Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  cat urine odor removal concoction!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cat urine odor removal concoction! Sign In/Join 
Picture of rubyruby
posted
Digitz is 5 and last year underwent a complete sex change operation do to his urethra and UTI's. Bless his heart he's so inbred and Id rescued him at 4 weeks. Since this surgery, He has been urinating everywhere but the box. on my screened in porch, garage, He's had a few accidents inside in corners of dining room with wood floors and bathtub BM's, no pee thank goodness. He's not done this in over 8 months on the inside. He's also started urinating in my Husbands prized antique Jeep on the floorboard. Added to all of this, my home is on the market going on 60 days. So I asked a guy that worked for animal control if he knew a sure fire remedy for cat urine. To which he replied Hydrogen Peroxide. So I've got 3 huge bottles and started pouring it on the areas Digitz is using. Then I googled. And below is what I got! I'm off work today, needless to say...I'm scrubbing and Digitz will no longer be allowed inside. Period...I'm at my wits end

There is only one sure way to get urine out permanently without leaving a stain or any odor behind. This can be used on any surface or carpet or material. This formula is being sold on e-bay so someone will be unhappy, but I think profiting on other people's misery isn't fair. It's simple...

16 0z Hydrogen Peroxide
1 Teaspoon dishwashing liquid
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda

Mix together and soak area, leave on till completely dry if a white residue appears it can be vacuumed or brushed away. This has never failed and I have 16 cats.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I think that's the Skunk Scent Remover. Also, all that peroxide may bleach the surface you use it on.

For urine scent removal I use Kennel Odor Eliminator, an enzine-based product my vet sells. Its similar to Nature's Miracle, which is available at most places that sell pet supplies.

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
He hasn't urinated on anything other than the concrete slab, in garage and on screened in porch concrete floor. No worries of the HP bleaching something out...I think it would need to be in a much stronger solution than 3 percent.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I resolved my odor problems. Cleaning the litter box, here are several suggestions.
1. Wear a breathing face mask when cleaning the litter box. Every time you scoop out the waste; you are also releasing odors and toxins into the air, as you lean over the box, you're inhaling the fumes, also spray the litter with water prior to cleaning, help keep dust down.
2. Change the litter box outside, and this will help keep odors and toxins outside rather than inside your home. We resolved all ongoing odor problems with a product call Air-ReNu. One application and the house will continue, to smell fresh and clean.

Posts: 1 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post