Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Tortilla *sad*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tortilla *sad* Sign In/Join 
posted
Last night I noticed Tortilla, about a 13 year old female kitty, not acting quite right. We took her into the vets this morning and it turns out, her kidneys had shut down completely. We didn't even know she had kidney problems and she had been acting normally until last night.

She was much sicker today than she was last night. We had to have her put to sleep and we buried her in the yard next to Charcoal and Little White.

Very, very sad and in sort of a daze at how rapidly this happened.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3512 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, CCM, my heart goes out to you. I really don't know which is worse ~ the sudden onset or the prolonged diagnosis ~ both tear our hearts out. Frown

The only thing I do know is that Tortilla was very fortunate to have spent the time she did with you ~ she was a "rescue" cat, right? And you gave her the love and caring she had never had ~ as hard as it is to say goodbye, know that she loved you from the first time you said "hello" ~ and she's now at the Rainbow Bridge...

Group Hug

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very very sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose one of our furry friends.

Posts: 3180 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's so sad. I am very sorry for your loss.

Posts: 452 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Handie, IR, 16 paws, and daphne. Still just so sad and shocked at the speed in which this happened.

posted Hide Post
Oh so sorry for your loss. Tortilla must have been a brave and stoic cat to not have shown any prior symptoms. You have given her love and a great home for all these years and now there's another hole in your heart. So hard to lose our furbabies.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry about your loss. That is the hardest thing about our fur babies - they can't tell us when it hurts or when things aren't right. If we don't realize right away things are quite right they go so quickly.

Hugs to you and your family.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3484 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that CM. ~hugs~

Wanda

Posts: 4855 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry about Tortilla. Speaking from experience, I know how you feel, and I know you'll always miss your furbaby. One of my 5 cats, Lynx got sick all of a sudden, he had bone cancer. I said goodbye to him the day after Thanksgiving last year. I still remember some of the things he used to do, and I'm afraid I cry. He, and his brother and sister had been with me since they were born. I loved that little cat, and I miss him so much, as I know you miss Tortilla and the others. HUGS!!!

Posts: 1081 | Location: Chadbourn, NC USA | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you mamaspoon, charming, wanda, and irish. Just such a sad surprise.

Picture of Yve*
posted Hide Post
CM,

Oh sweetie, I am sooo sorry. As you know I haven't been here in a while and I'm sorry for the late condolences.

I know it must have been a shock to you, but at least you can take solace in knowing that she didn't suffer. You are left behind with lovely memories and maybe, just maybe that is the way it was meant to be since you've had your share of watching your furry ones suffer and then the loss.

RIP Tortilla

~The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Mahatma Gandhi~

Posts: 1016 | Location: New York | Registered: Jul 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Timetosew
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you are still grieving Tortilla and I am so sorry for you. Our cats leave a deep impression on our hearts. May your wonderful memories comfort you.

Marilyn

Posts: 179 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Charcoal, I, too, tend to not visit the boards very often. So very sorry to hear about your beloved kitty.Frown

Not quite sure about this, but I think I've heard/read where kidney problems are difficult to diagnose (quickly) in animals.

So hard to lose our furbabies. Thank you for being a loving and caring pet parent. If Tortilla could talk, I'm sure she would have told you the same thing.

Seems so many furbabies are crossing over the bridge lately.Frown

Please accept my condolences as well.

(((Hugs)))

Paula

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. I know how bad it hurts. Frown

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7397 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
CM, I'm so sorry that I'm so late posting on this thread, somehow I thought I already had, but then looked at it and realized I hadn't. Frown I'm so, so sorry about the loss of your sweet Tortilla. May she RIP.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry for your loss Charcoalsmom. I had a 14 year old Siamese die of kidney failure very suddenly. I know how you feel. Hugs from Georgia.

Posts: 2210 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post