HGTV Message Boards
Beneful Dog food alert!

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/599109661/m/2773958667

Jan 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
conrad
Beneful Dog food alert!
In case any of you are feeding Beneful, might take a look at this. Just to be safe.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/beneful.asp

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,
Jan 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
JasminesMom
That alert was from 2007, I cant find any recent recall's
Jan 21, 2013, 09:14 AM
Sparky
quote:
Originally posted by JasminesMom:
That alert was from 2007, I cant find any recent recall's

I read thru the whole SNOPES account and there was a January 2013 update at the very bottom. Nestle / Purina stand behind their product. We've never used it. Our Sheltie has been on Science Diet nearly all of his life. We found that Eukanuba would turn his black fur to a rust color.

Interestingly, this website doesn't list either brand as a 4 or 5 star brand.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Jan 21, 2013, 11:35 AM
conrad
Yes, there was a recent Jan 2013...update, that was why I posted this.

Any dog food can go bad when either shipped or stored under high temperatures or other bad storage practices. There was a local pet food store in our city that unfortunately stacked their kibble in a west window of the store. The heat through the glass caused the food to get rancid and many pets were either getting sick or just refused to eat it.

This can also happen in shipping, when a truck is filled and left in the heat/humidity/sun for days. This may possibly have been the reason that the first issue occurred in Texas?

And as Sparky mentioned, there are certainly much better quality foods (and some worse quality ones too).
We buy our NutraChoice or Blues food from Petco, where the food turnover and restocking is constant with lots of daily sales.
Jan 22, 2013, 01:43 AM
SheltiesMom
conrad thanks for the info...but I believe anyone who feeds their animals dry or bagged food should always check the dates and any flaws or imperfections in the bags

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." Ann Landers
"my hairy"kids Smile
Jan 22, 2013, 09:10 AM
conrad
quote:
Originally posted by SheltiesMom:
conrad thanks for the info...but I believe anyone who feeds their animals dry or bagged food should always check the dates and any flaws or imperfections in the bags

Absolutely.
Just saying bad (high heat) storage can lead to a rancid product in a short time, regardless of date or bag condition. Even in your own home.
Jan 22, 2013, 12:36 PM
Daphne
I have a friend who feeds her dog Beneful. I told her about this last week and she said her dog had been throwing up lately. She was going to switch food. I'll have to check back with her and see if the switch in food helped. Thanks for the heads up, Conrad.
Apr 12, 2013, 10:28 PM
Pammieb
We were feeding Beneful to our pug Arlo...he had the same issues that I have read other dogs having... we lost him and I do believe it was the food!