Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  8 month border coliie won't go out alone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 month border coliie won't go out alone Sign In/Join 
posted
we adopted a 8 month female border collie/mix and she does not want to go in the backyard alone. If i make a step outside she will venture out a little sometimes a lot but won't go out alone if we just open the door. any suggestions? i really do not want to go out with her every time..

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long have you had her? Is this new?

Posts: 7102 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
As metwo asked, how long have you had her?

Since she is adopted, she may have been left outside for long periods by her prior owner or something else happened to frighten or other wise scare her into feeling alone/abandoned. Baby steps to build her confidence may be required? If you can her to go outside, I would continue to stand just inside where she can see you for a while.

I think that Border collies/shelties and others tend to bond very tightly with their owners, she may just need more time to trust you. Obedience classes, at any age, can be great for building this trust.

Posts: 9634 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
If you've only just brought her into your home then this is likely an adjustment period. Like Conrad states, she may have been stuck outside. My sheltie mix will go out alone when she really needs to, but she prefers the other dog to go out with her. So maybe your pup is unsure without her "pack". Patience and trust will bring her around. If you can, leave the door open for short periods so that she feels comfortable coming and going.

And another vote for obedience training to build trust.

Posts: 3339 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just got her on Friday so surrondings are new to her. It has been 10 years since we had a dog, and don't remember this issue with any of them. we do plan to take her to obedience classes and she already knows sit, so either she is a quick learner or someone has already taught her some commands. she was picked up as a stray. Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She will be just fine. Just give her some time. Everything is new to her and she is a puppy.

When we got our dog from the pound he would not go into the garage, not even to get to the car and he loved rides. We decided it was the concrete floor that reminded him of the pound. It took several weeks of work with a leash but he got over it.

Have fun with your puppy. Remember the leash is your friend. Smile

Posts: 7102 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post