Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Sardines for dog's skin and coat?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sardines for dog's skin and coat? Sign In/Join 
posted
I've recently heard that sardines packed in water are good for dry skin issues with dogs. has anyone tried this and did you have success with them?

Posts: 62 | Registered: Dec 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, grammatina, I haven't heard that and think that I would definitely check with the vet before trying it BUT, hopefully, there might be some others that have had experience with dogs/sardines that can relay their experiences with it whether good or bad.... Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I believe that Sardines are a very oily fish, whether packed in oil or water. Additional healthy oil in the diet can often help with dry skin, but be aware oils do add calories also. (especially notable on a small breed dog) Are you presently feeding a good quality dog food?

Not heard of adding sardines either, but I add a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil to our 2 retriever's afternoon meal portions. Spending so much time in the dry, mountain air, it seems to help their skin and coat combat dryness. And of course they love the addition.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most all fish have benefits for humans as well as dogs. You've read about them I am sure. I am not sure I would use sardines though. First is the strong smell. Wonder how long it lasts? Second is the amount of sodium since it is canned. I don't know how much salt a dog should have or how much is in a tin so it would have to be checked out.

If I were just concerned about the skin I would use oil, as Conrad said. In the past I have used whatever is on hand, usually canola oil. My current dog has no problem with skin so I don't use it now.

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
There are oil formulas for dogs available in pet stores, but those tend to be pricey - salmon oil, etc. We were buying it but it was cheaper just to switch to regular extra V olive oil. Dogs like it and I just stock up on store brands during sales or buy in bulk at Costco.

We use oils for skin and coat (very dry climate) because when we adopted the dogs, each had such horrible issues. Everyone who meets my pups comments on their coats.

There are also premium foods out there now with omega oils/fatty acids. I too would be careful with a canned product as metwo suggests.

Talk to your vet and ask what sort of supplements your dog needs in his diet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 2962 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Water packed sardines were noted on a few webpages for the great dosage of the healthy Omega 3s.
Freshness can be an issue after opening a can. If you have a small or tiny dog, you may want to either share the smaller can (appropriate serving for you and the dog)Wink or immediately freeze the rest, and thaw a serving daily.
Because they are a small fish or immature large fish, they are not apt to have the accumulated mercury that some other larger fish may have. And if you feed it, they may also smell fishy.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
When we adopted our present dog she had very dry skin, and had lost a lot of her hair. We put her on a good dog food and give her a fish oil caplet and give her a bowl of oatmeal with a raw egg and some milk every day. we also give her a allergy pill every day per vets suggestion. As long as she is getting the allergy pill every day she has stopped scrathing herself raw and she is not whezzing all the time her coat is now full for her bred and shinning. She looks 100% better than when we first got her. We still give her oatmeal and egg and milk every day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Handie Ann,

Handie Ann

Posts: 3438 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post