Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Lost 2 dogs in last 24 hours..to Ped i gree. poison Warning!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost 2 dogs in last 24 hours..to Ped i gree. poison Warning! Sign In/Join 
Picture of real estate lady
posted
First "Blade", then "Yeng Yang". Gone fast within 24 hours!

On Pedigree for years, but recently company had a change in formula. There are now 271 RECENT complaints re death and sickness when I search~Ped i gree complaints~~however I discoverd this website too late.

I am feeding bread and rice to my other dogs in hopes they will be okay.

Of course, for the purposes of this post, I separated brand name word so you would get this message. Signs of illness - somewhat lethargic, glassy eyes, dizzy, and bloody loose bowel movement near end.

Please pass the word on "fast" to your friends who feed their dogs this brand. The current bag I bought was "small breed 2x" and the one before was a 10 lb bag.
I have called my local media and they are on it, as there is no recall.

I am devastated over the poisoning of my fur babies..I did not know about this before my loss. Hopefully this message will save others.

Please pray for my other fur babies... no signs thank goodness ..as I threw out the food... hope they will be okay.

Posts: 9261 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh REL - that is terrible and our hearts go out to you.

Posts: 3281 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you... please pray for my furbabies...Chewy,
Groovy, Chevy, Tiki,and Jazzy...who seem okay.
I have ben feding them rice and changing out to another Brand.

Shame on Ped-i-gree for not warning the public about problems or changing out the formula as they call it, with their dry foods, after receivng 271 complaints from customers.

There was a recall in 2012 on their wet dog food.

Mars, producer of that dry food has many other pet products. Please research.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

posted Hide Post
I'm sure you've already done so, but check the house and property thoroughly for any other food or treats that might be around.

posted Hide Post
Oh dear, my heart sinks on hearing your devastating news. REL, Im so very sorry for your losses. We had a similiar situation a few years ago when the manufacturer changed an ingredient and our dog became deathly ill. Unfortunately, this happens more often than we realize.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mama- this is a nightmare and I assure you I plan to take it to the top..and get the word out.
I know Mars is closing plants, and leting workers go immediately. I pray there are not disgruntled workers.
What is troubling is no recall on dry Pedigree Dog Food. If this happened to my dogs it can happen to others.

So sad. So mad.

posted Hide Post
Oh, REL, my heart goes out to you....

Group Hug

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aww, REL, that is simply a nightmare. I am so sorry this happened to you and your dogs. [[[[[hugs]]]]]

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
This is so sad. I would be devastated and furious! Hope you can save your other pups.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7439 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How horrible, so sorry for your losses.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know you are upset, but can you give us more information? How did you find out it was the pet food? We're your dogs seen by a vet? Where did you read about the other consumer complaints?

I am terribly sorry for your loss. You must be devastated.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Timetosew
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear of your double loss.

Posts: 179 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did find the website with the complaints on it. There are too many complaints about the puppy food and the small chunks to ignore.

However, I have a mom and 9 puppies on it, and they have not had any issues. I also have 7 rescue dogs who just started it yesterday, and so far no problems.

All my other dogs--10--are on the small chunks mixed with Diamond Lamb and Rice, and no problems. I wonder if it is a lot problem. Some issues could be with where/how it was stored in a warehouse.

I do feel the company must respond to all these complaints.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miss Ying Yang and Blade so much. Blade was a big puppy who loved to play..he was strong..wrapping those bear hug paws around your arm to get you to play and wrestle. He was 2 yrs. old Ying Yang a big teddy bear who loved to snuggle..he was 5.

I feel so helpless getting the word out to warn others. This bag of dry dog food was Pedi gree
small breeds. I had just opened and poured into Blade's dish. Ying Yang always snuck in to eat Blade's food. Blade was my sons dog and they live on the other side of the house. My son always looked forward to coming home to play with Blade, who learned how to pull your socks off which was halarious.

This happened so fast. Thought Blade was just tired. We have bunnies in the yard and the dogs run under the Verandas chasing them around. Thurs. Blake was ugging around, didn't want to eat. I left him alone just thought he didn't feel good. Then saw throw up on his mouth, when I picked him he groaned like achy. I washed him up and I laid him down with me for a nap. My grand-daughter found him dead in the foyer with blood from anal.I woke up to her screaming. I just freaked out. We were beside ourselves. It was a nightmare. We buried him with mystery thoughts and confusion.

Ying Yang is a bigger boy and I didn't notice anything wrong with him on Thurs. He is not as active as Blade. On Friday I notice throw up on his face and called the vet. couldn't get him him Fri..and made an appt. for Sat. noon. He died Friday night. Same ending. Now at this point I am a basket case. That's when I start thinking aboout the food.

I got on the web to search about Pedigree and found complaints with the very same symtoms that ended same way. I had no idea about this. Wasn't on the news. no recall - stuff is on the shelf. What the H*ll. I will never buy anything made by MARS, maker of ped i gree, whis kas, un bens rice and a host of 100's of products. They are closing plants and firing people on the spot I read. There are coomplaints of disgrunted employees.
There were 272 complaints about Ped i gree dry food...deaths and sickness. I know that is what happened to my babies.There is no recall. I have the bag of Ped igree" for small dogs..and am having it tested. I am also contacting an attorney. I will do everything in my power to get the word out..but afraid more animals will be affected...first. Animals to me are family, and my efforts won't die to save others. Guarantee all - that much. Thanks for listening friends. I feel a little better now. .

posted Hide Post
I too found the complaints and the reports from pet owners are very upsetting and exactly what REL describes.

posted Hide Post
Save the bag, get it analyzed.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, Chuck Steak ..on that. Luckily I have a few clients in that field.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Really Awful.
Cannot imagine the sadness, frustration and anger I would feel in your situation.
So sorry.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Oh how sad! Terribly sorry for your loss. TY for sharing with others about the brand that may be tainted.

Posts: 5198 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your kind thoughts. I am not done with getting to the bottom of this. My other dogs seem fine so far...miss my big teddy bear "Ying Yang".
Blade was my sons' dog.

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
OMG! that's horrible. I'm so sorry Frown

I hope you get some resolution from this. People need to know what's going on.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading sites...about huge chicken contamination
across US. Salmonella. Kills Animals. I am convinced Pedigree dry dog food is the culprit.

posted Hide Post
What did the lab analysis show?

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
still in process. F B I client pointed me in right directly with out spending alot.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
OMG, I am sooooo sorry to hear about the loss of your two furbabies. I cannot imagine anything so devastating. Losing one dog is bad enough, but two in a row due to poisonous dog food. You (the public) wasn't told about this and the product was never recalled before it was too late? You have my sympathies, I am so sorry. I pray your other babies aren't in trouble.

Posts: 2440 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
REL--I'm so sorry about Blade and Ying Yang. Do you think one of those disgruntled employees put something in the dog food, or was it that ingredient that was changed that caused the deaths of your fur-babies? Either one, how could anyone be so cruel? To put poison in food to kill innocent animals. That's terrible! My t's and p's are with you. It's bad enough to lose one pet, but two so quickly--I really feel for you.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Chadbourn, NC USA | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of propertylady57
posted Hide Post
How terrible REL. I am so sorry for you loss.

Posts: 2365 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: Dec 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys..been concentrating on my remaining furbabies. Seem fine.What a nightmare that was. Dogs are on Pu r i n a now and no problems.

Picture of annabel16
posted Hide Post
Wow, I absolutely cannot believe what you've been through, and I am so, so sorry. What an absolutely heartbreaking situation. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posts: 4057 | Location: New England | Registered: Jul 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor Chewy the daddy who is okay was loosing hair.. I should have taken that as a sign something was wrong
with previous food.. with new food growing back.

Per "Ped i gree Complaints" on the web people are still losing dogs.

Picture of talkingrose
posted Hide Post
This is such a horribly sad loss. Please accept my condolences. Thank you for informing others. This is such a shame and I do hope this nightmare gets much more public exposure. Take care and love the remaining fur babies.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Aug 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post