Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Saying goodbye to Tigger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saying goodbye to Tigger Sign In/Join 
posted
Well, as many of you know, we have six cats ~ now five as Tigger passed away last night and she was buried today with honors in our own "family" pet cemetary....

Tigger was one of the sweetest cats I have ever known ~ she had to be to survive her rough life. I first met her some 17-18 years ago when I realized that our next door neighbor had started feeding a "stray" cat and adopted her BUT she didn't take the cat into her house or have the money to have her spayed or given shots.

I persuaded the neighbor to let me take her in for both and, long story short, Tigger remained her cat until she passed away a few years ago and her son moved in. I bought several sacks of catfood and told him to let me know if he ever needed anything for the cat. He was a pretty good kid, just not someone who had ever been responsible for himself much less a living creature.

Discovered one day that he had simply left, the utilities were turned off (no water) and he was gone. But had left Tigger behind to fend for herself ~ when I saw her, she was a shadow of her former self, starved (weighed less than 3 pounds) and dehydrated so much that she actually just sat down and didn't care that I caught her up and took her home. I was a bit surprised because she was always so skittish.

A stay at the vets for 3 weeks or so made a world of difference and she came home to the first home she really ever had; such a sweetheart. Most of the posts I have posted here in the last 4 years or so were made while she was laying in my lap and purring.

And, now she is gone. It was her time to go and I am so thankful that she left peacefully and without pain but I guess I just wanted to acknowledge what a special cat she was after such a hard life. I'm going to miss my late nite cat-buddy ~ tonight the chair is so empty and lonely. Frown

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aww, IR. Tears are falling. I am so sad to hear of your loss of Tigger. She does sound like a wonderful kitty and I'm glad you were able to give her the love she deserved.

Bless your heart and bless hers. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. Tigger lived a long and better life thanks to you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7390 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear this, IR.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1554 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some animals are just so special they will be missed for as long as we have memories. Tigger sounds like one of those.

Posts: 6985 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCM, zone9alady, Kathy and metwo, Thank you all for the kind words about Tigger's passing. I know "it is only a cat" but, to me it is so much more which each of you clarified in your own special way.

And, yes, I do believe that no one, human or pet, is really truly gone so long as someone still remembers them....

Group Hug

Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
IR, oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about Tigger. :'(. She sounds like she was such a good kitty. I know how lonely and sad that chair must look. I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is losing a beloved pet. ((Hugs)).

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
IR so sorry to hear about your sweet Tigger. She was fortunate to end up with you and you with her. And she was more than a cat. She was a friend, companion and family member. Cyber Hugs.

Posts: 2205 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gypsy Dancer and Georgia Peach, for the condolences ~ very much appreciated as I get used to this new normal ~ one without Tigger in it. For such a quiet reclusive cat, she has left a very large hole in my everyday life. I go to get her and then remember that she is already gone....

But, it was a good passing if such a thing can ever be possible. I knew she was failing rapidly and that last night I told her goodbye ~ knowing that I would have to call the vet if things didn't change ~ when morning came, I found that she had curled up in her box and left for the Rainbow Bridge. What a wonderful parting gift she gave to me.

Group Hug

Picture of Yve*
posted Hide Post
IR,

I haven't been here in quite some time and something told me to check the board...

I am soooo sorry for your loss. Thank goodness that you were always vigilant of her where abouts. If it wasn't for you...who knows what would have happened to Tigger.

Animals always leave a hole in our hearts or maybe deeply imprinted pawprints in our hearts.

My heart goes out to you...

RIP Tigger

~The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Mahatma Gandhi~

Posts: 1016 | Location: New York | Registered: Jul 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Idaho, so sorry for your loss. I know how empty it feels when one of our furry friends leaves us. Tigger was lucky to have you as a friend. You were lucky to have Tigger with you. I think that it was fortunate that she did pass in her own way in her own home and not at the vets. I know that our vets do try and be gentle but it still hurts so much to have to take them for the final trip. I know that she left feeling the love and care in your home.

Posts: 3177 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Oooh what a sweet story about Tigger. Bless your heart IR. I had to put down my little digitz a few weeks ago and he was under 6 years. I'm so sad with you. Frown

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Timetosew
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost Tigger, but I am glad you had the opportunity to spend time with her through the years. Two years ago, I had to have one cat put to sleep and just 3 months later the other one died in my arms. One was 18 years old and the other one was 17 years old. I still miss them!

Marilyn

Posts: 179 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
oh my... just came to post that i had ot have my last kitty put down today...ashley had developed kidney and dental problems. she was one of a litter of 3 who were my 3 amigos...she was 18...bless her to the last day she used her kitty box (her brother needed to be restricted) i've never felt more alone than driving home... they were there 24/7, thru hyst, lumpectomy, chemo ect...but as much as i'd love to, i've promised dh no more cats...we've been married 43 years, i guess i owe him...you're so lucky to still have companions of the 4 legged varity!

Posts: 8523 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
16paws and Yve, I so appreciated your posts. As hard as it is, it makes it better, somehow, to know that others understand the pain and, Yve, your white candle is so comforting, thank you.

Timetosew, I completely understand the losses you endured in such a short amount of time. To have them for 17 and 18 years is such a testament to the love and care you gave them and then to lose them so close together? My most sincere condolences if no one else has told you that...

Aw, rubyruby, I am sorry to hear that you had to say "goodbye" to your beloved little digitz just weeks ago; I know how your heart must be aching. I'm sorry. Frown

And, sjf, I am so very, very, very sorry for what you had to go through today ~ I know exactly what you were feeling on the drive home. Ashley was a very lucky member of a beloved trio ~ tonight they are all together, once again, at the Rainbow Bridge and sharing thankfulness that they were lucky enough to have been "yours" during their time here on Earth...

It's never easy to part with our beloved friends but sharing the experience does make it easier so thank you ~ every one who has posted and those who lurk but care as well.

Group Hug

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Last July we had to take our beloved Heide for her last ride in her truck. We had to have her put down. I sat on the floor and held her while the Vet did her thing. She died on her own bed in the Vet's office. But she was ready to go. We had her for 14 of her 15 years. We were thinking of her comfort when we bought my DH's truck so we always called it her truck.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3510 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Reading of all of the losses on here makes me so sad. Only a TRUE animal lover that has been through losing a beloved fur baby knows the real hurt and pain one goes through when this happens. To each and every one of you that has lost a fur baby, recently or ever, I send my condolences. It's one of the hardest things a person ever goes through. Cry

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Aww Dearest Friend IR~ I had no idea this had happened...and on your birthday of all things.Frown
My heart just aches...

But I know that there was absolutely a very special kitty with a very special furmommy!
You gave Tigger everything he could ever want and need.

Many of us know all too well the feeling of that "lonely chair".Frown

I am glad that Tigger passed peacefully. Many wonderful memories I'm sure.

I wish I could hug you for a really long time right about now, but since I cannot physically do that...please feel it virtually.

Love ya mean it~

Paula

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like allof Tigger's 9 lives were enriched beacuse of you. Thank goodness for kind human beings- like you

Posts: 493 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I didn't see this before. This is the first chance I've had to get on the board. IR I'm so sorry about Tigger. She wasn't "just a cat". She was part of your family, and I know you miss her.
Timetosew--I'm sorry about your 2 cats.
SJF--I'm sorry about Ashley.
rubyruby--I'm sorry about Digitz. You'll all miss them, but like somebody said they won't really be gone as long as you remember them. And I have a feeling you'll always remember them. T's and p's for all of you.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Chadbourn, NC USA | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post