Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  one dog is jealous of another...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

one dog is jealous of another... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted
What can I do? The oldest and most mellow is Toby. Molly is his stepsister from another litter. Molly is jealous of every dog in my house. I don't know what to do, Molly will jump on Toby and even though Toby is twice her size, she tries to kill him.
I've tried lavishing love on Molly, but Toby is my first love and she seems to know this. She will attack Toby when someone comes to the door, when we're outside for no reason...I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do!

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
What is Molly's age? Was she well socialized before you brought her home?
Dogs sometimes have a hard time figuring out where their place is in the pack. Make sure you are the alpha...all the time.

We have had multi dog households, and used to do foster care. See if anything below might help?

If Toby is mellow, and non excited, when someone comes to the door, she may not know how to handle the situation and just reacts out of a burst of nervous energy. If he does not fight back, she may have learned this is a safe way (for her) to deal with her energy. Perhaps setting up a situation where Toby is not present and a guest comes to the door can test this.

So if she is younger, does she get adequate exercise and controlled walks? When ever we brought a second dog to the pack, I would enroll them in a group obedience course, with out the other family dog/dogs. It allowed me to have one on one with the new dog, and establish that I was the one to listen to. Then equal attention (one at a time) for treats and scratches while at home. The other had to wait (good obedience practice for sits/downs/stays), but learned to trust that their time was coming.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Molly is 4 and Toby is 5. Toby has been through obedience class and didn't do well. Molly has not been to obedience class.
How can I be the alpha when they won't listen to me? Toby was really good at listening to me when he got out of obedience class, now it just takes him awhile, but he does 'obey' me.
Jack, our pit bull mix is the same and Molly will eventually listen to me.
Usually, after there is a incident as there was this afternoon, Toby won't go to the door and will let Molly go first. This is a solution.
I have never bought a dog! Both of mine are rescues and I got them both as pups. In my opinion, they don't get enough exercise. Both my husband are I are in bad health and can't take the dogs on walks. once in awhile, I will take two of the dogs down to the pond. It usually is Toby and Molly and they are fine on walks. It's only when someone comes to the door that these fights happen and Molly always starts them.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like they all need more obedience training and you need to be more assertive. They will be happier once they know you are in control and they can just follow.

I understand about the health problems. You can do obedience training in the house. Pick one at a time and put the other dogs outside or in crates or another room. Practice for about 10 minutes or a little less starting with sit. Have them on leash. When they do not sit on the first command do not repeat it but go push their butt down or whatever method you use. Do not say anything except to repeat sit as you do it. Once they sit on first command reward them either with praise or a small treat.

I'm sorry I got carried away as you probably know this already. You just sounded so frustrated when you said they won't listen to you.

I had a dog that was wonderful in obedience but after a time he would forget. We had to do trainig. Maybe every month or two for his entire life. He was also one of the happiest dog I ever had.

Posts: 7220 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you and conrad have such rational answers, but the problem is that we live in the middle of nowhere and DH and I are both on Social Security. so, obedience training is a luxury!
molly and toby both know all the commands, they just don't want to do!

i know that there is no set answer to this problem.
thanks for your help!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
One thing you can do, (that may help) is not give affection, food or treats without them doing something you ask them to before it is given. This establishes you as in control (alpha in their eyes).

Spoiled dogs can often interpret petting or food as their rights...you being the maid, waiter, employee..you get the idea. You should have control, after all you pay the bills, right?Wink
They will often come up and press themselves on you, and if you always pet and hug, this can (in some dogs) be a show of subordination. (Think of a wolf pack licking and grovelling in front of the returning alpha adults?)

Asking them to sit, down or other command they know before giving them any reward (even going outside) can sure go a long way to getting them to respect your authority. They WILL balk at first, but they do notice when one does the command and gets rewarded. The hard part is staying true to this, and not caving in...just because it is easier to do so? A bag/container of small treats (kibble, cereal, crackers, etc, may be handy to have available in different locations or better yet, on your person)

We do wish you luck and please post back with any problems or progress?

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize you are in the country and have health problems. That is why I suggested you do a little training in the house. You do not need formal classes.

My dog is like a jack inthe box with sit or down. I have been lax in correcting him. Your post reminds me that I do have to work with him.

Please let us know how things are coming.

Posts: 7220 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you say the problem is when someone comes to the door? well, then practice having molly sit or stay inside, while one of you goes out & knocks on the door or uses the doorbell, the other one makes her stay down. have toby in another room until she starts listening to you. that's what I would do anyway. since you've identified the problem that's half the battle. once she starts doing as you say, bring toby back in. if she goes after him rather than what you tell her, you'll have to start all over. good luck. she will get it eventually.

cheryl hill

Posts: 375 | Location: lansing, MI u.s.a. | Registered: Aug 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, but we did try. We tried your suggestion, aggiegrad, a few months ago, but she never did get it.

We no longer have the dogs. It was not a matter of choice, but what we had to do. All we can hope is that Toby wasn't in too much pain when he left us. Molly was a beautiful dog and I wanted to keep her, but I just couldn't trust her around other dogs.

posted Hide Post
WHAT??? That was a shocker.

Carry on.......

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, Barb. That sounds like a solution that was very hard for you. Do you have any dogs now?

posted Hide Post
we have one dog remaining. He is a Jack Russell, pit bull mix. Thanks to Molly, he's afraid of his own shadow and EVERYTHING else. It was a very hard decision and one that I really didn't want to have to make, but Molly took it out of my hands when she attacked a neighbor's dog.

Lady's mom...why was this a shocker? I explained what was going on and that we couldn't afford obedience classes for Molly. When I took her for her shots, I even asked the vet if there was anything I could do. Like everyone else, I think that she didn't really take me seriously, when I told her that Molly tried to kill Toby.

posted Hide Post
Did you give them awAy, have them put down, kill them what? Why would Toby have been in pain. Why didn't you keep him if he was good?

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post