Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Prayer request OT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prayer request OT Sign In/Join 
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted
I know there are a lot of dog and cat lovers on this board, so hoping you understand my request. Our 14 yr old lab is having a hard time. It just started yesterday afternoon. He kept falling down and couldn't get his legs under him to stand up without a lot of assistance. He does have arthritis in his back legs, but has never had as bad a time as he is having now. We have been without power for 2 days and in the 20's at night, so the house got very cold. I'm thinking this might have something to do with it, but he is in a good bit of pain, whining and panting. The vet made us an appt for Tues morning. He does take pain medication for the arthritis, but had been out of it for several days. With the snow and ice and no power we haven't been able until yesterday evening to get his medication. We both love this dog dearly, but of course he is closer to my DH since he feeds, walks and otherwise takes care of him. Griffin weighs over 100 lbs, so it's very difficult for my DH to try to pick him up. DH is 75 and has always been strong, but this is a lot of weight for him to be lifting. Please pray that Griffin won't suffer from so much pain. Thanks ladies, I know you understand.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
oh yes...praying now. love all my babies...understand.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8900 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Will do. (((Hugs)))

Posts: 4088 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our old dog had arthritis and hip dissplasia(sp) and we were told by the vet to give him 1 aspirin/tylenol to help with the pain. He went thru the same. Thinking about you.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10150 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Absolutely will pray for your baby. My Scruffy has had a bad back for awhile but he only weighs 20 pounds. I've been lifting him up on things and up and down stairs. We started giving him something called Myristin, a tablet, for several weeks and it helped him a lot.

Posts: 949 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been through the same thing, but with a much smaller dog, a Scottie. It hurts so much to see them in pain and not be able to help. My prayers are with you all.

Posts: 1063 | Location: Smoky Mountains TN | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for the struggles you are having with your furrbaby. All of us who have had animals can relate to what you are going through. I'll be praying that the right treatment will be found for him real soon.

Nicki

Posts: 8331 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely will be praying. Our Huggy Bear has arthritis and the cold does bother him so much.
Many of us understand our love for pets. I will be keeping him, you and your DH in good thoughts.

Posts: 2314 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for your prayers, it means a great deal to me. We had a Weimermier before we got Griffin. She was 13 when she died in her sleep one night, she'd had a stroke a few months before but it must have not been a really bad one since she seemed fine afterwards. I've always hoped that Griff would go the same way, I know that's everyone's hope.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Please don't give him Tylenol. This is NOT good for dogs. Aspirin is ok! No doubt the cold weather has had a factor on his arthritis. A heating pad or warm hot bottles may help his discomfort. T&P coming your way.

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3065 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
So sad
amiko

Posts: 381 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Sending T's and P's for your fur baby! When we had our 130 lb lab that had hip surgery and had to go out-DH took a large bath towel and used it as a sling under his belly. Maybe that could help your DH with your baby.

Keep us posted!

PamSmile

Posts: 5869 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
The bath towel is how the vet assitant help our sadie a dobie, into the vet office she is 100lb
and just turned 12 on Valetines day , on 3 pills a day for her arthiritis , my dh and lift her back end up a lot. we do it on the count of 3 and she tries hard then to help. She also on water pill, we love her dearly, and it will be hard to loose her.

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Just saw this...I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers too!

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Hugs and prayers for all of you. Our babies are so much a part of our lives.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6656 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
UPDATE.....
Took our lab to the vet this morning and it looks like he has Vestibular syndrome. Our DD in Alabama told me yesterday she thought it sounded like what he had. Her golden had it several years ago so she was very aware of the symptoms. It's an inner ear disorder that lasts a couple of weeks and causes dizziness and nausea and the can't keep their balance. He's already feeling better after taking medicine for nausea and pain. Thank you so much for all your prayers.

Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Good to hear he is on the mend!

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3065 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad to hear that it is somthing that can be treated. It sounds like vertigo in people.

Nicki

Posts: 8331 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
That's wonderful news, Bunny. With the temperatures much warmer now, I hope this will help him too. I love my three little dogs...nothing I wouldn't do for them, so I understand.

My babies enjoyed their play outside today. They ran so much and now they are all asleep. Big Grin

Devonne

Posts: 14994 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Oh Barb I am so sorry to hear that griffin is so sick. I will pray for him and for you both to be strong through this. By the way I mailed your rug today. This time I got conformation on it.

J Lu

Posts: 1089 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Oops! I guess I didn't read all of the messages. Glad it is working out for him.

Ok so ill ask if anyone has had this go on with their cat. She (Alisa) has been biting her fur out of her legs for about 2 weeks. I thought at first a bird was in the house and she got ahold of it. Then i thought i did change her litter. Then my DH read that they do that if they have a belly ache. Then i thought it was because of all the snow and she to has cabin fever. she loves to go outside. We have changed her food a lot because she has a sensitive stomach. She will eat anything. She is getting old though. She is about 13 we think, we got her from a friend 10 years ago. Any help will be helpful.

J Lu

Posts: 1089 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Oh I'm so glad your pooch is better! Happy sigh.

JLu...is it fleas? Someone tolod me that they deposit their eggs on the back by the tail...could be something similar...

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8900 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
J Lu, so sorry about your kitty. I have 2 cats, one is 19 yrs old, the other will be 12 in Aug. I haven't had this problem with my cats (did have 5 cats). My DD had this problem with one of her dogs and it turned out to be a skin allergy. It may be an allergy to the different food, litter or possibly to some salt mixture for the snow f she's been out.

Our Griff is so much better today and is eating some. The vet told us he would call today to see how he's doing. Yes Nicki, this is very much like vertigo in humans.

posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that the vet was able to help.

Posts: 3226 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Good to know your furbaby is doing better.

For our grey when he broke his leg, I took a reusable shopping bag and slit it down each side and used it like a sling under his chest holding him up.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad Griff is feeling better. I hope he gets completely well soon.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Chadbourn, NC USA | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope that the medicine is working and that your dog is doing better.

Posts: 3226 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post