Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Pets
  Have A Question About Feral Cat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have A Question About Feral Cat Sign In/Join 
Picture of treee
posted
I have 4 cats. one of them is a feral cat that I brought in the house in Aug of 2012. she'd been sprayed and had her shoots. my question is that she got out on me yesterday and was out all night and I just got her back in the house. I want to know if I should keep her away from my other cats that haven't had their shoots this year yet. every time I open the door she wants to get out. do you think I should let her out like she wants.

Posts: 655 | Registered: Sep 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
treee, I'll try to answer some of your other questions when I have a little more time to post but want to answer the question of whether or not to let her out as she wants right away.

NO! DO NOT LET HER OUT ~ no matter how much she wants to go out ~ she doesn't know what is good for her and needs you to keep her safe! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
that's how I feel. I couldn't let her go. I just worry about my other cats. since I lost my husband they're all I have to keep me company. all my kids are grown now.

posted Hide Post
Understandable, treee, that you want ALL of your cats to be safe. And I really do understand when you say that they are all you have now that your husband is gone. My belated condolences for your loss....

Okay, it is very unlikely that your "feral" cat (btw the way, I don't really like calling her a "feral"), what is her name? Anyway, it's highly unlikely that she contracted any disease that could spread to your other cats in the short amount of time that she was outside ~ especially she has already been vaccinated.

But, if you are concerned, simply keep her separate from your other cats until you have a chance to talk with a vet ~ perhaps, give the shelter where you adopted her a call? So that you won't have to incur a vet bill ~ I really do think everything is fine but you need to determine that for your own peace of mind.

Now, why haven't the other 3 received their shots? Are they too young or is it a matter of cost? If it is cost, there are a number of programs available to assist with that ~ I'm just glad that you have found companionship and joy with the ones you have! Big Grin

And, welcome to the Pet Board where you will find many, many other people who share your love for animals! Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treee: I want to know if I should keep her away from my other cats that haven't had their shoots this year yet.

treee, I just re-read your initial post and realized that you may have meant that your other cats HAVE HAD THEIR SHOTS, just haven't had their yearly update. If that's the truth, then there should be no problem at all ~ the immunization effect from shots doesn't wear out on a time schedule although it is always best to keep all of them up-to-date.

Let us know how things are going AND KEEP HER INSIDE! Best of luck ~ looking forward to hearing back from you! Cool

Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
I don't drive. and since my husband been gone cost has been an issue. my girls name is "Possum". she kind of reminds me of a possum. I'm hoping by the end of next month they'll all have their shots. right now she's in the basement,away from the other cats. my other 3 cats are 10,9 and 4 years old. she's the youngest at just over a year old.

posted Hide Post
treee, Have your other 3 cats had their shots - any of them even if they aren't up-to-date with the annual boosters?

posted Hide Post
Oh, treee, I realize just how worried you have been ~ I hope I can give you some reassurance here. If your other cats, ages 10, 9 and 4 years old, have had their shots (even if they are not up-to-date on the boosters) and Possum had hers as well; the fact that Possum "escaped for one night" should NOT cause you to panic!

Seriously, all four of your cats, if they have been vaccinated previously, have built-up immunity to any diseases Possum "might" have been exposed to ~ and I say "might have been" because she was gone for a very short amount of time and she and all of the rest of them have previously been innoculated.

So let her out of the basement to join the rest of the family ~ just don't let her escape again! Cool

PS. I realize that the "only responsible response" is to tell you to check with a vet; but, honestly, if I took all of my cats for a vet-check everything one of them did something, I would never get out of debt and, probably wouldn't be able to afford cat food! So, I think things will be fine....

Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
the 2 older cats had the shoot they can get every 3 years. that was 04/11/09. and the 4 year old hasn't had she shoots but once. when we first got her.

Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
thank you for all your help and information. my husband use to tell me that I worry to much. its just that I've seen some new cats in the neighborhood. and if I know my Possum she was hanging around them.

posted Hide Post
treee, As I understand it, all four of your cats have been vaccinated against the most common diseases and you are worrying about the fact that Possom escaped last night and whether or not she might have been exposed to a contagious disease during that short amount of time even though she has been vaccinated.

I understand, but, really, treee, cats have escaped many times throughout the times and I don't think that you have ANYTHING to worry about.... Smile

Let her out of the basement to join the rest of the family ~ just DON'T LET HER OUTSIDE AGAIN!

treee, Glad you are such a great "cat-person" and care about them as much as you do ~ bottom line, the cats will be fine. Just let Possom come up from the basement and join the rest of the family. All will be good and so will you! Cool

Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treee:
the 2 older cats had the shoot they can get every 3 years. that was 04/11/09. and the 4 year old hasn't had she shoots but once. when we first got her.

Has Possum, the feral, had her rabies shot? When was her last booster?

Last I heard rabies shots are certified to work for 3 years. I don't know of any rated for longer than that. Harboring a cat or dog that is not current on its rabies shots can get you in serious legal difficulties. Rabies effects humans, too, and its always fatal. Thats why rabies shots for cats and dogs are required by law in most areas.

You need to get all of your cats in to the vet for rabies boosters, and you need to keep up with that shot. If money is an issue contact your local humane society. They may know of a low-cost source for those shots.

The other shots are less critical. I doubt Possum would contract anything else by being outside for 1 night.

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Treee, I don't know where you live, but in many areas some of the vets will have inoculation Saturdays where you can get rabies and other shorts for about $10 each. Go on-line and look up or check with several vets in your area.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post