Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  strange wound on my dog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

strange wound on my dog Sign In/Join 
Picture of WWanda
posted
I know I will have to take him to the vet, but I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with this problem.

He has (what I thought was) a matted spot on his back, but upon closer inspection discovered that whatever it is looks pus-filled and oozing. He has not been wounded, nor could it be some sort of insect bite. Any ideas on what could have caused this?

Wanda

Posts: 4871 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
No idea, but a vet visit is a good plan.
You do not think it is a wound, however dogs are prone to rolling, back to the ground (especially over something they think is odorous). Perhaps something like a thorn or sharp object could have caused an injury?

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasminesMom
posted Hide Post
It may be a hotspot, let us know what the vet has to say.
Christine

Posts: 1469 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: Apr 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you happen to have an antibiotic cream prescribed for yourself or a family member, I'd start putting that on the wound. That's what my vet had me do with my dog's hot spot. Then after a few days, he called me to inquire. It wasn't completely healed so he had me continue for another three days. It cleared up, so I didn't have to take her in.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
How is the pup???

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, how is the puppy? Did you take him to the vet already?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Sorry, been away. He's going tomorrow afternoon. He's been fine, and whatever it was is gone.

BUT now he's acting very strange, constantly moving, can't settle down. He lays down for a minute and then he's on the move again. I'll find out tomorrow

Wanda

posted Hide Post
How's the weather in your area? My doggie is a great barometer. She gets antsy whenever a big rainstorm is on the way. I call it "rage against the weather"!

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Is he older? Maybe a touch of arthritis and he's uncomfortable? At any rate, best of luck with the vet and keep us posted.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I went home yesterday to pick him up to go to the vet and I noticed that his parts (sorry I know I'm a jerk for not getting him neutered) were really red. Obviously, he's been licking. So, turns out it's a skin infection. I don't know whether my vet was in a bad mood or what, but he talked to me like I was some kind of idiot. He said that that happens when the dog gets groomed and not dried properly! I looked at him like What?? This has NEVER happened before and the dog's been in and out of the pool, etc.

Now I have to put cream on his you-know-whats and try to keep him from licking himself, and he's on antibiotics.

I'm just glad it wasn't something more serious.

Thanks for asking Smile

Wanda

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yep...vets can have bad days too.
Hope his skin clears up rapidly.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've had a vet or two in a bad mood.

Get a lampshade (e-collar) for the dog, keep him out of water, etc. Cool place to lie on the floor might help too.

Did vet give you anything to keep him calm? Medicated shampoo? Or just antibiotic cream?

Posts: 3507 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post