Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  It's To Be Continued Thursday!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's To Be Continued Thursday! Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
Tonight we find out what happens to Michelle. In the commercial, she's shown wandering through a fabric store with metal shelves - looks like Mood - while Layana is shown somewhere with wooden shelves. So maybe they send the top 4 off to Europe and leave Michelle in NYC to redeem herself? I'm only guessing. You never know with that show!

And a BIG reminder: The show is 2 hours long tonight. It begins at the usual time but will run longer. If you're using some sort of recording device that needs to be told this, remember to tell it! And maybe brew a pot of coffee for it and for yourself. I know some Thursdays I fight to stay awake the whole 90 minutes. Tonight will be a marathon. "Stay awake, don't rest your head..." (cue Mary Poppins)

Posts: 5427 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on tonight's show being two hours.
I am in Cincinnati today for the quilt festival.

Posts: 3673 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Maybe WKRP will air Project Runway? Wink

Posts: 5427 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder, I just set my DVR to record. I'll watch in the morning.

Posts: 1678 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
TV Guide says the show is 121 minutes long tonight and the next 2 Thursdays. That means a recording device needs to go a little longer than 2 hours or that last minute might be cut off? Or maybe they're starting them a minute before the hour, during the repeat before the new episode? I don't know. In any case, be prepared for 121 minutes of show somehow. All I could find in any listing is that it "starts" at 9, if that is really true. That last minute has to come from somewhere, though!

The previews are saying "2-hour" show, so that's why I mentioned it first thing this morning, before I saw the 121 minute info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I'm drinking tea now at 3:30 and will do the dance class tonight til 7:30 but even THOSE do not usually help me get through this season. I'll start watching and tape when I fall asleep. Thanks for the HEADS UP off my shoulders where it falls...Smile

Posts: 9457 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Shoot, I'm already getting nervous for Michelle.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8412 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed this is the first season that we don't know anything personal about each one? Usually something would happen or be talked about in their personal lives about challenges or losses.

Posts: 3673 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Last week when Patricia hugged Michele she pushed her and the group away and said she did not want to be touched. In tonight's show a small reference was made that it was a personal thing. Then when Patricia walks into the room at the end she is the first one with her arms around her. I thought last week, wonder what her story was about such a phobia.
You are right we have not heard much about personal lives this time.
The show was pretty good tonight. I enjoyed seeing the little snippets of the foreign markets. The won where you cut your own fabric was different.

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3117 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Whew. Michelle did good.

Loved seeing the little "tours"....I was at the Berlin Wall years ago when it was closed and frightening...guards in the towers. Almost nice to see grffiti on it.

I'm excited to see the 12(?) outfits!!!!!each is going to produce.

Posts: 8412 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I think last week Michele's emotions were so high on the possibility of coming so far and the possibility of going home had her in such a way that she was "fit-to-be-tied". I can relate to that... When I am like that, I don't want to be touched either... I cringe when someone touches me when I am in that type of mood... I guess you have had to be "there" to understand the why from last week.

And in all actuality, Michele's outfit was way better than Patricia's last week and she probably was a little insulted that she was (almost) cut and Patricia's tent dress got to stay.

I would wear Michele's outfit from last week in a New York minute.

I am so glad Michele is going to the finale. I am excited to see what she and Stanley both will bring to the table..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25643 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I did NOT fall asleep! Loved the show tonight. I want to know, did they get to at least spend one night in their cities or did they do it all in a day, cause I can't fathom that. It's 5 hours to Paris from New York-the airport is a ways out..I remember a long taxi ride..over a half hour. Then they drove around; they walked a street or two; sketched; went to a fabric store; flew back? and started working? That seems totally impossible to me. You'd need a night in there and MUST eat in a Parisian restaurant and then fly back and start work.

ANYHOW, the discussion with NINA was super interesting about is fashion art or meant to be banal, boring? In a commercial sense, no, but for the sake of the show, why not? I will be curious to see what Patricia makes..will she come up with some flattering (not shapeless) designs that could catch on? Her fabrics are fascinating and fun.

Also I'm curious to see if Daniel will have some innovative ideas. His Berlin design had a GREAT hemline-I really liked it. Have to say that they practically said that Stanley has the whole kit and kaboodle...sounds like he has it wrapped up. GO MICHELLE!

Posts: 9457 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
I have a problem with them allowing Patricia to continue making these immensely labor-intensive "textiles" which in the commercial market would be totally unrealistic to produce. In the past, when constestants have made their fabrics, they have been criticized for it being crafty and not financially feasible. We all know that you can make the same thing X times and each one will turn out different from the others.

Heidi said last night that she would wear Patricia's designs but I can't see her wearing last week's sack.

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I don’t know where to begin!

I was surprised how it was graffiti that inspired Patricia. In all of Paris… Well, never mind. We knew she was going to create a textile. She found something in Paris to pin it to. I was just glad she didn’t get paired with Richard again!

Daniel sure was giddy in Berlin. Glad Amanda was there to rein him in.

I thought Layana was spot-on with the tile idea from Barcelona.

Stanley surprised me with the “lady in the tower” idea from London.

I’m sorry Michelle was in a mood (and in Mood). At least the bus ride lifted her.

As far as the outfits...

I did not like Daniel’s fabric choices. I know his store wasn’t the best, but I cringed when he pulled pleather. It could have gone "cheap," as Nina likes to say. I got one good close-up look at the seaming on the jacket last night. I guess he moved beyond the look of plastic? The long boots were a good idea, but I don’t know… Did that total look really cost $1000? It didn’t appear to. I knew Heidi was going to say something about how the model looked German.

I loved Layana’s lacy fabric!! My favorite fabric from last night. She put an awful lot of work into that coat to make it look tiled. I happened to like the surprise of the pink ruffly sleeves. I thought it was a nod to Flamenco style. Tim liked the coat, didn’t he? It felt to me as if the judges were looking for a reason to send her home…???? Felt sorry for her. I liked a lot of her designs this season. Maybe they felt she was too immature to be the winner?

Stanley disappointed me, even though the judges gave him the win. I wished he had used that leather sequined fabric where it could have been seen more. I think his original idea of inside the cape would have been great. It looked like he really did buy enough of it to do that, when I saw it inside the dress slit. Again -- $1000 look?

Michelle’s “50 Shades of New York” leather piece was interesting. She quilted it – yea, Michelle! I didn’t care for the grey dress below it. I thought she used too heavy of a fabric. The hem showed that. Her smudges might have been a good idea in concept, but I had to agree with Heidi about how it made the finished skirt look dirty. NYC is that, but she could have found an ombre fabric or a print to overdye & captured that look in a more subtle or interesting way.

Patricia’s sleeves were good, and of course, bonus points for creating the fabric. But I’ve been saying that Patricia’s good fabric without good design doesn’t cut it in this competition, and last night the judges agreed. Heidi’s pulling for her & it sounded like she really wanted to give Patricia a chance at her dream. Didn’t the first show say that Patricia had given up a marriage to go after that dream?

Next week – do you think they’re going to eliminate another designer? Haven’t they pared it down to 3 before the runway show on past seasons? And I wonder how they’re going to do the “team” thing now? Send helpers home?

Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quiltahol I am so glad Michele is going to the finale. I am excited to see what she and Stephen both will bring to the table..

Who is Steven?

Erma

Posts: 3117 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
well i fell asleep during the show. who got eliminated? and who's going to the fashion week.

patsy

Posts: 3406 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
I thought Stanley's simple black dress and cape were SO boring. Nice. Nothing wrong. But didn't seem very creative.
Daniel seems like a nice guy and can do some things, but his stuff is only "hip" when he has a younger assistant.
I am still curious about Patricia's stuff and understand she wanted to deviate from the typical expected Paris gown.
Layana is young and has been noticed on the show so she has many years ahead of her in a good career.
They didn't show Richard - I REALLY want to know if he was helpful to Stanley (showing he intentionally slacked off with Patricia) or if he was still pouty and lazy.

Picture of SheriV
posted Hide Post
I thought 4 of the designs were "nice"-I figured one of the long black ones would win. I was glad Michele did something the judges liked. I didn't think Layana's was that bad, I thought the worst one was Patricia's but I knew she wouldn't get cut-they like her and Stanley. I really don't care who wins-none of them stand out. I can't wait to see the collections though.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Jun 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Stanley.. Stephen... aww what the hay.. what is a few letters... lol

I just mis-spoke... something we all do from time to time. lol

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25643 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
I like it when Tim visits their homes. I hope that is next.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Just watched the tape last night. Um..

Patricia.. she hasn't done anything nice since the beginning of the show. She really doesn't belong there.. however, as stated here - they like her.

Stanley - They really brought Richard back to assist! Really bad idea! I also would have liked to see the working relationship between him and Stanley. Stanley certainly didn't get along with his helper the week before, and Richard didn't get along with his designer. Not sure I really liked the large standout zipper down the back of the dress.

Layana's jacket was gorgeous! The blouse could have had shorter flounce - that would have looked better. She's young and has a problem with time management (as a few of them have).

Daniel - very nice, cosmopolitan look. That's one of a few of his designs that I liked.

Michelle - Can't say I like the total look. As stated too heavy a material for the dress and the idea of smudging the bottom? Um? That hem line - liked, but not the seam - way too large and standout.

Oh well, will be fun to see the final 12 outfits from each of them.

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Anyone from the '60s, remember the Carnaby St. look or London Look? That's similar to Layana's coat; I liked what she did with the fabric and was surprised at their reaction.

I never mentioned Stanley's design because I didn't think there was anything new there. Frankly capes have been around for a loooong time. Thought it was a MISS.

Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Well, I liked Layana's jacket, but I didn't care for the long flounce on the sleeves of the blouse. I could just see those getting caught in things and dragging though your food if you were eating. I like Stanley's dress, but didn't care for the cape part. I sure didn't like Patricia's jacket, it was the sleeves that got me. I thought sure she was going home. I liked Michele's dress, but thought it would have been better out of a lighter weight fabric, and did't really like the smudged bottom. Daniel's looked younger for a change and I really like the seaming he did on the jacket.

Can't wait to see what they come up with next week.

Posts: 1678 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I reacted to Patricia's sleeves during the judging, when her model was standing there with her hands down at her sides. I thought finally Patricia made something that wasn't a sack. The sleeves gave some shape to the jacket and made the bodice & waist of the jacket look slender. But now that I see her model online with her hands on her hips and the sleeves out to the sides...no. Not as pretty. The sleeves look like 2 giant bug cocoons popping open.

I think she should have gone home. She really had the ol' Heidi Save.

Now that I look at the final collections again (online sneak peeks), it's getting easier to spot who made what.

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
ok i'm reading all the post and i still don't know who is going to fashion week..who are the final 4?

patsy

Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
The final 4 are; Stanley, Daniel, Michele and Patricia. Layana went home.

Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Patsy, Layanna was sent home. They hated her jacket. I really like it. She went to Spain and I thought it looked very Spanish, she had a top under it that did not go to good with it. Patricia's outfit was better than last week but it is not anything I would wear. Stanley who won was just ok. I didn't like the how he put the shimmery fabric underneath. I have a sequined blouse that I can't wear because the sequins irritate my skin. So I felt sorry for the poor model having it right next to her skin.
Michele's Skirt was too bulky and the hem was weird. I do not even remember Daniel's so I guess it was not to my liking.

Erma

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Oh - sorry Patsy - forgot to mention the finalists & the one who got booted! Red Face

It's DH's fault... The "I'm going to paint this by myself, I don't need your help" project turned into guess what, and I've been a leeeeeettle distracted today, jumping up & down from whatever I'm doing to solve one of the multitude of problems that he's "doing himself." Roll Eyes

And don't tell him that I just rolled my eyes. Oh wait - he hasn't read 50 Shades - it's OK! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
Layana went home and patricia stayed. I can't believe it. I loved her jacket and i sure don't understand Patricia's style.

patsy

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Nothing Patricia has done looks anything like what she showed to get into the competition. Where is that hiding????

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
It seems like Patricia really struggles with the 1-day & 2-day show deadlines while trying to manipulate fabric. She'll have more time now, so let's see what she makes of it...

Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
This is a test to see if my avatar is working...was hard to figure out how to add one.