Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  HOMEMADE DOG TREATS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOMEMADE DOG TREATS Sign In/Join 
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted
Does anyone make their own dog treats? is it worth the time and trouble?

Posts: 3139 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I think it is totally up to you (and your dog) if it is worth the time or trouble.

Our dogs think a piece or two of their kibble is a treat, (heck they think bunny pellets in the yard are treats! lol) so why try to make them something extra special/home made? Wink

If you enjoy the process and really like to bake for them, and they love it and you for it, then it's probably worth it to you. Smile

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, conrad. You bring up a good point!
I've got better things to do!

Posts: 3139 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
I was going to make treats for my dogs but with 3 large dogs I decided it would take lots of time and energy. I was contemplating as I really wanted to get them away from all the treats out that are made with unpronounceable ingredients. I found treats at Drs Foster and Smith that have no extra chemicals or preservatives. Can't seem to use the URL thing so here is the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/...07+19+328&pcatid=328

My dogs love them. They are certainly not the cheapest treats but I am happier with the ingreient list than anything else I have found. Plus most of the natural ones don't come in large biscuits but even if they do the only size box would only last me a couple weeks.

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks debicga, but i'm really trying to get away from the expensive treats. if i had the money, it would be different.

posted Hide Post
I use the Foster and Smith treats too. My dogs really loved the dried sweet potato treats in the refrigerator section at WalMart but they were too expensive. I would like to make my own but my hands won't cut the sweet potatoes easily.

Posts: 2071 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
sis2...have you tried using a mandoline for cutting? No gripping a knife might make it easier.

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but I'm going to look for one.

Posts: 2071 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we make our own treats .....we use liver ....boil it they slice it into small cubes ,dry it on a sheet in the oven ....the dogs love it ,plus its economical www.somepets.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last dog I had was gracie, a big, goofy red Dobie. She was a walking garbage disposal... would eat just about ANYTHING!! If I was making a big salad, she'd HAPPILY devour the core from a head of lettuce (or cabbage), ends of carrots, cores from tomatoes. Used to have a supermarket that always had a section in produce for "less than perfect" stuff. Never nasty, just maybe not perfect anymore. Whenever that had those bags of "baby" carrots (which are NOT, BTW), I'd buy them for Grace. She was NOT a picky eater!

Niece gave me a cookbook from "Three Dog Bakery"... used to have a show on TV where they made treats for dogs. Nothing in recipes that you probably don't already have around and nothing you wouldn't eat yourself. Very little fat, sugar, salt... probably just what WE should be eating, right!?!

Posts: 5577 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I do recall the time I made "liver cookies" for the dogs from some magazine recipe. What a stink that was, when we baked them in the oven. (Thinking it was a mixture of beef liver, whole wheat flour, pinch of salt, veg oil, maybe wheat germ?) all blended in a blender, rolled and cut into triangles to bake on cookie sheets in the oven.

The dogs were not interested in the dough AT ALL, and avoided the stench coming from the oven...we went out for dinner for two nights till it was finally gone.
Once the cookies cooled, they enjoyed them.... developed a taste for them anyway, but never again did I try that experiment! Wink

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
sis
If you have a food processor, it will slice those vegetables too.

My son's dachshund, Kirk, should have been named Hoover. Son said that when he cooks Kirk is standing patiently by for anything that hits the floor. If it's onion, there's a scuffle to see who gets it first. LOL (Onions are not good for dogs.)

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After all the recalls for tainted food, I saw a recipe online that involves whole wheat flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter and cinnamon. Just mix it up, roll into a log roll, cut and bake. Very simple, inexpensive and not filled with junk! My dog likes them a lot and they are easy to make and quite inexpensive.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Sounds a whole lot better than "liver cookies" 16paws!Wink

posted Hide Post
The cinnamon actually smells quite good while they are baking. Can't imagine what your house smelled like after baking the liver treats!

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It was a REALLY nasty Stink! lol