Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  4th of July and pet damage.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4th of July and pet damage. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Handie Ann
posted
Last weekend we became aware that our dog does not handle fireworks and loude gun shots. So on the 4Th we went over to our DS's place for a party, and left our dog at home in the house. We have left her home in the house many times with no problems. This is what we came home to. The door into the garage. This is the most of the damage.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3539 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
This is a close up of the door knob.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3539 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
This is the second area of damage. our bedroom door.

Handie Ann

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
This is what the doorknob looks like.

Handie Ann

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
She is a one dog demo crew. You should see what she has done to the outside of our house. Next year I will take the pictures to our vet and get something to calm her down with. Other than that she is a good dog.

Handie Ann

posted Hide Post
Awwww, that is too bad. Looks like you will have to start crating her on the 4th.

Posts: 7029 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handie Ann, I'm so sorry that you had this occur ~ is this the first year that you have had her? Just wondered as you said that you became aware that she was frightened "last weekend" (which I figure would have been June 29-30) but it was only after you left her alone on the Fourth that the damage was done?

Yes, she caused a lot of damage demonstrating just how strong her fears were and that she very frantic about the noises associated with the 4th of July ~ wonder where that came from? I think you are right to consult with a vet for some meds before the next time such events might occur but only crate her IF she is crate-trained and views the crate as a place of security; otherwise being contained might make things even worse.

For what it's worth, one of our family dogs "'way back in the old days" had the same phobia ~ situation solved with a mild sedative and constant companionship (holding on tight)during the event itself always helped. In viewing your photographs, it's clear that she really needs your reassurance and help during those times.

Luckily, doors and doorknobs are easily replaced; dogs not so easily so I hope you are able to look past this one incident, reduce the chances of it happening again and still love her. Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG, she must have been so, so terrified. Poor doggie. I agree about medicine for the next year. Is there a place you can take her that might be somewhat quieter? Or lock yourself and her in a room, maybe put on the AC so there's other noise that might help block the fireworks?

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We have friends/relation whom have had good luck with a "thunder shirt"? Kind of a tight stretch garment that snugs/swaddles the dog like a hug. They claim these work very well, at least to reduce the reaction.
We have been lucky to have dogs that are not adversely affected by thunder or fireworks, as we conditioned them, often with other non fearful dogs at a young pup age. (At least that is my theory)Wink

We are also lucky here in our CO county and township that fireworks are banned, except for the public display. Thank goodness!

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
This is our first year with Coco She is 8 years old. She does not like small spaces (crates) will not use her dog house outside. She will stay in our fenced yard as long as we are home. She does like for us to leave our front door open when she is out side so she can see us. She also likes to be covered up at night. She has her own blanket that she likes in her bed. She is very friendly with people but not with other dogs. We think that she was raised in an apartment because she was not used to going outside by her self. She still likes company when she is outside,but she is getting better in going outside by her self. If we leave her at home she has to be inside. If outside we have to tie her up and put a muzzle on her as she will try to take the siding off of the house. But other than that she is a great dog. Last weekend we took her on her first camping trip with us. She did good until some campers started setting of fireworks and shooting off their guns. We were in a campgrounds in a National Park. When we are away from home we keep her on a leash unless we are by ourselves. So next year for the 4th we will get her something to calm her down. She was really upset last 4th I was up with her until after 3 am today the 6th she is finily back to what we know as normal for her. We will continual to work with her. and try to keep her out of situations that she is uncomfortable with. The more that she is with us the better she is. Thanks for reading this long note.

Handie Ann

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Poor thing.

I worried about son's dachshund. Son was at work and Kirk was in the outside pen. We had a fairly quiet night in the country, but about 9:30 a close neighbor set off some fireworks. I stepped outside to listen for Kirk but heard nothing. And thinking it would stop at 10 anyway. I went on to bed. Fireworks continued for a little bit. Son said after he got home and let Kirk in the camper, than he walked the floor a bit. When one loud bang went off, he jumped up and barked. He stood a bit...no more bang...he laid back down contented as if he'd stopped it single handed. LOL

Posts: 17049 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Oh my!

Our little rescue mutt has big problems with the noise too. We have a Rx from the vet for her. This year we were away so she was in the deluxe doggie spa and she was unlikely to hear any noise (and rec'd a good report from staff). My brother lost his dog when fireworks went off a year or two ago - sadly, they never found her.

A lot of people also swear by the Thundershirts that are now widely available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3271 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I may have to try one of the Thundershirts for our dog. My DBIL has one for His dog. When they put it on her she just flops over and will not move.

Handie Ann

posted Hide Post
Conrad, that was my theory too. Till a dog proved me wrong. So much for theories.LOL

I had good luck with just letting the dog go where it was most comfortable (usually in a hides hole in the basement). But then he was not left alone when the fireworks were possible, so we were lucky.

Posts: 7029 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I may be a scrooge or even considered non patriotic, but personally am VERY happy when more and more locations ban fireworks in general. (For so many reasons, including the animals).

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of investing in a 'thundershirt' for my toy poodle. He's 8 yrs. old now & the storms are starting to bother him. He was never bothered before this year...I think it's just an age thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7821 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
sorry to say conrad, here in mi they changed the restrictons, and we had tent sales everywhere! the boomers started in june!

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
sjf, that is not good. Frown
The constant Pop pop pop and booms can be so irritating. Wonder how it affects those coming back from recent military deployment too.

I have not spent the 4th in NE for many years, but a neighbor there said it was very noisy on the 3rd and 4th. Advantage of spending my time here, next to the National park....laws are very serious about NO personal fireworks at all. Both wild life issues and fire danger are just too hazardous.

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Here it is the 9th of July and they are still lighting off the fireworks. I just wish that the police would do their jobs and try to stop them.
We were away from home for a few hours and our dog took out more of the dry wall in our kitchen. Now to fix it we will have to remove one of the cuboards and the dishwasher. What we thought was going to be a few dollars and some time to fix is now going to be days and hundrads of dollars to fix. I spent the afternoon cleaning the carpet in my sewing room that she soaked on the 4th. (I had to get my carpet cleaner back from my DS) It is 1 Am and she is laying under my feet as I sit here at the computer.

Handie Ann