Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  calming meds?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

calming meds? Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a 10 yr. old border collie and anymore when she rides in the car very long she whines especially if the roads are pretty curvy! I give her pain med before we start (she has hip dysplasia)and let her out every couple hr. Just wandering if anyone gives their doggies anything to calm them.
Thanks.

Carlene

Posts: 1758 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some meds out there for calming dogs. I know that they did not make any difference with our dogs but that's not to say that they don't work at all. I'd ask a vet and see what the vet has to say about it. Some breeds also can't use them.

Posts: 3230 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
DD gives their Golden Retriever Benadryl prior to long car rides, as he tended to get car sick. He gets drowsy and simply lays down and goes to sleep. Her vet recommended it. Check the site below? Proper dosage is important of course, so you might check with your vet.
http://benadrylfordogs.info/be...yl-for-dogs-anxiety/

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 15-year-old lab Sheba developed a chattering teeth problem after her 16-year-old sister Eleanor died. I'm sure she was not only grieving but frightened since her sister was the alpha doggy who ordered her around 24/7. My vet had me give her benedryl and it was very helpful. (It was a sad thing to watch. For example, poor Sheba hadn't ever been allowed to go to the window to bark. She had to stand in the middle of the room to do her barking. I had to teach her that she was allowed to do all sorts of things that Eleanor had forbidden. Sigh... When you have more than one animal in the house, there's a whole other existence going on that you have no idea about...)

Posts: 3497 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She may be whining because she is uncomfortable and sliding on the seat, especially on curvy roads. I had an elderly dog with hip dysplasia and she got so she did not want to ride in the car so someone either sat next to her in the back seat or I surrounded her with pillows and a comforter so she did not move around with the motion of the car

Posts: 126 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. We went on our trip I gave her
Benadryl added more blankets to the back seat and she did fine. No more whining. We do stop every couple hrs. to get out and it helps us all!

Carlene

Posts: 1758 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear that. Pkpk23's suggestion was a great one too.
I regularly travel between homes, about 550 miles, and our dogs have me trained. We stop every hour and half or so, potty break and just to walk for 5 minutes. This is different from earlier years when traveling meant trying to cover as many miles as possible and only stopping for gas. We all arrive much less stiff and tired, and even ready for a walk at our destination.Wink

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried giving your dog ginger before the car ride? Eating ginger is said to help dogs with motion sickness.

Source:
http://aboutdoggies.net/can-dogs-eat-ginger/

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As most have suggested, Benadryl is the best option, but if you are opposed to a medication like this, even though it is safe in the appropriate dosage amount you can try buying a bag of gingersnap cookies. My sister gives her dogs these as they are not seasoned riders yet and the ginger from the cookies usually does the trick, and they seem to love them, and they are dog safe!

Source:
http://www.anydogrescue.org/benadryl-for-dogs/

Living life to its fullest!

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another use for Benadryl. I self-diagnosed last dog with an allergy to grass. When weather turned nice, she would LOVE to just lay out in the backyard... and would soon start scratching & chewing. When this happened 2-3rd summer, I did take her to VET. Was told she could do "tests" (skin scrapes, etc) but that I was probably correct that grass was the culprit. Said, instead of starting with some strong meds, try Benadryl. She was a big dog, so dosage same as an adult human was fine. Within a day or 2, saw significant improvement. After that, as soon as warm weather rolled in, she started getting a few tablets in a blob of peanut butter.

Posts: 5657 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post