Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Chronic Cough in Small Dogs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronic Cough in Small Dogs? Sign In/Join 
posted
It's not all the time, but just after she eats or drinks. And it's worse if she drinks after a hard run. Mostly nonproductive, except sometimes she coughs up water. Then she goes about her business.

My vet says this kind of cough is common in small dogs I think because they have a small trachea? Anybody here deal with this? What can I do for her? We have free choice dry small bites of food, and I notice it's worse after eating. So today I gave her canned and dry mixed and there was no choking afterwards. So I'm thinking she needs the moist food to help her swallow? I've never had a small dog before, but I've seen my son's chi gradually get worse with this over the years, and I don't want that to happen to her if I can help it.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Do you use a harness when walking? You are correct that wee ones have issues with the trachea. Talk to your vet about that (I'm not a vet and can't explain it well enough).

Is this a gagging cough or a reverse sneeze?

Posts: 3263 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had a small dog but would be interested in what people have done.

I hope you get more responses.

Posts: 7020 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No harness, no leash.

It's a gagging cough right after drinking or eating.

The vet explained that this is common in small dogs. My worry is that it will get worse as she gets older.

posted Hide Post
Lady's mom, is this common with a lot of small dogs or only those with a short nose? My friend has a Westie, about 4 years old and she has not had this occur.

Posts: 7020 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
My chihuahua a rescue is at least 10 yrs. old. His coughing spells have become more frequent with age. I've always known about the trachea sensitivity and used nothing but a harness on him.

He coughs when he wakes up from sleeping - that may be dryness, but then again he'll cough for no apparent reason.

Sometimes it sounds like he's gagging - trying to bring something up, but never does.

I've read and spoken to the vet about it. There doesn't seem to be anything, medication or cure. Just makes me feel bad for him.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carolyn in MI
posted Hide Post
My small one has the cough also and was told same thing by vet. Layla seems to do it when first going outside and also when she runs around. For walks she goes on harness only.

Posts: 22 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of phiferindia
posted Hide Post
My dog Tommy too coughing like a human. It sounds like human cough. This is from cough or from throat pain where we pull the belt or chain near neck when it keeps to run out of our control. I am confuse about whether it is cough or throat pain it is suffering so far.?

Security shield mosquito net

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should not be using a normal leash and collar. Use a harness when you take him out, and if possible don't leave his collar on him in the house. Nothing should be putting pressure on his neck.

Also, his food and water bowls should be raised off the floor so he can stand with his neck straight while eating or drinking.

This probably won't solve the cough, but it will make it more comfortable for him.

Another thing I know about, because my son has a grossly overweight chihuahua: the fat in that area puts a terrible strain on their lungs and heart, and causes serious breathing problems. Moose has now lost about 3 lbs, from 12 down to 81/2. It has probably added years to his life.