Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Pet carrier / Dog crate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pet carrier / Dog crate Sign In/Join 
Picture of just josie
posted
I have my daughters 7 year old mini-dachshund living with us forever now. My GS is severely allergic to dogs and we don't mind keeping the dog here. Because she is so small, my daughter got her this small dog carrier, and that's been her crate since she came home from the breeder. It's small and hard plastic and the dog doesn't know any different. She sleeps in there just fine. However, last night DH & I were at this store and they had wire dog crates, the kind you would be able to put a dog bed in. Would it be wrong to switch beds at this time in her life and get her in a larger crate at, or do you think she would love having a new place with more room to live in when she sleeps. I'm really torn about this. What do you think?

j

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Is the dog out of the dog carrier all day long? (even when no one is home)A dog carrier is used for transporting the dog somewhere(to the vet or another location) The wire dog crates are commonly used when people do not want their dog free to wander in the house when no one is home. They 'crate' the dog usually when they go to bed and sometimes during the day, which I think is very cruel. If you cannot 'paper train' your dog, use wee-wee pads or walk the dog enough, then don't get one. A dog is a family member and should not be crated all day long. (over nite is ok!) I love dachshunds, I had one for 13 yrs.!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2526 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some dogs prefer enclosed spaces, some wide open spaces. When the dog is out of the carrier what type of places does it prefer to lay? Does it go behind a chair or in a corner? Or does it hang out anywhere people are?

For me, I prefer a crate to a carrier but I admit that is what I want, not necessarily the dog.

It is not wrong to switch beds. If you go for a crate you can cover it with a towel or blanket. Sometimes this is just temporary while they get used to it but it provides them some enclosure.

Let us know what you decide. Just curious how it will go.

Posts: 7219 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
If the dog has slept in this crate for 7 years then I think it would upsetting to her if she lost it. She's already in a different place and the one thing she is sure about is about to be replaced. She has no concept of "more room" like we do, it's familiarity.

Case in point: I have a 100lb German Shepherd. When he was young he had a large crate that fit him perfectly until he reached about 80lbs. Then I looked at him sleeping in his first crate (the door is always open) and his butt was pressed against one end and his nose touched the other. So I went and ordered online the biggest crate they make..it's huge! He can stand up and turn around in it with room to spare. You know what crate he prefers,the smaller one. He still sleeps in the smaller one and his 85lb little brother sleeps in the huge one.

BTW...by "crate" I mean those solid plastic pet carriers, I would never use the metal wire ones.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7535 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waverider Wink:
Is the dog out of the dog carrier all day long? (even when no one is home)A dog carrier is used for transporting the dog somewhere(to the vet or another location) The wire dog crates are commonly used when people do not want their dog free to wander in the house when no one is home. They 'crate' the dog usually when they go to bed and sometimes during the day, which I think is very cruel. If you cannot 'paper train' your dog, use wee-wee pads or walk the dog enough, then don't get one. A dog is a family member and should not be crated all day long. (over nite is ok!) I love dachshunds, I had one for 13 yrs.!

I agree, my dogs have pet carriers but the doors are always open...they prefer to be with us all day and only go in their crates when they want to sleep.

Danny Kaye

Posts: 7535 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Dogs should be able to stand and to turn with ease in a crate.
This dog can't do that in a carrier.
Got a pup (7 wks. old) (mostly choc/black Lab) in late June. Never in a crate before. On his own volition, went right in to one we were using.
Friday bought a LARGE and a LARGE bed. He sleeps better and longer. Went right in.
3 1/2 mos. old; 21 lbs. His head was grazing the top of a crate for a 40 lb. dog and his pup bed was too small.
Vets prefer crates for sleep.

Can you borrow a crate and see if the dog takes to it? I borrowed the up-to-49 lb.
Yes, dog is accustomed to the carrier but I think it would like to streth out some. Our pup did. Went right in to large crate, lay on his side; head against one side-feet touched other side. He wanted more room.

Posts: 5952 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Ask around for friends and neighbors who might have a larger one stored, that they are not currently using? Trial is a good option.

Especially small breeds can really prefer the protection of having their bed in and sleeping in a crate, especially during the day. They have no worries that anyone is going to accidentally step on them or drop something on them.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To go along with what Conrad said, you often find wire crates for sale in ads or places like that. Since they are metal they would not retain the smell of another dog after cleaning which could deter some dogs.

Posts: 7219 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
If you get a bigger crate, put the smaller one next to it so he can choose. That should be your answer.

BTW...the term "Crate" or "Carrier" can be used to describe the same thing. My pet Carrier is bigger than any crate they make, and more comfortable.

Wire crates can hurt your dogs feet if they stand on the wire, even if you have a bed or mat, they always seem to play with it and move it aside.

Danny Kaye

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-ma:
Dogs should be able to stand and to turn with ease in a crate.
This dog can't do that in a carrier.
Vets prefer crates for sleep.

You are assuming she can't....I didn't see her mention the size of the carrier in her original post? Sheesh, I can go in and turn around in one of my pets carriers and I am 5'9" 200lbs. and his bed fits just fine in there though he usually pulls it out. Smile

All the vets I know prefer a plastic pet carrier for a dogs indoor safe place. No uncomfortable wire to lean against.

Danny Kaye

posted Hide Post
That is funny because the vets I talk to have no problem with a wire crate. Must all be personal preference.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
That is funny because the vets I talk to have no problem with a wire crate. Must all be personal preference.

Yes, I agree

Danny Kaye

Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
Still sitting on the fence with this one. Yes she can get up and move around in the "carrier" we leave the door open except when we leave the house....but she is free to come and go the rest of the time. She is out more than she is in. DH thinks we shouldn't change and it would be more upsetting to her as this is "her place" *sigh*

j

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
That's been her place for 7 years, and now she has been uprooted from her home to live with you. It would be best to let her keep what she is used to until she is well accustomed to her new home. You can certainly buy any size crate you want, but please leave her old pet carrier to use as her safe place.

Your DH is right on this one....Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Danny Kaye

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I got my two cat carriers and a dog crate both from Free Cycle. Seriously, no joke!! It is amazing the things that people may be able to pass along to you. Timing is everything I suppose. Do you have Freecycle in your town or city?
E.T.A. The wire crates are comfortable if they are the correct size. You should put an old blanket on the bottom for the dog to lay on. A kitten that I just adopted from the backyard has been in our dog crate for a month now. He is let out for periods of time under supervision...... Good Luck! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2526 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
thanks......going to leave her where she is for right now.....she's happy Smile

posted Hide Post
Our wire crates have thick plastic trays with short sides on the bottom. We used them for three large dogs. They are meant for dogs as large as Great Danes--so they are extra large. Since the three dogs didn't get along, we had to use them if all three dogs were in the area at the same time.

I would keep the old one because the dog is used to it. Change is always hard and the dog has already changed homes so I would see what she preferred when both crates were present.

Posts: 3228 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
I agree....she's happy here Smile