Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Do you ever get a plastic postcard in the mail?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever get a plastic postcard in the mail? Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
Some places have started sending postcard-sized ads that have a punch-out gift card or other discount card attached. The whole ad is made of plastic (laminate?) and is as stiff as a store rewards card.

Don't throw the ads out. They make absolutely lovely thin and rigid edges to fold against when you're paper piecing. You can slap some clear package tape over the punch-out card to make sure it doesn't come off.

Yet another free item (not intended for sewing use) that we quilters can nab. Smile

Posts: 5427 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Starry thanks for the tip I get these all the time from Jarads and have always felt guilty throwing them away but couldn't think of a goode use.

Kayla

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 696 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Political ads last Fall. I used several to make different sized triangles for trimming up my scraps and marking accurate triangle trims when sewing ala Bonnie Hunter.

Also excellent glue spreaders. Worked good for the grouting in the bathroom, too.

Wherever there is a creative mind....

Posts: 5887 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
My other thought was scraping or smoothing something like paint or caulk? There have to be more craft uses for these freebies.

They're a little stiff to use for those flexible coin purses (like the Clover brand we discussed the other day), and the available plastic space isn't that big because of the punch-out.

Posts: 5427 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paus4quilts:
Also excellent glue spreaders. Worked good for the grouting in the bathroom, too.

We were posting at the same time. Great minds...Smile

Love the use for the p o l i t i c a l ads! We had a local p o l i t i c i a n who was to blame for totally changing our trash collection system for the worse. When he ran for re-e l e c t i o n and sent out flyers, I couldn't help but tape them all over my trash can! Big Grin

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
AARP also sends out smaller cards and that's where I actually started making the triangles. The problem with those is the punch out ID card. Had to tape over the punching. When the ads came, out went the AARP triangles.

The pol ad cards are a tad thicker than a regular postcard and I like that when I'm pp; gives just a bit more for better accuracy.

Love what you did with the flyers for your local beloved pol. lolllll

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Just returned to the board index and saw the thread about hexagons. Bet they'd make excellent template for those, too.

And, that sent me to making the template for the Clover yoyos, etc. I have the instructions for that if anyone is interested.

These laminated postcards just could replace the cereal box.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I don't remember receiving a plastic post card in the mail. However, at the office we received a plywood post card!! Thin wood...but still it was wood!

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
KYIS, when I was a little girl and my grandma would go to Northern Wisconsin for a trip she would send wooden postcards to us and we loved them. Grandma was thinking about us and we couldn't wait for her to get home. Thanks for the reminder.It made me smile. Pat

Posts: 7831 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
My grandmother would bring me wooden nickels from where she spent her summer vacations. "Don't take any wooden nickels" was still a joke back then. Smile

I think I even have one from my Sunday School class... Now why would they have been giving out wooden nickels at c h u r c h ???

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
"I think I even have one from my Sunday School class... Now why would they have been giving out wooden nickels at c h u r c h ???"

Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing? Things aren't always what they seem?

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9373 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was part of a s e r m o n, maybe it was some special Sunday commemorating something, who knows. My dad was in charge of the S. School classes, so maybe it was something he cooked up with his crazy sense of humor? (Gee, could that be genetic?)

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I get enough AARP cards (pretty much every week) to make a cardboard cabin! They sure could save some money by not sending me mail! I'll look at those things with a new respect now...see if I can figure out what to do with them. What to do...hmmmm

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8412 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
pattyj - You're welcome. Smile I've gotten memory jogs from many of you before. It's amazing at times what we remember from a casual 'comment.'

LOL Wooden nickels at church.

I've seen many wooden nickels or tokens in antique stores - the original purpose would be to exchange one for - ahem - services rendered by saloon girls.

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
I've been using those AARP cards for folding ever since I started PPing several years ago.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2179 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
I have two really old pretend credit cards that they used to send a few years ago. I use one for marking a straight line on graph paper or plastic templates and the other is the kitchen, I use it as a scraper when scraping dirty dishes on the disposal,then wash it. Works good.
I have also used them as paint knife to make textured mountains on canvas when painting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Happy Erme,

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3117 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post