HGTV Message Boards
HOMEMADE DOG TREATS

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/599109661/m/4203906667

Jan 09, 2013, 04:43 PM
Barb in Mississippi
HOMEMADE DOG TREATS
Does anyone make their own dog treats? is it worth the time and trouble?
Jan 09, 2013, 06:26 PM
conrad
I think it is totally up to you (and your dog) if it is worth the time or trouble.

Our dogs think a piece or two of their kibble is a treat, (heck they think bunny pellets in the yard are treats! lol) so why try to make them something extra special/home made? Wink

If you enjoy the process and really like to bake for them, and they love it and you for it, then it's probably worth it to you. Smile
Jan 09, 2013, 06:58 PM
Barb in Mississippi
Thanks, conrad. You bring up a good point!
I've got better things to do!
Jan 10, 2013, 01:26 PM
debicga
I was going to make treats for my dogs but with 3 large dogs I decided it would take lots of time and energy. I was contemplating as I really wanted to get them away from all the treats out that are made with unpronounceable ingredients. I found treats at Drs Foster and Smith that have no extra chemicals or preservatives. Can't seem to use the URL thing so here is the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/...07+19+328&pcatid=328

My dogs love them. They are certainly not the cheapest treats but I am happier with the ingreient list than anything else I have found. Plus most of the natural ones don't come in large biscuits but even if they do the only size box would only last me a couple weeks.

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~
Jan 10, 2013, 03:19 PM
Barb in Mississippi
thanks debicga, but i'm really trying to get away from the expensive treats. if i had the money, it would be different.
Jan 10, 2013, 04:42 PM
Sis2
I use the Foster and Smith treats too. My dogs really loved the dried sweet potato treats in the refrigerator section at WalMart but they were too expensive. I would like to make my own but my hands won't cut the sweet potatoes easily.
Jan 11, 2013, 09:38 AM
debicga
sis2...have you tried using a mandoline for cutting? No gripping a knife might make it easier.

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~
Jan 13, 2013, 05:10 PM
Sis2
No, but I'm going to look for one.
Aug 26, 2013, 08:55 AM
southpaw88
we make our own treats .....we use liver ....boil it they slice it into small cubes ,dry it on a sheet in the oven ....the dogs love it ,plus its economical www.somepets.com
Aug 26, 2013, 09:56 AM
thatchairlady
Last dog I had was gracie, a big, goofy red Dobie. She was a walking garbage disposal... would eat just about ANYTHING!! If I was making a big salad, she'd HAPPILY devour the core from a head of lettuce (or cabbage), ends of carrots, cores from tomatoes. Used to have a supermarket that always had a section in produce for "less than perfect" stuff. Never nasty, just maybe not perfect anymore. Whenever that had those bags of "baby" carrots (which are NOT, BTW), I'd buy them for Grace. She was NOT a picky eater!

Niece gave me a cookbook from "Three Dog Bakery"... used to have a show on TV where they made treats for dogs. Nothing in recipes that you probably don't already have around and nothing you wouldn't eat yourself. Very little fat, sugar, salt... probably just what WE should be eating, right!?!
Aug 26, 2013, 03:38 PM
conrad
I do recall the time I made "liver cookies" for the dogs from some magazine recipe. What a stink that was, when we baked them in the oven. (Thinking it was a mixture of beef liver, whole wheat flour, pinch of salt, veg oil, maybe wheat germ?) all blended in a blender, rolled and cut into triangles to bake on cookie sheets in the oven.

The dogs were not interested in the dough AT ALL, and avoided the stench coming from the oven...we went out for dinner for two nights till it was finally gone.
Once the cookies cooled, they enjoyed them.... developed a taste for them anyway, but never again did I try that experiment! Wink
Aug 28, 2013, 09:58 AM
KeepYouInStitches
sis
If you have a food processor, it will slice those vegetables too.

My son's dachshund, Kirk, should have been named Hoover. Son said that when he cooks Kirk is standing patiently by for anything that hits the floor. If it's onion, there's a scuffle to see who gets it first. LOL (Onions are not good for dogs.)

Sherry
Does this hat make my butt look big?
www.keepyouinstitches.blogspot.com
http://s193.photobucket.com/al...9/keepyouinstitches/
www.friendsofthedaingerfieldpu...library.blogspot.com
Aug 30, 2013, 10:09 AM
16paws
After all the recalls for tainted food, I saw a recipe online that involves whole wheat flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter and cinnamon. Just mix it up, roll into a log roll, cut and bake. Very simple, inexpensive and not filled with junk! My dog likes them a lot and they are easy to make and quite inexpensive.
Aug 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
conrad
Sounds a whole lot better than "liver cookies" 16paws!Wink
Aug 31, 2013, 09:52 AM
16paws
The cinnamon actually smells quite good while they are baking. Can't imagine what your house smelled like after baking the liver treats!
Aug 31, 2013, 10:59 AM
conrad
It was a REALLY nasty Stink! lol