Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Bone cancer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bone cancer Sign In/Join 
posted
Just found out that my 6 year old mastiff has bone cancer. We are devastated. We are using pain medications but she doesn't show any signs of pain but she has a lump on her front foot and has lost 6 pounds. Anyone have any experience with this diagnosis?

Posts: 3208 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience. Just wanted to express my sympathy and wish you luck.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any discussion of amputation? It might give her a longer life with you.

I'm so sorry!

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mastiffs need their front feet for balance--amputation is not an option. She adored walking and exercising much more than most mastiffs. We will just play it by ear and let her go peacefully when the right time comes. Thanks for your posts.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. Quality of life is everything, not the length for our dogs. Our (one week shy of 12 years) Golden, died suddenly just a couple months ago. She had been loosing weight and her coat was getting rough during the past year, but continued to be happy and active right up till her last day. Probably some type of internal sarcoma, as her stools and urine were also normal.
But the good ones all tend to go too soon, no matter how long they live, darn it. Frown

Posts: 9633 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that about mastiffs.

I know that some dogs can live quite a long time with some types of cancer, so I hope that is the case for you.

Cherish what you have. I lost my Lady suddenly last October and I still grieve.

posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with this. I don't have dogs, I have cats. I'm so sorry about your dog. I'll say a prayer for her.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Chadbourn, NC USA | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your good thoughts. I think that it's getting towards the end since she is having much more difficulty walking and the tumor on her leg has grown considerably. I am trying to take it day by day and do what's best for her. Once again thanks!

posted Hide Post
16 paws, So very sorry to hear this....

When it gets toward the end, it's so just *&)% hard, but I know you will do what is best for her. And all of us will be here for you....

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has only been 2 months.. It seems to be spreading rapidly. Knowing it is coming does not make it any easier. Just keep her happy as you can. Will be lthinking of you during this difficult time.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 6-year-old boxer Grace is in surgery right now to remove a tumor on her front right leg.

The vet is pretty sure it's a mast cell tumor. So I guess we may be following in your footsteps.

posted Hide Post
Lady's Mom--I hope that you didn't get bad news from the vet.

posted Hide Post
Haven't heard back from the biopsy. Takes 7-10 days.

Thank you for asking.

posted Hide Post
Keep us posted--I'm sending good thoughts your way!

posted Hide Post
The results are in----and I guess I'm not really surprised: grade 2 mast cell tumor.

They feel certain that not all the cancer cells were removed, because the tumor went deep into the soft tissue. My vet went as deep as he could go without damaging the muscle.

He wants me to see an oncologist to discuss what the options might be. He feels that amputation is not a good choice on the front leg of a boxer, because they are so heavy in the front. And it would just buy us a little time.

She tried to tell me yesterday that it was serious, and I didn't want to know it. And so it goes....

posted Hide Post
You may not be surprised but we always hope not to hear it anyway. Give Grace an extra hug from me.

posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear your news. I was hoping for the best, but that is not to be. I totally understand the issue about amputation and agree that is not a good option for either of our dogs. I guess the question that I would ask the oncologist is how much time and what kind of quality time would a treatment get for your dog. I know how hard it is to discuss this and how emotional it can be to address the issue with the vet since they deal with this every day and they don't have the emotions that we have when trying to discuss this with them. I could barely get out of the vet's when she gave me the news. I just wanted to sit down and cry.

posted Hide Post
I have dealt with mast cell tumors in several of my dogs over the years, so I'm looking at this a little differently, I guess.

I'm taking some time think about it, and research it, before seeing an oncologist.

In the meantime my other 2 boxers both have tumors that need to be removed, and one of them has already had one removed.

It seems like it never ends......

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I am soooo sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you. The Vet can't operate to remove the tumor? I only pray your furbaby stays happy and pain free as long as possible.

Posts: 2481 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to let you know that we had to put Mona to sleep Wednesday evening. The tumor on her leg had grown large and she was having difficulty walking. It was one of the hardest decisions that we have ever made. In the end we decided that keeping her going was just for us and we wanted to let her go before the pain became worse.

posted Hide Post
So sorry, 16 paws. It is always so hard.

Whenever I even read these threads I cry for past pets. It is so difficult but know you did the right thing.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
16paws, sorry for your loss.

Posts: 5210 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind thoughts they really help me.

posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry. Each time I go thru this I realize I was holding on for me. Somehow their peace gives me peace, if that makes sense.