Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  A warning of sorts.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A warning of sorts..... Sign In/Join 
Picture of maryim
posted
My DD and DGD came home to find one of their parakeets strangled (dead) with a thread. The fabric cage cover was close enough to the top of the cage for him to chew and pull on. He probably pulled a thread out of a raw seam, then maybe paniced when he couldn't get out of it.

Not a pleasant sight to come home to....having to cut him out.

Posts: 5425 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
That is sad and unfortunate. Hope this warning can serve as a reminder to us all that these type of hazards exist for our pets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3421 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so sad...We had a kitten drown in the toilet many years ago. It NEVER had occurred to me that such thing would happen.

Posts: 3497 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You tend to feel so responsible when it does happen. Sorry it happened, but it is good that you may be helping others, by your warning.

Once Sis-inLaws Dog hung itself when she left it alone in a car, with the leash tied to the steering wheel. It attempted to jump to the back seat and the leash was too short.

Sometimes posts like these can help others, in case they had not anticipated unknown dangers to pets.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
Sometimes posts like these can help others, in case they had not anticipated unknown dangers to pets.

Exactly.

Posts: 3421 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasminesMom
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read of such sad tragedies, my Dad closed his recliner and killed his young cat,he didnt know she had climbed up inside it. Freak accidents happen.
Christine

Posts: 1469 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: Apr 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
My friend as puppy sitting....had the pup on a leash on their raised deck. Pup got through the bars and was hanging when she found him. She did CPR and got him breathing. Outside of his bark being horse for awhile, he is OK.

Posts: 5425 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep cords for blinds all bundled up with twist ties and far out of reach of June, the cat. Too big of a temptation for a cat!! She once had a close encounter with a brown paper bag... one with paper handles, like from Trader J's. I hear this commotion and see a BLUR fly by and up stairs into bedroom?? Found ripped up bag... June was nowhere to be found. She came out of hiding after an hour or so, without her collar?!? I NEVER found it... thinking it's behind RARELY moved big old Lane cedar chest. Lucky cat collars are "break-away". I use plastic bags from supermarket when scooping litter box. As soon as groceries come out of them I HAVE to so something with them... too interesting for a cat to ignore.

Posts: 5657 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thatchair, you just reminded me of something that happened with my daughter's cat..She got home to find Mocha dangling by a back foot from the cord to the blinds. We'll never know what all occurred, but several days later she noticed that the poor boy wasn't eating properly. She took him to the vet and discovered that he had dislocated his jaw. He had to go to the kitty orthodontist to have his jaw wired. I suppose he hurt his jaw trying to extricate himself from the cord????

I'm glad to learn that all cats collars are breakaway. I had to erect a taller hurricane fence inside my fenced in backyard (since the only one side of the fence is actually mine) to keep one of my big dogs from escaping the yard. My daughter convinced me to remove the dog's choke chain altogether by pointing out to me that Eleanor might not realize that she couldn't said over the six foot fence and accidentally hang herself trying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3497 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post