Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  3rd dental -my poor girl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd dental -my poor girl Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
She's resting, but has lost five more teeth Frown

This is the 3rd dental she's had in the five years we've had her. Her last one was only a year ago, and one tooth went bad that quickly. If you've not done so, please check your furbaby's teeth.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor thing! My vet is sooo expensive for cleanings, it's ridiculous. Seems to me more people would have their pets' teeth cleaned if it weren't so expensive.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always worry about the anesthesia they have to give them to clean the teeth. I mean, I understand why but I don't think it is good for the animal.

I am trying to decide now if I should have them cleaned this year or wait one more year. There is a lot of tartar. He eats dry food but nothing to clean his teeth because of allergies.

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We give dry as well. The problem is that dogs don't chew with the front teeth, and that is what's been lost.

She also just has had really bad teeth. We've had Pommy the same number of years and he's only had one dental. Though he's younger by maybe 2-3 years.

posted Hide Post
My little darling Phoebe is undergoing her first one today while I'm hundreds of miles away visiting my brother. She is a nine-year-old pekepoo. They are known for losing their teeth and she has none to spare, so I hope she doesn't lose any in the procedure. This is the first time the vet ever advised me to do it although I had told them to go ahead and do one a few years back when they were doing my bichon frise's. I came back from vacation and they told me they hadn't done one on her because she didn't need it. So I trust them when they say she does.

Daphne, EVERYTHING we do for our pets costs more than for ourselves!!!! It costs $45-50 to get her groomed, but $35 for me. Her flea/heartworm medication runs about $14/month whereas the only medication I take costs $3. It's a d*mn good thing they make up for it in adorability, don't you think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SMS,

You've got that right!

JC, how is your baby today?

Posts: 454 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's fit as a fiddle! We have a hard time with treats though. These two can tell time, and when he gets his chewie, shes waiting. I gave a bit of cheese today. Just a taste. She still will not grab with the front, but that's to be expected.

Happy healthy hearty little thing she is Smile Still baffles us why someone gave her up...

posted Hide Post
Yay! Phoebe is home again and has the same number of teeth she had when I dropped her off to be boarded and have her dental procedure.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky girl! Glad she's home Smile

posted Hide Post
Glad all the fur babies are okay.

When I told the vet my concern about anesthesia she said they do not totally put them to sleep to clean the teeth. Just use enough to mellow them out and they are fully alert within a half hour. Made me feel better. Will schedule a cleaning after the new year.

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post