posts: 375 | Location: lansing, MI u.s.a. | Registered: Aug 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, don't want to incite the discussion but have to say that I sometimes wonder who comes up with these rules of a half-cup or whatever so many times a day. I only have cats now but have had many dogs throughout my lifetime and always "free-fed" them and not one was fat or even "pudgy" although I have to admit that all were raised on open land and they could run and play as much as they wanted. And then they come back to their living quarters where at least 10 pounds of dogfood was always available so they never adopted the habit of scarfing everything in sight....

If they were hungry, they ate; if not, they didn't. Pretty simple but I'm sure exercise is a large component to the equation. Now that I have only indoor cats, I do the same. Dry catfood is always available and not a fat cat in sight! But they do love their treats at night - a couple of tablespoons of milk each for the Maine Coons and a can of canned catfood split between the other four makes for a very happy house indeed. Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Just have to chime in.
Each of us has different households, schedules and some inside and maybe some outside animal companions. We all have our reasons and I think all of our animal's welfare in mind in what ever works for us.

Can't speak for cats, but Dog breeds can differ as to whether they are food driven or not, as well as issues with multiple dogs in the same house. My Goldens would be very obese if allowed to eat all they wanted, and one of them would just eat all the available food in order to keep the other from eating. Not all dogs are like that, I admit. But when we took in foster dogs, and many were obese, it was nearly always free feeding and table scraps. Once that was corrected they were happy pups.

Ours love their food and it is nutrient rich, so I know they are getting enough by their coats and stature. (The vet always compliments them on their muscle tone and conformation, as most he sees are too heavy and with health issues)

Most vets, (seeing eye dog trainers, Cesar, Police K9 units, etc) recommend set eating amounts and times, so you know if your dog is "off" and not well, much sooner. In fact I don't even know anyone (but on these boards) that free feeds their dogs. Potty times are much more regular too, if you have them indoors and are gone part of the day, they go right after they eat or exercise.

Picture of bluesbarby
posted Hide Post
My dog Riley is a small 12 pound dog. He gets 1/2 cup every morning. I've tried giving him 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 in the evening but then he just leaves the evening meal. I do give him a few treats, usually baby carrots during our sessions in the evening (training)and I bring out the plates from the cats so he can lick them clean. He goes nuts over those. We have to watch our plates in the evening because he will steal food if given the chance but he's not a beggar. Now the cats get 1 can of wet food between the three of them and they free feed on the dry food but we measure the dry food also. No ones overweight which is the important thing and they are all healthy.

Posts: 534 | Location: southern california | Registered: Jun 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I can report they're doing well again. One weighs 6.6 lbs and one 11 lbs so neither is under or over weight. Thanks for the input.

Picture of SandraS
posted Hide Post
since I've been away and this discussion is pretty much over, what the heck. I'll chime in. I used to free feed. Well, it ain't free with a GSD, a mixed malmute and 2 pom mixes. So I had to go on a feeding schedule with reduced amounts. Nobody has starved or died from it. Some weight has been lost and energy levels raised. Now if it were only that simple to do it to myself!

Posts: 2094 | Location: NE Georgia | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some dogs are just very food motivated ...my one dog always act like he is starving and the other walks away from his food before its finnished ....it can just be the dogs hature www.somepets.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ads are not allowed. And you really just irritate people..... A lot!

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are under a year old they should be on a strict diet of 30% protein, fruits, vegetables, eggs, and added vitamins they require or their growth won't be normal; these are available at pet stores, not grocery and are pricey. It could be they are eating a store brand that is high in fillers (cereal) and they are not getting the nutrients they need. If they are over 3 or 4 years, I would have the vet check them for diabetes...that is one symptom: over-eating, filling up on carbs, drinking a lot of water and urinating often. I'd discuss it with your vet.

Posts: 746 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post