Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Needing a New Rotary Cutter-What Do You Like?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Needing a New Rotary Cutter-What Do You Like? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted
Any recommendations? I have the little one so I guess it would be the 45mm. Would I like the crinkle blade too to pink the edges?

Posts: 9462 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
i never use the pinking blade. i have the 45 mm. i like the one that automatically closes after u use it. because i never remember to close mine.

Posts: 4907 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I like the one that Olfa makes with the blade that retracts when you lay it down. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Olfa...966?findingMethod=rr

Posts: 6475 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
LOL! Mandylifeboats and I were posting at the same time and said the same thing.

Posts: 6475 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
That's a great idea. I saw it today in an email from Nancy's Notions offered with the pinking blade for close to $30. especially after you add the shipping. Thanks for the tips.

Posts: 9462 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This made me think of another question - do you use the glove that they use on Fons and Porter Love of Quilting Show? I think that would drive me nuts to put that on and off! So, no, I don't use that glove! I have never seen the Olfa one that closes automatically. What a good idea!
Susan

Posts: 706 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I have used the gloves, and also by itself-glycerin on my fingers and even the pet grooming gloves with red dots all over them as they give you a good grip on the fabric! Who knew?

posted Hide Post
I always use gloves when I am quilting. The gloves I was asking about are the ones they use just for cutting with a rotary cutter. I guess the idea is that you can't cut your fingers. It would drive me crazy! The pet grooming gloves sound like a great idea. I will have to look for them.
Thanks,
Susan

Posts: 706 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
I think the Klutz Glove is the one Susan is thinking of. Smile

Martha

Posts: 6998 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
I have the same one pictured above. love it. the blade retracts when you let go. you can lock it open (the red button) but I never do.

CC

Posts: 4602 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Olfs one that you squeese the black part of the handle in and the blade pops out and retracts when done. The one in the picture posted above.

Have a Blue and black Kai(?) one that I use for batting as I don't like it very much which is why I use it for batting... Chris

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cksvett,

Posts: 5874 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Olfa. I love the automatic closing. I usually lock it closed with the button whenever I put it down. My cat loves to watch (and help) me cut fabric, so that's a great feature for me.

Posts: 1030 | Location: Smoky Mountains TN | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Nancy's Notions has free shipping with the code until May? I just got the latest catalog.

I use the 60mm Olfa almost all of the time. My hands are bigger and it feels more comfortable for me than the 45 or smaller - though I have them - also have the wave, pinking, etc blades Smile They are fun.

Posts: 6455 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lumpy Tush
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3094 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
My hands never could get used to the big Olfa cutters. I use the Fiskars ones & really like them. They're curved just right for my grip.

I use Klutz Gloves some of the time. Depends on how much cutting I'm doing & with what size ruler.

I do have some pinking blades on hand, and also a wavy one. Used the pinking one today. They're good for long, straight cuts. I still have to use pinking shears for tighter spots. When the rotary pinking blades get dull, they get put into the Fiskars cutter marked PAPER.

Same with the straight blades. I keep some old ones around for paper.

Edit - Watch JoAnn's sales for pinking blades. That's when & where I get all my blades.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

Posts: 5447 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
That Olfa one is my favorite one too. I also like a weird shaped red one HandieAnn introduced me too a while back.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lakequilter,

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Char is talking about the Martelli Rotary Cutter. It comes in a right or left hand models. I just bought a 2nd one as I have had to repair my first one a few times in the last couple of years. I really like mine.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3447 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fiskars have a lifetime guarantee too...I like mine. I have the 25,45 and the 60mm

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9926 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
I have the one that Mandy posted.

Posts: 4305 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with the Dritz 60mm blade that ONLY comes out when you put pressure for cutting! Love it... but my favorite is Fiskers 45. I have all the brands, but Fiskers is what I prefer.

And I bought one of those Klutz Gloves for my G'daughter Precious, and I have her use the Dritz cutter, so that the blade it never exposed... the MOST safety I can provide for her while she is finally learning to cut fabric... and loving it! Big Grin

And I do like the Olfa with the pinking blade for fleece and such ... but I never buy that kinda stuff without coupons from JAs, Hanc*cks, or Hobby Lobby... and Hanc*cks takes all competitors coupons Big Grin

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Fiskars, Fiskars, Fiskars, and another Fiskars. And the 'remains nameless' one that came with my Scrapbooking kit that is used only for paper.

Following my Carpal Tunnel surgery, I thought the Fiskars was easier on my wrist, more ergonomic. And I like the loop handle; think it gives better control, less chance of an accident. Unless you bump it off the table and it lands blade down on your foot.

Do you have access to other quilters? I was thinking the problem with purchasing a rotary cutter is you can't try them before you buy. If you have some quilty friends, try theirs and see how you like them.

Posts: 5920 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I have both a Fiskars and an Olfa rotary cutter the one I use the most is a Marinelli cutter. I bought it at a Sewing Expo and I love it. The shape is different and you could cut all day without your hands and wrists becoming tired.

Posts: 625 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: Apr 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
You know, I don't do enough to worry about the wrists. Where it gets ME is across the back of the shoulder from bearing down so hard.

Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I built a box and screwed it into the top of an old dresser. It raised the height so I don't feel back strain when cutting. Also, I now have an extra shelf, which is handy.

My Olfa is the most basic 45mm. I love it b/c I can use it with either hand. With yardage, I cut off the rough edge with one hand, then switch to cut the strips. I don't have to think ahead how I'll place the fabric on the cutting table.

The more ergonomic ones can be set up one way or the other, but you can't switch back and forth. So far, my hands and wrists haven't felt strain from rotary cutting, so I'll just keep the first one I purchased.

Posts: 3547 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TerryOH
posted Hide Post
If you are bearing down to cut, check your blade. When I seem to be pressing hard it usually means my blade is dull.
If your back and shoulders hurt, your table is too low. I use my old kitchen table and put bed risers under the legs. Now I can cut a lot and my back does not hurt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TerryOH,

TerryOH

Posts: 2372 | Location: OH | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Yup Terry that's why I want a new one. I think I'm missing the washer so it skips on me despite a new blade! I'm 5-2" and the table is the craft table from JoAnn's. Chronic repetitive strain is the overuse thing with me.

Picture of Joyce
posted Hide Post
I have both the Olfa that automatically retracts and the Marinelli. I like the Olfa unless I am doing a lot of cutting. The marinelli is so much easier on my wrist and arm if I am doing a bunch of cutting.

Posts: 917 | Location: Washington | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Joyce: I looked that one up..will my blades (standard 45's) fit on the Martelli?

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Auntie Reba, the answer to your question is yes. I have not found a 45mm blade that did not fit. And I have tried them all.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3447 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Handie Ann: Where do you purchase them?

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Where ever I can find the best deal. You can try Creatforless.com , Joann's, where ever you can find them. If you are looking for the cutter try Martelli.com or Creatforless.com. I got my cutters from a sewing expo. If something goes wrong with the cutter they will fix it or send you the parts to fix it. They have not charged me a dime for fixing my cutter and I have had it for years. Have fun.

Handie Ann

Picture of Quilts"R"Fun
posted Hide Post
I have both the Olfa and Fiskars rotary cutters. I prefer the Fiskars over the Olfa. Blades are interchangeable, but the Fiskars blades are less expensive. I have found Fiskars 5 blades for about $16 at WalMart.

Posts: 7902 | Location: In a big heaping pile of awesome fabrics! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. GREAT suggestions!

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I went to JoAnn's yesterday and they were out of the closable (automatic) Olfa. I saw the Gingher and used a coupon and asked if I didn't like it could I return it and they said yes so I'll try it. They DID have Fiskars available but so did Walmart. I was going for the Olfa as pictured above or sending for Martelli but I'll try the Gingher and see what happens as I have MANY of their scissors! Thank you all very much./it was good to hear the suggestions.

Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd have to say I prefer an Olfa---because that's the only kind I've ever used.

BUT-----I buy all my cutter blades from eBay. They come anywhere from a single blade to several blades in a "lot". I bought a "lot" of 125 blades (both Olfa and Fiskars) right after Thanksgiving and pd. $23+ change for the whole batch. I bought many, many, many more blades off eBay to use in CFQG prize pkgs.

Posts: 2485 | Location: EastTX | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
ok. That's GOOD to know!