Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  "End of the Long Goodbye"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"End of the Long Goodbye" Sign In/Join 
posted
Beets passed from here to the Rainbow Bridge, peacefully and naturally, about an hour ago while I was holding her and petting her and telling her it was okay to go. I was hoping that she might make it to Friday, July 12th, so we could all celebrate her 20th birthday here but it wasn't to be.

July 12, 1993 was a very special day when she and three other kittens were born to a stray cat I had previously taken to a vet some nine weeks earlier to be "spayed" (still have the receipt dated May 14, 1993 to prove it) and I found the litter just hours after they were born in a ratty old box of glass containers containing vegetables in the old cellar house at our farm....

So now Beets will be celebrating her 20th birthday with her litter mates, Pickles and Beans and Sauergraut, at the Rainbow Bridge instead ~ I told her that it would be the best birthday ever for the four of them since the first one and I'd be there to walk with them across the bridge when the time was right.

This is the conclusion to the thread I started last August entiled "The Long Goodbye" ~ I want to thank all of you who have shared this journey with me.....

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
IR, I wish I was there to hug you right now. I can't even tell you how sorry I am about Beets. I'm crying as I type this, I can only imagine how hard this is for you. And right after losing Tigger. She was lucky to have you with her, petting her and showing her love to the very end. RIP sweet, beautiful Beets. You were a strong kitty and you were very loved. Sending you the BIGGEST (((HUGS))) and pra yers, IR. I'm hurting for you and with you. Cry

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aww, tears are falling for you here, IR, too. I am so sad to hear of this but so happy you were there for her all of these years until the very end.

It's so hard to lose one, let alone two, within such a short period of time. Cry as long as you need to. We'll keep kleenex and hugs coming your way.

{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yve*
posted Hide Post
My heart is breaking for you as I type this. I just found this, I hope it helps.

RIP Beets...

And G od asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked G od.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked G od
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown

~The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Mahatma Gandhi~

Posts: 1016 | Location: New York | Registered: Jul 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aww, Yve, that is so touching. I am so glad you posted.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Very sorry IR. You've had a tough week. Hugs to you. Yve, thanks.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
AWW I'm so sorry. Thank you for holding her at the end. I'll be thinking of you and Beets.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Idaho, I am so very sorry. I have been thinking of you each time I visit the board and I kept hoping that things were still ok. I am crying while writing this message. It's such a very hard time for you. I know that you have done everything for Beets--so much love and tender care over all these years. You are in my thoughts and prayers. You were such a good friend and I am sure that Beets left feeling loved and treasured.

Yve your poem was simply lovely thanks for posting it for all of us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 16paws,

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Aww IR...Count me in on the hugs and tissues.Frown I realize that you sensed this was coming, but that sure doesn't make it any easier dear friend.

Almost 20 yrs old...wow, that's a nice, long life for a cat! If only we could ask for way more time for our furbabiesFrown

I'm so glad you were able to be there even though I know your heart was breaking by the second.

Rest peacefully little Beets.

You are truly a wonderful pet parent, IR! You did everything in your power to rear not only that tiny litter of kittens...but all the rest as well! It's never easy to let go of something that brought so much joy and so many wonderful memories.

I'm with Gypsy Dancer on wishing I could be there to hug you.Frown

I feel so sad that you had to let go of two so close together! I know that's gotta be rough, IR.Frown

Yve, I loved that poem...although it made me cry. So sweet~

Gosh, I can't even type any more.

Love~

Paula

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
IR, I just wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts and pra yers today. Yve, your poem made me cry too...beautiful. If only G od had made the life spans of our dearly loved pets to match our own. Sending you BIG (((HUGS))) today, IR. Cry

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for your loss.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear about this. I haven't been on the board for several days and came back to see you've lost 2 babies. T's and P's your way. I'm sure there were never two kitties more loved and provided a wonderful life.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Timetosew
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry for you. It's seems like just yesterday that I lost my two so close together even though it has been almost two years. It really felt like double agony and I know you are going through that now. I'm sure Haystack will miss them, too. Sending lots of hugs your way.

Marilyn

Posts: 178 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 40kpaintchips
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry IR. I'm not on the board much, but I come visit and find you've lost two so close together. Of course I was familiar with the "vegetable" litter, I never knew about Tigger. I hope they're all bouncing around by the bridge, with all their youthful good health restored.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central New York | Registered: Jun 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have not been on in quite a while, so sad to read this.Prayers and hugs for your loss of both. I truly believe there is a rainbow bridge.

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm not on here often, but I do check in occasionally. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of all the furry friends. I do know what that feels like. They bring so much joy to our lives, with unconditional acceptance. Hugs to all of you.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6200 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry about Beets, IR. I know you're hurting-- Losing 2 beloved friends so close together. They give so much and don't ask for anything in return. I know you gave them lots and lots of love. And I know you'll always miss them.
Yves--the poem was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. T's and p' and hugs for you both.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Chadbourn, NC USA | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post